Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

For anyone who has been a caregiver...

KayC

• Moderators

This was in my inbox this morning, it was perfect for what I need today.  I want to share it with anyone it speaks to...

(Peggy Haymes is a writer with grievers in mind)

528ff0f84bb29f0376601812c81cd4d8.png?r=9

Dear Kay,

Some days there is just too much too-muchness.

It may be a reflection of your own life and how things are going, whether it's the never-ending demands of caregiving or the unforgiving pressure of finances or the bad news about the people whom you love that just seems to keep coming.

It feels like too much.

Or it may just be the side effect of living in this world these days. As I've shared with some of you, the other week I had a doctor visit. After taking my vitals, the nurse did her obligatory screening. "In the last few weeks, have you felt down, helpless, hopeless, or depressed.?"

I thought for a moment. Covid surging again. Afghanistan. The west on fire and Ida pummeling the east.

"No more than is appropriate," I answered.

As Alexander learned on his no good, terrible, very bad day (a classic children's book), some days are like that.

Some times are like that.

Which means that taking care of ourselves, which is never optional, becomes even more essential. Self-care has become a bit of a buzzword, often translated into "get a massage and a pedicure."

Which may not be possible for some people.

Which may not be helpful for some people.

At its very heart, self-care is about stepping away and taking a breath. For some of you,m that may mean a handful of days away where you can unplug. For some of you, it may mean taking an afternoon -- or even an hour -- just for yourself. For some of you, it may mean saying no when you usually say yes.

In my blog this week, I've shared a video about why sometimes stepping away from the world is the best thing you can do for this world, and some simple ways to do just that.. You can find it at https://www.heartcallings.com/blog/breath

Peace,

Peggy