Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Has anyone had enough of working from home?

KeyLimePie1

• Members

I would be interested to know what everyone's views are on working from home.

I work for a local council and I've been working from home pretty much full-time for the last 18 months (since March 2020). Unfortunately two months ago, my mum passed away shortly and quite unexpectedly. We both lived in the same house together.

I didn't mind working from home at the beginning, but for me, the novelty of it wore off very quickly. After a couple of months, I began to feel quite isolated and cut off from people. I get fed up of the online meetings, it feels completely anti-social. I've also lost enthusiasm for the job I do, it's just not the same. I live in a small property, and I have to work in my bedroom as there is nowhere else in this house that I can work. Now my mum is not here, I dislike it even more for obvious reasons. :mellow2:

I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I know a lot of people have lost their jobs in recent times and I do feel very sorry for those people. If you're one of those reading this, you have my sympathy and I hope you find new work asap. I know there's always somebody worse off in that regard. For that reason, I've kept my feelings and thoughts pretty quiet in case I don't upset anyone who has been in that position. I can imagine they wouldn't want to hear people complaining about working from home when they don't have a job. But I guess we are all only human.

I've raised my feelings on countless occasions with my bosses. I've filled in staff surveys and highlighted my feelings in those, but it's been a waste of time. It seems most of our team want to carry on working at home, so again I feel like the odd one out. My boss actually wants to get people back into the office, but the decisions have been made well above his head, so he can't enforce it.

I live in the UK and restrictions have since eased, but my employer is still pretty much demanding we work from home and we only visit the office once or twice a week. It seems long term, their plan is to move towards 'hybrid working'. They've invested a lot of money in remote technology, upgraded laptops and smartphones to be able to work from home. I think they plan to make working from home permanent.

With all of this in mind, it might be time for me to find a new job perhaps. One where I can get outside more or go back to the office more permanently, that would be ideal. I am finding it very tough with my circumstances in the midst of grief (Which I'll try to leave off this bit of the forum as its general chat).

I just wondered what everyone else's experiences and thoughts on this are? 

• Like 2

• Members

I worked from home for about 2 months last year when covid was ramping up.  I like being at work “US air base” since I work with coworkers who are my friends and we can joke, etc.  It’s a phenomenal work environment and my work is very interesting. I’m very fortunate.  

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Gribble,

I hear where you're coming from and you make many valid points. We all have very different needs and wants. I think you need to do what is right for you. I do think working from home doesn't work for everyone.

For myself being an introvert and generally a quieter person, I don't mind it. I was also dealing with some difficult colleagues so I feel grateful now that I don't have to see them.

See how it goes for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

• Moderators

gribble, I agree it can be lonely due to living alone. That's the one part about it I don't like. The ability to go in once in a blue moon would be nice, just to be around people. But I love everything else about it and have zero desire to do otherwise. Being able to just roll out of bed and log in vs having to get up, shower, dress, fight traffic and all the idiots who don't know how to drive then do it again at the end of the day, having to pack or buy lunch...all the distractions of cell phones going off and people talking too loud because they are clueless how sound travels (or just don't care)...do I miss that? Not in the slightest! 

8 hours ago, steveb said:

I worked from home for about 2 months last year when covid was ramping up.  I like being at work “US air base” since I work with coworkers who are my friends and we can joke, etc.  It’s a phenomenal work environment and my work is very interesting. I’m very fortunate.  

You a defense contractor?

• Like 2

• Members

I am a defense contractor. Retired Air Force also.  Work wise, I can’t really do much at home.  

• Moderators
18 hours ago, steveb said:

I am a defense contractor. Retired Air Force also.  

Same here, both counts. :)  Well, almost. I haven't been a defense contractor for some time now, but did it for a long time. If you'd like to swap career stories some time, feel free to PM or whatever.

• Like 1

• Members

Another year to work from home??  Now that I think about it, I wouldn’t mind doing like a 1 week at home and 1 at work deal or something similar. 

• Like 1

• Members

lol - yes, it seems like everyone in my department loves working from home. We all signed up for remote work for another year. There is also a hybrid model that is also very popular.

I did go into the office because they had to update the firewall. It was very odd. Hardly anyone around and it felt like walking through a museum. 

It will be interesting to see how 2022 unfolds.

Happy Thanksgiving! Very grateful for all of you! And having a place to share.

• Moderators

Same to all!

We had planned to go back 3 Jan but with the "variants" popping up, it's bumped to April. Suits me! 

• Like 2

• Members

Personally, I love working from home.  I really don't like leaving the house, and would never do so unless I had to.  I don't really need people, my wife is the same.  We are perfectly happy staying at home.  :)  We do try to go see my Mother more often now, but visiting her and getting groceries are the only things we leave the house for.

• Members

Twitter announced all their employees have the choice to work from home forever. I wish that was my company.:-)

Right now we'll be home till October but we'll see what happens.

• Moderators

They have started opening our offices back up, but so far going in is optional and - knock on wood - sounds like it will mostly be that way for the foreseeable future. I think, I hope, they are finally realizing that almost everyone is very strongly in favor of working from home and that there really isn't much of a benefit to being there in person as they have always claimed. We've proven that over the last 2 years. Plus our building is a good 45 mins away so I really don't miss the long drive or money spent on gas!

• Members

my company closed part of the offices, moved about 1/4 of the desks and computers into the main section, etc - saved 13k per month on rent.  :)