Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My puppy got ran over

MadisonA

• Members

A little over a month ago, my boyfriend found a puppy chasing cars. She had fleas, no collar, and was terribly skittish, so we ended up keeping her. I was working at Food City at the time, so he sent me pictures of her and when I got home she acted like she knew me already. She loved us from the time she met us, and vice versa. I loved that little girl with all my heart. She was playful and the sweetest little thing ever. Even from the beginning, if I was sad, she just seemed like she knew and wanted to help. She would stare at me like she was trying to figure out what I was doing. I felt less and less sad as the days went on with her in my life. 

She soon had to spend the night at the vet because she had parasites very bad. I had to pay $250 just for them to deworm her, because she would not eat or drink. I cried every day that she was away, which was 3 days and 2 nights. When we picked her up, she went crazy. She had very bad separation anxiety, she yelps and barks like she is getting hurt. But it is her excitement. The vet said that she was 7 months old, which I can't decide if they were right or wrong, she just seemed like she had puppy teeth still, and she slept constantly when we first had her. The vet also prescribed her pain medication because se was apparently in so much pain from being abused by whoever had her before. The poor little girl never got a fair chance. Not even with us.

Finally, she was better! She loved being home with us, she just wanted to bask in the sun while I rubbed her little polka dotted belly. That was September 3rd. Her little arms were shaved from where they had to give her fluids. She only weighed 14 lbs when she went in. 

She ended up bonding with us even more over the course of almost a month. She learned to sit, very very good. She would eat her food on  the table, while standing in the kitchen chair. She would get a bite of everything I ate, so she would sit patiently and wait even if my food was right in front of her. She knew she would get some. Whenever I would put on jeans to leave, she would nuzzle up to me and it just felt like she knew I was leaving or like she was saying she loved me. It makes me cry every time I think about it. She really was the sweetest little thing. I love her more than anything even though I had her for only a month. I spent every moment I had with her once I quit food city. I was working from home right after, so we would get up at 8:00, feed and let her out, then once she got back and I was on my computer, she would go back to sleep on  me. We would play throughout the day and I would rub her belly and kiss and hug her. She made work seem not so bad. She is the reason I was working from home, I didn't want her to feel t hat separation anxiety every time I had to work. She really trusted me, she would sleep on me all the time and if she was scared she would get behind me or get me to hold her. 

Yesterday, September 27th, I was in the living room with my boyfriend and my puppy went outside without us realizing it. Boyfriend goes and gets her, because she knows how to squeeze through our fence. A few moments go by, and we hear a loud bang outside. I thought a plant fell off our porch. It was my poor puppy. I ran outside as soon as my bf said what it was, and she was mangled. It was the worst thing I have ever seen in my life. I tried to comfort her because she was shaking, and it seemed like she was still alive. I got my bf to put her down because there was no coming back from this. She would have died before getting her to a vet, she had the whole road covered in blood within a minute. I petted her head. it was so badly deformed. I couldn't even understand what was going on. I just look back and wish I would have talked to her and tried letting her know she wasn't by herself. I didn't even realize what had happened until he came to me crying. The man who hit her was going over 50 mph down a residential road where  no one is supposed to go over 35. He went and turned around just to let me know how it was her fault, not his. I would have rathered never speaking to him. He even lives on the other end of the road, which has its own way to the main road. he had NO reason to be coming this way, let alone speeding. It makes me so mad to think about him. I just wish I could have my girl back. I keep thinking of how much anxiety she had to have been going through in the road :( I just hope she knew I was trying to help her, and that I made the right decision by getting her  put down. I wish I could pet her little snout one more time..

I cried all day yesterday, and all day today. I get brief moments where I forget she is gone, and I am content. As soon as I remember anything about my poor little girl, I burst into tears. I can't understand that I will never see her again. I don't understand why or how this even happened. She had been doing whatever she wanted this whole time, and she was fine. This doesn't feel real at all. I am so sad and my home no longer feels like my home. She was here almost as long as we were. She is what made this place not so bad. She had a personality that no other  animal has had, and I've had a ton of animals in my life. She really loved us and it hurts me so bad that I couldn't even protect her the way she was trusting me to. I have never cried over losing an animal or even a person. It really seemed like she was meant to be with us. She didn't like other people for some reason, but she was quick to come to my boyfriend when he got her. It just seemed like fate that we had her if she only took to us this way. I imagined her being with me for years. Now I don't even know what I'll be doing tomorrow. Pictures of her make me cry but all I want to do is look at them and pretend she isn't gone. 

I have no idea what to do, it hurts so bad. 

baby cropped.jpg

baby just got home.jpg

I don't hope that she knows why she was put down. It looks weird while rereading it. I mean I hope that it was the right decision.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  Your little girl's personality sounds like my little boy's.  Very sweet.  God it's the hardest thing in the world.  When we lose our dog every bit of routine we had with them is a huge reminder of their absence when they're gone.  There comes a day you no longer expect them to be there, hard to believe, we get used to the changes in our life, but NEVER NEVER do we stop missing & loving them!  

That you got your little girl such a short time seems so unfair.  I'm sure she is grateful that you loved her and took her in and cared to the utmost about her.  I truly believe we will be with them again, this time not to part.

I hope this short video brings you some comfort, I wish I could take all your pain and sorrow away.  :(

• Hugs 1

• Members

Oh no, my heart breaks reading this I am so so sorry. What a tragedy. I wish I could say something to ease the pain.

You guys are good people. It shouldn't have happened. (Being she grew up on the street she obviously had no fear of running out there. It didn't help that someone would come speeding down the street.) 

It doesn't seem like it but time will heal this. Again, really really sorry. :( 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1