Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Inside jokes

widower2

• Members

Oh yeah...we had those too. Sometimes could hardly contain ourselves, especially while at the office where we needed to be professional. We knew how the other thinks. One little word could crack us up. Sometimes all it took was a look. And my husband would say "D'oh!"  I miss his laugh.  

• Like 4

• Members

Oh yes, all the little "couple" things.  The inside jokes, the mere look that could make me laugh, the grins of knowing that we alone "got it."  He could always make me laugh--even when I didn't want to!  I'd be irritated or annoyed; he'd say something so funny and apropos that I'd laugh; I'd say, "You just ruined a perfectly good snit!"; he'd reply with a grin, "I know."  Then we'd both laugh and move on to talking through whatever the issue was.  He grew up in a house with parents who fought, as did I.  Not physical, but yelling.  We both hated it and tried not refrain from it, almost always successfully, though I have a bit of a temper and tended to raise my voice more than he did.

And he had such a silly side.  He punned, right along with our best male friend and then our friend's son as he got older.  He did a flawless imitation of Robin William's "celebration of the dance" from The Birdcage, but he only ever did it for me.  Imagine this tall, broad shouldered, "manly" looking man doing Robin Williams.  Hysterical.  Shortly before he was diagnosed we had come up with a ridiculous signal to each other based on a misinterpretation of "LOL" repeated in a number of shows by the same writer.  (Lots of love vs laugh out loud.)

I miss those things so much, but sometimes I will still say something or signal something to him anyway because they are so precious and such a loving reminder of who we were together.

• Like 4

• Members
10 hours ago, KayC said:

I loved how we shared so much with just a look.

Well said KayC:)

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, KayC said:

I loved how we shared so much with just a look.

Her dog had a look he did in a way I've never seen another dog do...kind of a disgusted "are you sh###in me" look she called "the whites of the eyes" that we always cracked up talking about. Occasionally we'd try to give that look to each other but admitted neither of us came close, it was just his thing, lol. 

• Haha 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

So many of our silly moments together revolved around our dogs.  

One Thanksgiving Day our springer spaniel, who was an incorrigible escape artist, came home from a walk-about with a half-cooked turkey in his mouth.  Looked like it had been on someone's Mr Meat Smoker, if you remember those outdoor cookers. 

We didn't know what to do, we didn't know whose turkey it was, we couldn't give it back, we didn't have a replacement. We ended up tossing it in the trash, packing up the kids and felon dog and headed to Grandma's house for our family gathering.  For decades, whenever our pet did something naughty, we would look at each other and say "not as bad as the turkey!"

I still feel bad for that family with no turkey. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Funny, I was just talking about this to my sister-in-law!  My husband and I have both always been goofballs and jokesters so we had a lot of fun together.  I am constantly thinking of our inside jokes and mourning the loss of the one person who gets it.  That feeling is intensely sad to me.  I lost him, I lost fun and laughter and joy.  Sometimes I find myself just talking to him as if he were here and saying, "You'd think that was pretty funny, wouldn't you, Gordy?"  We also have two little dogs we adored together.  They, too, do goofy things and we got a kick out of it.  It is amazing how many little moments throughout the day we connected, whether it be in person or in thought. I miss that so much and feel like half of me is gone.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 hours ago, widower2 said:

Her dog had a look he did in a way I've never seen another dog do...kind of a disgusted "are you sh###in me" look

widower2:  No way! Our Blue Heeler would sometimes give us the Sideways Look (whites of the eyes). I swear he was part human in a dog's body. We'd often try to do the look but wasn't as good as when he did it. At least he was never too embarrassed to go out and be seen with us. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, tnd said:

widower2:  No way! Our Blue Heeler would sometimes give us the Sideways Look (whites of the eyes). I swear he was part human in a dog's body. We'd often try to do the look but wasn't as good as when he did it. At least he was never too embarrassed to go out and be seen with us. 

Ours either...but he made it clear nobody was allowed to pet him :) If anyone went "oh what a cute dog" and made a move he growled. They always backed off and we'd go "good move" lol 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:57 PM, Gail 8588 said:

So many of our silly moments together revolved around our dogs.  

One Thanksgiving Day our springer spaniel, who was an incorrigible escape artist, came home from a walk-about with a half cooked turkey in his mouth.  Looked like it had been on someone's Mr Meat Smoker, if you remember those outdoor cookers. 

We didn't know what to do, we didn't know whose turkey it was, we couldn't give it back, we didn't have a replacement. We ended up tossing it in the trash, packing up the kids and felon dog and headed to Grandma's house for our family gathering.  For decades, whenever our pet did something naughty, we would look at each other and say "not as bad as the turkey!"

I still feel bad for that family with no turkey. 

Gail

lmao - love it. Her second dog after the master stare-down guy was also an escape artist. I've said more than once I could write a book. He ate many odd things, but never heisted a whole turkey! :lol:

• Like 4