Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing my brother to schizophrenia

Cat97

• Members

My little brother who was 23 and I am 24 killed himself four days ago. My brother suffered from schizophrenia and psychosis for years. I took care of him and he lived with me on and off for years. We have been inseparable for our entire lives and best friends. He had hurt himself in the past and had to be saved. When we talked about it he said all he remembered was hearing demons and then blacking out and waking up in the hospital. He was very embarrassed of what had happened. My mom was the last to speak to him and knew he was having an episode and told him to get to the hospital. He was staying in a hotel near my father and was waiting to come home to me the next day. But they had found he had violently killed himself. All i can think about is my brother was so excited to come home to me and he had no idea what he was doing. My brother never wanted to die. He wanted to fight. The funeral was yesterday and it felt fake. My brain feels like it can’t take in any information and accept what has happened. I still believe my little brother is coming home to me and I am so scared for when it becomes real that he is not coming home.

• Hugs 2

• Members

@Cat97 I am so deeply sorry that this happened. I found your post because my brother just died, he was also schizophrenic and I am struggling. I hope that the passing months have found you even a morsel of relief. I am sending you good thoughts x

• Members

My daughter is also sick she in the hospital because she says she wants to commit suicide no body is taking this serious  her voices in her head are getting worse Im so scared she’s leaving to go live with her sister where I believe she’s going to do this I am in deep  turmoil right now I have no support my mom thinks this is a game  I just want my baby to live she is 21 years old she wrote a letter the date is oct23 and the other date is on her birthday Dec 2 she will be 22 I need REAL HELP PLEASE GOD HELP ME I dont wanna loose my baby girl My heart goes out to you sweetheart My pain is yours Your pain is mine 

• Members

I’m so sorry about your brother.  I’m currently terrified I will soon be in your shoes.  My brother is also I’ll with schizophrenia.  He recently cut off his thumb and now, two weeks later, he has stabbed himself in the stomach.  I feel so helpless as does the rest of my family.  It seems there is no help.  The hospital only keeps him a few days and releases him, even though he is clearly not stable.  There is nowhere for him to go to stay safe.  Our system has failed him. It makes me sick when I here how improved we have become with regards to mental illness. Why don’t they take a look at out homeless community and see that they have failed the mentally ill.  

• Members

I am so sorry to hear this. It breaks my heart. My little brother, 22 years old committed suicide last week. He has suffered from schizophrenia for the last three years. I’ve lost my brother twice, first to this horrible disease and now forever. Nothing seems real and I don’t know if life will ever be the same again.