Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost our best pal

Rsmith11

• Members

This morning we lost our best friend Molly. It was completely out of the blue and I haven’t stopped crying. My mum brought Molly home after she was born in the car park at work and sadly Molly’s mum had passed away. 

14 years later and Molly had become the most lovely cat I have ever met. It took a long time to gain her trust but once she knew you she had so much love to give.

My mum is completely heart broken and neither of us can bear to me in the house. We have reminders everywhere and it just feels impossible. We’ve had other cats pass away but this feels different and I can’t imagine life without her. 

All we’ve done is cry all day and I just don’t know what to do. The worst part is my parents marriage isn’t great, so knowing Molly was there to keep my mum company gave me peace of mind. I don’t know how we can all live without her.

People at work don’t seem to understand and a few of my friends think I’m being silly crying so much. This feels worse than when a person had died and I just feel like I’ll never be happy again :(

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. 

I can’t sleep, eat or stop crying and have never felt anything like it. It feels like the light in life has gone out and I can’t see it ever being the same. Is it normal to feel like this? 

my heart feels completely broken and the thought of never seeing Molly again is impossible to comprehend. :( 

thanks for taking the time to read x

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Rsmith11 said:

This morning we lost our best friend Molly.

I am so sorry!  I know the loss to be one of the greatest losses we can suffer, at least it was for me.  My dog Arlie had cancer, but even providing hospice care for him for over two months did not begin to prepare me for the shock/loss of him.  There is no preparing.  He was my absolute LIFE!  Like your mom, I'm alone, since my husband died 16 years ago.  Soon after losing Arlie I lost my 25 year old Kitty.

I'm fortunate my son brought me a puppy, he's literally saved my life!  He is nothing like Arlie, all of those special qualities that made him HIM are gone, but little Kodie has wriggled his way into my heart on his own qualities.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

I hope this brings you thoughts of comfort and peace...

• Members
3 hours ago, Valerie Lockhart said:

Dear Rssmith11,

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat. Our pets are truly members of our family. When I had to put my cat, Tiger, to sleep due to her having cancer, a single tear poured down her eye. It was as if she knew what was happening. My mom and I both cried. The Veterinarian gave us an imprint of her paw on a card to cherish. God created animals for the sake of humans. Animals can help us do our work and can serve as their our companions or pets. They also serve to magnify God’s love and wisdom. God’s original purpose was for humans to enjoy an earthly paradise forever and to care for the animals. We can be absolutely sure that in time that purpose will be realized. Just think of the marvelous prospect of enjoying animal pets forever in a righteous new world! The loving care given them will truly honor the Grand Creator of all living things. Please click on the following link to see a video on how we can learn courage from creation: Online Video Library | JW.ORG Videos English

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m so sorry to hear about your cat Tiger. It is truly heart breaking when we lose a member of our family, the ones who were always there for us. Does it get easier? I can’t seem to stop crying and can’t imagine life without her 

• Like 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

I am so sorry!  I know the loss to be one of the greatest losses we can suffer, at least it was for me.  My dog Arlie had cancer, but even providing hospice care for him for over two months did not begin to prepare me for the shock/loss of him.  There is no preparing.  He was my absolute LIFE!  Like your mom, I'm alone, since my husband died 16 years ago.  Soon after losing Arlie I lost my 25 year old Kitty.

I'm fortunate my son brought me a puppy, he's literally saved my life!  He is nothing like Arlie, all of those special qualities that made him HIM are gone, but little Kodie has wriggled his way into my heart on his own qualities.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

I hope this brings you thoughts of comfort and peace...

I’m so sorry to hear about your dog Arlie. It truly is one of the hardest things to go through. I’ve lost a few people and other pets in my life time and never felt grief like this. I cannot seem to get past the idea I will never see her again… never feel her fur or see her little face at the door. Does it get easier? I had today off work but I’m going to have to go back tomorrow. I can’t go a few minutes without crying and feel a huge hole in my heart right now.

I’m so happy for you they Kodie has come into your life and now has a place in your heart. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Don't let anything/anyone tell you we won't be together again, believe.  Hold onto that with all of your being.  Heaven would not be heaven without my Arlie and your Molly.  
Pets go to heaven

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Molly.

I lost my cat 4 years ago. He was about 15 though we'd gotten him when he was about 5. I was just like you, I don't think I've ever cried so many tears in my life. We lost our sweet boy very horribly and very suddenly. My husband and I were devastated. Anyway, it is totally normal - how you are feeling.

Be patient. It takes time to grieve - this is a big loss in your lives. Once they are gone you realize how much time you spent together and how they impact so much of our day and routine. Nothing can truly prepare you.

I promise it won't always be this way, you will find peace, it just takes time. I wrote in this forum so much after we lost him because if I didn't get my thoughts and feelings out, I thought I would go insane with grief! So, I try to be here the way others were for me. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

• Members
On 8/27/2021 at 1:52 AM, AJWCat said:

I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Molly.

I lost my cat 4 years ago. He was about 15 though we'd gotten him when he was about 5. I was just like you, I don't think I've ever cried so many tears in my life. We lost our sweet boy very horribly and very suddenly. My husband and I were devastated. Anyway, it is totally normal - how you are feeling.

Be patient. It takes time to grieve - this is a big loss in your lives. Once they are gone you realize how much time you spent together and how they impact so much of our day and routine. Nothing can truly prepare you.

I promise it won't always be this way, you will find peace, it just takes time. I wrote in this forum so much after we lost him because if I didn't get my thoughts and feelings out, I thought I would go insane with grief! So, I try to be here the way others were for me. Hang in there. 

Thank you so much, and I’m also sorry for the loss of your cat. As much as I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, it is reassuring to know that it does get easier. 

Also sorry for the delayed response - I decided to take a break to try to process what had happened. 

Everything you’ve said is so true. I think you do realise the little things that were part of your everyday routine. What I can’t seem to process is that I’ll never experience those special moments again. In a way I think my brain is blocking that out, and I still believe I will see her again. Maybe this is denial or that I can’t seem to face the reality.

That is so kind of you. I don’t know how I would have got through last week without the kind words of people on here. It’s strange as my friends don’t fully understand why I feel like this and I guess it’s because they’ve never shared a special bond with a pet. I suppose I should think myself lucky really. :)

• Like 2

• Moderators

They can't get what they haven't been through and those of us here are the ones that had super strong bonds with our "pets" (I hate to call them that because that implies ownership, to me they're FAMILY of the closest bonds!).  Not everyone who has a dog or cat feels about them as we do. ;)