New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

Loss of my 10 year old furry friend

amydee

• Members

2 months ago from today I lost my best furry friend of 10 years. His name was Tommy. He was a gift from my best friend when I lost my first cat.

Before his death, he wasn’t himself, all he did was lie down and not eat. I called our vet to check up on him and he diagnosed him with a fever. He gave him an injection and prescribed the cat with antibiotics but Tommy wasn’t feeling better. He then didn’t want to eat nor drink. He even puked out the medicine!

The hardest thing was my family had to go on a trip. We dropped him off at grandma’s house. My gran spared my feelings and said Tommy was fine when I call her but 6 days later, when we came back from the trip. My mum announced Tommy passed away. It was the hardest day of my life. My grandma said he had hypothermia and his state didn’t progress while I was away…

Right now, we have a new cat Teacup and she’s wonderful but I can’t stop thinking about Tommy. It might have been of old age but I can’t stop thinking “What I could’ve done” or  “what went wrong”.  I don’t know what to do. I want to bond with our new furry friend

• Like 1

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss of Tommy, I know how great the feelings, how had it is to go through.  Grief has a beginning but not an ending, but it does evolve.  In early grief it's common to go through all of the "what ifs" in an effort to find a different possible outcome, only there is none save the one that happened.  We don't have the benefit of hindsight ahead of time.  Some things we can't stop, much as we want to.  That's how it was with my loss of Arlie and Kitty two years ago.  

Give it time and your Teacup will worm her way into your heart, even as my Kodie has.  He is nothing like Arlie, Arlie was a gentle giant and Kodie is small.  Arlie did Husky talk, and very high level of communication, Kodie doesn't do that.  Arlie could hold me up when I had to get stuff out of my shoe (on our walks) but Kodie is too small.  I could hug Arlie's big body.  Kodie likes to climb on my lap, something Arlie couldn't do.  Kodie is adorable and spins when he's excited.  They are just two very different dogs.  I've found this to be true about all of my cats too, all very unique.  Get to know Teacup's special qualities, and love her for her.....she will never be Tommy, those unique traits he possessed are a tribute to him, but she will become close to you too, in time.  One never replaces another, but they can gift us with who they are and give us purpose/incentive and bring us a smile again.

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/11/2021 at 12:34 PM, KayC said:

I am so sorry for your loss of Tommy, I know how great the feelings, how had it is to go through.  Grief has a beginning but not an ending, but it does evolve.  In early grief it's common to go through all of the "what ifs" in an effort to find a different possible outcome, only there is none save the one that happened.  We don't have the benefit of hindsight ahead of time.  Some things we can't stop, much as we want to.  That's how it was with my loss of Arlie and Kitty two years ago.  

Give it time and your Teacup will worm her way into your heart, even as my Kodie has.  He is nothing like Arlie, Arlie was a gentle giant and Kodie is small.  Arlie did Husky talk, and very high level of communication, Kodie doesn't do that.  Arlie could hold me up when I had to get stuff out of my shoe (on our walks) but Kodie is too small.  I could hug Arlie's big body.  Kodie likes to climb on my lap, something Arlie couldn't do.  Kodie is adorable and spins when he's excited.  They are just two very different dogs.  I've found this to be true about all of my cats too, all very unique.  Get to know Teacup's special qualities, and love her for her.....she will never be Tommy, those unique traits he possessed are a tribute to him, but she will become close to you too, in time.  One never replaces another, but they can gift us with who they are and give us purpose/incentive and bring us a smile again.

I hope this short video brings you some comfort and peace...

@KayC  This was a wonderful video. I’m glad Tommy has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I’m sure my first cat Tom welcomed him with open arms (… or paws) . Tommy was the sweetest cat ever. He would comfort me when I’m down. It’s hard … I had him for a decade ! 10 years of bonding and friendship. Even my family knows how much I loved him. I honestly wish I was there to comfort him to the end… even if I knew he wouldn’t make it… I would hold him in my arms, doing my best to warm him up before he crossed the Rainbow Bridge…

• Like 1