Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How to navigate this…

Krock17

• Members

My mother has unfortunately been gone for a number of years. My brother just got married after only a couple months of knowing his wife and although I do like her, there have been some things that have bothered me. Not anything she has done. I have noticed my brother gave her some of my moms clothes and nice dishware. Not to mention at the wedding she told me he gave her some jewelry of my mothers. Maybe I’m being too sensitive or territorial but it felt like a slap in the face some what because I was caught off guard. I’m just feeling different emotions right now. I know he has a right to have some stuff but his wife never knew my mom so I just don’t know how to cope with this situation.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Dear Krock17,

I'm sorry you're dealing with this and your feelings are understandable. It sounds like your brother wants to show his wife how important she is to him by sharing your mom's things with her. And yet, she clearly didn't know your mom or had the same relationship you did with her. If there is something that you would like to have of your mom's, I would try and talk to your brother about it.

I was thinking about Prince William and Prince Harry and how they gave their wives many special pieces of jewelry from their mom's collection. It's one way to show love.

I know these family situations are tough. Take your time and hope others will come forward to share their experiences.