Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Will this pain ever go away?

Dawn Kuzik-Michal

• Members

Dawn, 

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your husband sounds like a wonderful man. 

I am glad you have the support of your grown children. With all that you had to do, making all the arrangements, moving, getting the young children settled and caring for them, you have hardly had any  time to grieve.  It is so difficult to make this transition, to being without your true love. That wasn't the plan.  It is so very unfair. 

I joined this forum about 2 years after my husband had died. I was so lost.  Posting and reading other posts on this forum helped me through some very difficult times.  I hope you are able to find some comfort here as well. 

We are all very sorry you have reason to join us on this grief journey that none of us want to be on, but welcome.

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators

I am so sorry!  When I read the heartburn part I thought oho-oh because my husband came home from work early "with heartburn" right before my sister's reunion, after I'd left he drove himself to the doctor who sent him by ambulance to the hospital, he wouldn't let them call me because he "didn't want to ruin my weekend!"  I heard from his friend and my sister wouldn't drive me the 4 1/2 hours to the hospital, I had to wait two days because SHE wanted to stay and gamble (I don't)!  That's the same sister I'm not caring for who has disability, blind, dementia.  It's very hard.  I got to see my husband very briefly at the hospital then they moved him to ICU, when they finally let me in he was asleep, woke up having a heart attack, I ran for the nurse' station, the doctors came running, a nurse threw me off the ward and locked the door.  I found a room to pray in, an hour later four doctors came down the hall and I knew.

That was 16 years ago Father's Day 2005.  I didn't see how I could live one week without him, he was my world!  Here I am 16 years later, I don't know how except I've learned to take one day at a time, any more than that is too much.  I don't want to know the future, today is enough.

My heart goes out to you, that early grief is the hardest.  It doesn't stay in the same intensity forever, thank God, we couldn't handle it if it did, our bodies are amazing in how we eventually get used to things and begin to adjust, I'd have never believed it possible.  That doesn't mean it's easy, we always love and miss them, we don't "move on" from this, our lives have changed the moment they died.  But we do learn to get through this, I can't say how, the timetable is unique to each of us, just as our relationships were, so is our journeys.

I hope you'll continue coming here and expressing yourself, reading/posting, it helps us process our grief.

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of it's own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Dawn Kuzik-Michal said:

I still have not been able to return to church because I can’t understand why God would take him from us and that is a very hard pill to swallow.

I understand, it was hard for me to go back too because we always went together, me up on the platform leading worship in song, him my biggest fan and admirer smiling from the nearly back pew because of his social anxiety.  We were perfect together and so lucky to have found each other, we clicked instantly and always understood each other.  Although like any relationship it wasn't perfect, it was perfect for us.  Feeling God is a million miles away is common in early grief, we can't understand why we lost them, I figure if He could explain it to me I still wouldn't get it or agree so no sense in trying to explain it to me!  It took me about a year and then I realized God had carried me through this, literally, I hadn't seen/felt Him because the grief was too thick.  :wub:  Try not to worry about these feelings, He's there, even if you don't feel or understand it. 

Sending you much love and hugs!

• Like 2

• Moderators

I hope someone remembers you today, we all need support, if not, remember WE love you and are here for you!

• Like 4

• Members

April, 

It's such a hard day.  Too many bad memories. Too many shattered dreams and plans. Wish I could give you a hug. 

Thinking of you.

Gail

• Like 4

• Members

I am glad people did reach out to you. The Facebook post was a good thing.  It's okay to let people know you are in pain, missing him so much. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I love this picture of you and your husband, so happy, it's as we were.  And I'm glad you let them know how you were feeling, people are truly wanting to do something I think but don't want to do the wrong thing and unsure of how to respond.  I agree with Gail, it's okay to let them know how you feel.  

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

I love this picture of you and your husband, so happy, it's as we were.  And I'm glad you let them know how you were feeling, people are truly wanting to do something I think but don't want to do the wrong thing and unsure of how to respond.  I agree with Gail, it's okay to let them know how you feel.  

Agreed.  I've noticed that in addition to the love that simply radiates out, there's a contentment and a general ease of being together in the pictures members post here.  It speaks to connections and bonds that are far deeper than can be expressed in words.  That's part of why we grieve so deeply, IMO.  Yet, John was worth everything to me and I'd jump in with my whole heart all over again.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, annie123 said:

one year ago today,  is the day that my husband went into the hospital and he never came back home.

I'm so sorry, Annie.  These memories haunt us.  I'll never forget any part of that last weekend.

To hear what you guys have been through breaks my heart.  I'm glad George wasn't on life support, that must be the most painful decision ever but there's no doubt you made the only decision you could, no one wants to live indefinitely that way, unable to communicate or breathe on your own...basically it's the body going through the motions but not totally alive either.  I'm sorry you had your hearts ripped out.  :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Annie, Gail, And April; I'm with you as well. My husband went into the hospital on Sep 6, 2020 and passed away Oct 6, 2020. He went in with a clot in his right femoral artery but before they could address it, he had to have his aortic valve replaced and 3 coronary stints placed. He coded in the OR but they were able to resuscitate him. After that he also had one complication after another. They finally did surgery on his right leg on Oct 5, but he went downhill after that and was intubated that night. In the morning the doctor told me it would be futile to do CPR if his heart stopped so I agreed not to have them do so. His heart stopped about 1:00 that afternoon and I still feel guilty that I agreed to no CPR. At least I was able to be with him every day at the hospital and was with him when he passed away. But it still hurts like crazy ...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
19 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I know it doesn't help to hear that others have felt as you do now.  But I am beginning to think this is part of grief brain that so many of us experience.  Our brains struggling to figure out why? who is to blame? and it defaults that it must be us.  If only we had done this or that differently. 

For years after my husband's death, I was consumed with guilt, that I had made all the wrong decisions, it was my fault he was gone. 

Same here.  Every day I would ask myself, "Why did/didn't I/we/the doctors...?" and "I should/shouldn't have..." and on and on.  I'm the one here, so I told myself that I must be the one to blame for John dying.  I had to be my fault, didn't it?  The fact is that I am only a flawed human who loved and loves her husband with every fiber of my being.  And that will have to be enough.

It's taken me a long time to get through some of my guilt and sort out what I could or should have done better from things over which I had no control or that I didn't know.  I'm still working on it and may be for a very long time.  I've always been really good at taking on guilt for every little thing, so it's really hard for me to forgive myself, even though I long ago forgave John for any faults and foibles of his own. 

@annie123  Believe me, you are not alone in questioning yourself.  I think it's all part of grieving such a life and heart shattering loss.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I was gone on my sister's reunion when my husband went into the hospital, he wouldn't let them know.  When our friend called and let me know, my sister wouldn't drive me there, I was 4 1/2 hours away from home with no car (same sister who has dementia now that I've been taking care of the last year).  She wouldn't drive me there for TWO DAYS!  It was torture.  She wanted to "stay and gamble."  (I don't gamble)  I missed that last weekend with him due to her.  I understand she has a gambling addiction but that's to the umpth degree.  The hospital decided to move him after I got there, when they allowed me in finally he was asleep...he woke up having a heart attack!  I ran for help, they came and threw me off the ward and locked the door behind me.  I never saw him alive again.  He meant everything to me.

No part of any of this is easy.  :(

• Hugs 4

• Members

@KayC that's messed up.  The hospital thinks they know what's best but in the long run they dont.  It's like the way they did me with Darrell, not letting me see him until the last few days, but just through a glass door.  I just wonder if it would have been different if the would have let me in to at least touch him, even with gloves, I dont know.  I know it doesn't matter.   It's one of the many other questions or decisions that make you wonder.  It's all so messed up for us all.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

My heart goes out to everyone losing someone in Covid times...it was hard enough back when I went through it.  I''ll never claim to understand hospitals, I try to avoid them as much as possible!

• Like 1