Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Making lots of mistakes - Grieving?

DavidJB1878

• Members

Hi everyone

I lost my dad in May. I thought I was ok, seemed to be getting along fine, but a few months back, I started feeling exhausted all of the time - Like, feeling like I'd ran a marathon kind of exhausted. I went to the doctor who did a load of blood tests that all came back fine. She said it could be symptoms of grief. 

I also noticed in that time that I seem to have this kind of brain fog. Forgetting things, making mistakes - Especially in work. I work in IT, so mistakes are magnified. It's like, I'll check my work over and over, but seem to still miss errors. Has anyone else experienced this? could it be part of the grieving process?

Thankyou in advance, 

Dave

• Hugs 2

• Members

Hi David,

I am so sorry for your loss. What you have described is very common to someone experiencing grief. Someone was trying to tell me a code to get into a door. They must have said it several times and I just couldn't get it. Finally I asked them to write it down for me. I lost my hat and car keys and glasses. I know someone that ran their car into their garage door. It is emotionally and physically exhausting to mourn and grieve a loved one. It's easier said than done but be kind and gentle to yourself. I know the first two years were so hard.

Please take care.

• Hugs 1

• Members
On 9/13/2021 at 5:02 PM, DavidJB1878 said:

Hi everyone

I lost my dad in May. I thought I was ok, seemed to be getting along fine, but a few months back, I started feeling exhausted all of the time - Like, feeling like I'd ran a marathon kind of exhausted. I went to the doctor who did a load of blood tests that all came back fine. She said it could be symptoms of grief. 

I also noticed in that time that I seem to have this kind of brain fog. Forgetting things, making mistakes - Especially in work. I work in IT, so mistakes are magnified. It's like, I'll check my work over and over, but seem to still miss errors. Has anyone else experienced this? could it be part of the grieving process?

Thankyou in advance, 

Dave

Yes, I am experiencing it in magnified way. I lost my dad due to medical negligence in covid. I was covid patient too .. after this tragedy I make mistakes every now and then. I am totally lost without my father.. it's like I have lost mind and direction. I can understand what you are going through. We need to take it slow . One day at a time.

• Hugs 2

• Members

Hi Dave.

I lost my dad in May, too. He died in a house fire...his house fire. There was nothing to be salvaged. He was a chronic alcoholic and I know he had dementia, I was trying to get him help! I called APS and made a report one week before it happened. 

The mess is literal and figurative. I still have phantom smells of the “house” which was a pile of ashes that I dug through for 2 days. I could have spent a lifetime, finding old burned pictures of me when i was a baby, his good china. 

Yes, brain fog. Anger problems (which O don’t think I had before). It’s so awful. And i’m so sorry you are goi gf through it.

• Hugs 2

• Members

I know what you are going through, my Mom died in April and ever since then I am making dumb mistakes and losing items. This is really bad at work and I am so tired of not catching errors and I just feel tired all of the time.  I try to triple check all my work but I still have errors and I am worried about losing my job. It is so hard to keep track of everything lately. 

• Hugs 1

• Members

I can really relate to this as well!!  I have a lot of brain fog, having trouble remembering day to day things, trouble concentrating, and even difficulty learning new things. I am hoping this won’t go on for always because I am actually starting to feel like my intelligence is rapidly declining.