Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my long-term roommate/landlord recently.

Corey

• Members

He was 80 and died in his sleep about a week ago. I found him in his bed in the morning. I lived with him on and off for about 13 years. We had many ups and downs, mostly downs, to be honest. 

He was diagnosed with COPD a few years ago and ALS recently. His doctor recently gave him 3-6 months to live. He asked his doctor for physician-assisted suicide. I watched him go from a relatively healthy man to a helpless cripple over the last year. I took care of him the best I could while still paying him rent over the last 6 months or so. 

I have some guilt feelings (what could I have done differently to save him?) and some resentment (he should've left me his house). He had a reverse mortgage on the house, which means I need to find another place to live soon. I'm on disability and have no money saved or family/friends I can stay with, so this adds stress to the situation. This is very difficult for me.

• Members

Dear Corey,

I'm sorry for your loss. It's very hard to see someone suffer and to find them passed away in the home you shared for 13 years. It brings on a lot of raw feelings. I hope you'll consider talking to a social worker, grief counselor or reach out to a support group for help.

Our thoughts are with you.