Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A simple thing I wish he was here to experience

Jen H

• Members

His favorite football team Michigan beating Ohio State in like forever and making it to the national championship game.  He would have been so excited!  

• Like 1

• Members

Jen H,

Michigan played great last night.  Your husband would have been, or is, very pleased, I am sure.  Our UF Gators had a pretty miserable year this year (as did most Florida teams) and I could hear in my head my husband's disappointment and frustration all season.

I feel the presence of my hubby when I watch football now. I know which teams he liked and disliked and I cheer for him. When he was alive, I was not much of an NFL fan. (The whole family was into SEC, Gator football.) I was happy for him if his NFL teams won, but I would often be doing my own thing, cooking, reading, playing with the dog during those football games.  Now I often watch NFL games by myself, but talking with John, really pulling for his teams to win.  It's sort of strange I guess, I feel like I watch college football for me and I watch professional football for him.  I feel very close to him during both. 

Congrats on Michigan! 

Gail

• Like 2

• Members

We loved watching sports together.  We seemed to like different teams for the most part.  I am not a Michigan fan.  Live in Michigan but grew up in Ohio.  So it was a double whammy for Michigan to finally be doing so great.  I don't like them and I couldn't see him be so happy for them.  He also loved the cowboys and they're doing so well finally too.  Go figure.  

• Like 1

• Members

First of all, that was an exciting game last night!  My son, his wife, and my granddaughter came over for dinner, and stayed til midnight to watch the game with me.  We all had a great time!  Paul would have loved it!  Oh...and we have all lived in Ohio our entire lives!  Nobody in our family ever wears red!

My sweet husband was never really a sports fan, but when he met me, he watched games with me, and shared the emotional roller-coaster that any fan rides through a season.  I remember soon after I met him, we were at his apartment, and he was flipping through channels on the TV.  I asked him to go back and check the score, because my team  was playing (I'm a huge college basketball fan).  He said, "Wait!  You have a team?  That means we have a team!"  And he was a fan from that day forward!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm so glad you had that shared time with them, my kids don't live here and I miss them terribly!  :wub:  I love that your husband was a huge fan (of yours!).  Mine was too.