Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost My Best Friend

OldTrojan

• Members

On our side of the dateline we see out the old year first.  Good riddance to 2021.  5.5 million dead from coronavirus, over 800k in the US.  Terrible financial losses resulting, huge inflation.

My Bear died, which still devastates me.  Twice in the last few days people asked me about him, and I lost it both times.  I’m still not doing well about it.  Painful physical problems worsened as I got a year older.

Kay suffering terrible weather.

Here’s to wishing everyone the best for 2022, and weather relief for Kay.

Happy New Year.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• John9

• OldTrojan

• Gary55

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

OldTrojan,

I too wish everyone the best for 2022, And I hope that if anyone celebrates the New Year it is safe. All of the losses of 2020 and 2021 will always be a part of whatever life I have left and I feel I will never be able to process all of it. It is just too much for me.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I hope and pray this next year will be better than the last few, it's been horrible.  About to sit down last night and you guessed it, the power went out, this time from Bonneville Power, the whole town out. Lane Electric's stupid voice crap woke me up three times!  I had to get up and take the phone off the hook and then listen to the beeping.  It snowed last night, I've been shoveling all day, my hands and back are done, but it doesn't stop.  My generator won't start.

But the worst:  

My sweet Joe died yesterday.  No One told me they were having him euthanized so I didn't get to say goodbye.  My heart is broken.  I've been crying today...I hope and pray he understands that I love him and the only reason I couldn't walk him anymore is because I don't have the strength after he bit me and yanked on me.  I wanted to, my heart broke every time I saw his sad eyes looking at me when I went by.  I would have adopted him if not for the biting, but he attacked Kodie when he was a baby 4 1/2 lb pup, and his brother attacked Kodie viciously a few months ago.  I hope he knows I love him and I hope he understands now and is at peace.1276094687_Joe123021.jpg.6602241ccbbc4256a564167f22b17c72.jpg

• Sad 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

My sweet Joe died yesterday.  No One told me they were having him euthanized so I didn't get to say goodbye.  My heart is broken.  I've been crying today...I hope and pray he understands that I love him and the only reason I couldn't walk him anymore is because I don't have the strength after he bit me and yanked on me.  I wanted to, my heart broke every time I saw his sad eyes looking at me when I went by.  I would have adopted him if not for the biting, but he attacked Kodie when he was a baby 4 1/2 lb pup, and his brother attacked Kodie viciously a few months ago.  I hope he knows I love him and I hope he understands now and is at peace.

KayC,

I am so sorry, I understand the pain because I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to our Catahoula, my loving wife was there but I was not allowed and when I last saw him I didn't know they were going to euthanize him. I hate that this has to happen, and I hate it is on top of all of the other pains and issues we have to deal with. I can't say that Joe knew why you couldn't walk him or adopt him but I am sure he was aware you loved him. I will always have my regrets. But I am truly sorry that Joe is gone and you couldn't say goodbye.

• Like 1

• Members

Oh, Kay, that is such a sad story about Joe.  Since you were his friend and walked him, those people should have had some consideration for you.  Dogs know who loves them – you can see it in their eyes.  Joe certainly knew you loved him.

It’s been a tough few days for me.  Two dog owners who liked Bear asked me about him last week, and I broke down, even after all of this time.  Today is Jan 1 here, and after my “Bear walk” early I talked to him at his grave and told him how much I miss him and love him.  Very emotional day; many tears.  I also talked to him about so many of his friends, some whom were also my personal favorites, who died last year.  I miss several of them, and grieve for them,  too.

2022 must be better.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

those people should have had some consideration for you. 

I felt so too.  I don't know that Joe meant to them what he meant to me.  When I walked him, it was OUR time, just me and him alone, they didn't have that.  Every day I passed by and he'd stare out the gate at me, so sad, longingly...and it broke my heart.  I know this, when we reach heaven we have a complete knowledge/understanding about everything so I hope now he understands and truly knows I do love him and miss him, so much.  I bawled yesterday, in between shoveling snow, 44" as of yesterday and who's counting!  County didn't show up to plow so 4" mess on top of snowpack.  No hope of going anywhere in my FWD car even if I could get up my driveway.  It got way too cold last night so now what I'm left with is frozen hard, and more came after dark...

Internet was out yesterday morning, last night, and this morning.  Sigh...

OldTrojan, I know your bearwalks are all the harder when people ask about him.  It seems there's just no easy way through this.  I'm glad you got to talk to him at his grave.  I don't even know where Joe's body is and no access to it if I did.  I went and saw Fluffy's grave the other day (my family dog from the 90s) and all of the words burned onto the cross marker are now gone, I was sad to see that, I remember what they said.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Hi Kay – Is your weather OK after the big storms?  I haven’t read about bad west coast weather in a while.

There is something about the new year that has had me regressing and being too emotional again about Bear, and am overwhelmed again occasionally.  I had been doing better until this week.  I’m disappointed in myself. 

It’s been six days now since I have seen the sad, nice old momma dog who has been hanging out daily with Marcus and Emi.  I’ll miss her, if she’s passed away.  She was an old dog, but at least she got some love and back scratches from me for a couple of months late in life.  I felt better seeing her wag her tail happily, which was otherwise rare.  Every dog should have people that love them.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

This was Jan. 5: 

I woke up to a shock, all of the packed snow on my double garage/shop/storage building slid off and buried my vehicles AND my pathway (100 ft) to the firewood stall!  I worked super hard four hours clearing a path to the firewood again, but was afraid I'd get frostbite if I stayed out any longer, this was 4 ft. high PACKED SNOW!  Very wet and heavy!  Put out an SOS for help, one person came and uncovered the car, still needing the pickup unearthed and the entrance to my storage room.  Got soaking wet, cold, coat, gloves still drying.
Got an SOS from Iris, she's alone today, day after chemo, wanted someone to come deal with Jazzy so as soon as I got dry I took Kodie down there, they played almost an hour.  What a day!  I Needed the branch cut that's in front of the satellite dishes, but couldn't reach Jack, so Kodie and I walked to his place and left a note, his phone has been out a couple of weeks, I can't believe the phone company stood him up!  His livelihood depends on it!
This was yesterday: two guys from the Nazarene Church, neighbor Jack, of course, two Mormons, and my Pastor, the help came, that after I shoveled all morning, some came at the end of the day.  Jack cut the branches down so I got most of them picked up and stacked over the fence, will deal with the rest come Spring, we'll get them on the burn pile later.  At least Kodie has his yard back. Then total surprise!  A friend of my daughter's sent HIS friend up here to help and he unearthed the gate so you can (barely) open it and also a path from it to the porch...I still need to shovel between the gate and driveway but at least if the house was on fire I could escape if the back door was blocked!  I was humbled and overwhelmed by the outpouring of support  I sent the pastor back home as he and the elder had already shoveled my roof off 12 days ago with Jack helping.
See why I love my community?  It's just how they are
Supposed to get more snow and high winds through tomorrow, hoping not much, my yard looks like devastation from all the trees/branches down.  I spent a long time picking a lot of it up and getting it over the fence so Kodie won't get hurt on a staub.
I agree with you wholeheartedly, about every dog needing someone to love them, I still can't believe Joe is gone, eight days now.
  • Hugs 1

• Members
21 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

There is something about the new year that has had me regressing and being too emotional again about Bear, and am overwhelmed again occasionally.  I had been doing better until this week.  I’m disappointed in myself. 

OldTrojan,

I am not an expert on anything, but I know grief is not a straight line and it comes in waves. Fine today and not tomorrow and no way of knowing when it will change. I am a total wreck most of the time.

• Like 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

KayC,

I am glad you got some help, small towns can really pull together. I am glad you and Kodie have an area again. And the ability to exit your house if needed.

• Like 1

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

It's amazing to have a community like that. I'm so glad you have them around you. 

I didn't truly realize we did until right after John died.  We'd all been getting to know each other more because a few years before two neighbors, friends with everyone, had hosted a block party for the holidays.  After that, we had more gatherings and we started to come together as a neighborhood.  When John was in the hospital and rehab, people stepped up in their own way by making food/meals for us so that I wouldn't have to cook or deal with one more thing.  Then after John died, I think some truly understood how fragile and precious life is and that they should treasure it and be there for each other.

I have to have the house and garage fumigated (blankety-blank termites and now ants too--even those of us who rarely have ants have been invaded).  The men will be moving the big pots and stuff away from the house and scooping the pea gravel back where it needs to be shifted temporarily.  The women will be helping bag stuff into the fume-proof double bags--and I have a lot of stuff that has to be protected.  I barely even had to ask, mostly friends volunteered.  It's one reason that I will spend money reparing and maintaining this small, old house:  I am not moving away from my amazing community.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I discovered a lot of damage has been done to my driveway with people spinning out/getting stuck in it and shoveling too hard/stabbing at it with metal, it's completely torn up the asphalt. Whole place covered in limbs, won't be dealt with anytime soon.  Kodie was a pill yesterday, let him out into the yard and he dug huge holes, one at the dish network pole and the other a root to a large tree, went out in my robe and suede slippers to shovel the dirt back into them and came in the house (he refused to come) and discovered AFTER I'd traipsed across the house I'd stepped in a huge pile of dog poop somewhere and tracked it all over three rugs and my kitchen floor!  Can't get on my knees anymore so had to bend down to the floor and spray and scrub everywhere, wash one of the rugs, others too big, run hot water over the slippers, spray/scrub them too and set by the fire to dry.  Took me 1 1/2 hours to clean up!  When I finally got a hold of Kodie I put him in time out in his kennel, he hasn't been in there for seven months.  He was very quiet.  It's very seldom he gets in trouble but he was "in the doghouse" yesterday for sure!  Didn't have my first meal until 2:30, too much to attend to!

Annie, so sorry you're dealing with fumigation, etc...I hope the thought isn't contagious!  I have enough going on!  

On 1/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, OldTrojan said:

There is something about the new year that has had me regressing and being too emotional again about Bear, and am overwhelmed again occasionally.  I had been doing better until this week.

How're you doing now?  Don't be disappointed in yourself, this is grief, it has a mind of its own.  :wub:

• Hugs 1

• Members
12 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I am not moving away from my amazing community.

foreverhis,

I am glad you have people who are able and willing to help you. Where we live is a small community but we don't have that connection. I still wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this time though. I hope the situation you are going through resolves itself with a minimal of cost and aggravation.

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Can't get on my knees anymore so had to bend down to the floor

KayC,

This was one of the issues my loving wife had. I was always the one cleaning up those kinds of messes and there were many. I did any of the cleaning that required the actual manual labor and the hands and knees part and I was fine with it and she was thankful I could. Kodie was probably just so happy to be allowed out in his area, he was having fun being a dog. I am sorry for all of the issues you are having and glad you did receive some help, not helpful that damage was done but that seems to happen when people aren't fully aware of the surroundings. I have accidentally caused damage while trying to help others too.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Kay – you are indeed fortunate to have such caring and generous neighbors, as do you , Foreverhis.  Small town America at its finest.  I’m sorry to hear of your continued weather problems.

Thanks for your comment about my grief.  I probably was a catalyst for this myself.  At the end of the year I reflected on what a terrible year it had been, and was very upset by it..  My physical problems got much worse, I learned that nine of my friends at home passed away, two from covid.  I was devastated by the passing of Bear, and deeply saddened by the loss of so many nice dogs that Bear (and I) played with during the year.  I want to continue my “Bear walk” in the mornings and talking to him.  I hope that isn’t part of my continued grief, although I was doing much better until New Year’s and my reflection on the terrible year.

Kodie, like people, can have the occasional bad day, but will be back to normal.  The terrible weather my affect him, too.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I need advice...all my adult life I've had a cat or two at least.  This is the longest I've been without one...two years since Kitty passed Jan. 6 2020.  Someone on FB wants to rehome their four year old cat to me, even offering cat box, litter, food, and a meet & greet.  Why am I not feeling it?  Their cat got along with their big dog but not their teacup.  Kodie isn't as small as a teacup but a cat could hurt him.  Miss Mocha (died June 3, 2016 LOVED dogs!  Not sure of anything.  Could be a concern for nothing, but then again...

Also am reluctant to change our situation as it's good right now.  We have our snuggle time.  Kodie likes the recliner by the window, cuddling with me on the loveseat, but also loves being on HIS loveseat...I hate taking any of that away.  Kitty used to love her spot by me on the loveseat.  Cats pick their own spot, this could be a problem.  Will it be needy?  I pour so much time into Kodie, do I have room for another?  Would splitting my time between them hurt our relationship?  I'm unwilling for that.  I've always had cats come to ME, not the other way around, I don't recall ever seeking out one before.  And what if it's not happy?  I just feel unease about this.

Comments?

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

I would like to be able to give advise, but you have brought up very valid points. My loving wife and I never brought any adult cats or dogs into our home. Every new addition was young and they all learned to accept the "natural" order. Cats being as they are can be very set in their ways as you do know, dogs too in their own way. I believe I mentioned that my loving wife and I had a Cornish Rex that my loving wife had brought home and she basically lived in our bedroom for years and we never saw her until she decided to venture out one day and decided we were okay. I don't know if you have any area that could be a cat zone until everyone knows everyone. Our Chihuahuas learned to stand up to all of the cats because the cats were all bigger then them but as I said they all started young. I would hate for you to regret the decision either way, because it wouldn't be fair if you couldn't keep the cat because then it needs re-homing again and if you decide not to take it I wouldn't want you to be sad that you didn't. I know this is a long comment to say what you probably already have thought of. Search your heart and I think you will honestly find your answer. I would post a picture that our son took many years ago of me, All of our animals were sitting with me in my chair. Our 2 Chihuahuas our Catahoula and all 3 of the cats we had at the time. I don't know if this will help you but I tried.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi Kay – I’m certainly not a cat expert, but John’s comments seem appropriate.  It is very kind to want to adopt a cat in need, but a four year old cat is probably set in its ways, and might not integrate well to a new home that already has pets (even other cats). I’d give priority to little Kodie, and play it safe.  Perhaps get a kitten, and it will grow up thinking that Kodie is a brother.  Miss Kitty is getting very big – I wish I could send you one of her kittens when she has them.  Does Kodie have any experience with cats?

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Kodie was only around Kitty when he was 2-3 months old, she was 25 and called the shots!  I've usually gotten cats already set in their ways, Miss Mocha I guessed to be age 2-4 when I got her (already fixed) but she loved dogs and was so sweet!  Kitty was 12 when I acquired her and she was afraid of my (large) dog and it took her 1 2/3 years to give him a chance and then they worked everything out great.  Until then she chose to be outdoors.  King George was six when I got him, no prior experience with dogs but did great with the ones we had over the years.  

What concerns me is this one's not accepting their little dog.  

Also, I've never hesitated in acquiring a cat before, am not sure what's stopped me the last two years but definitely feel that hesitation, guess I need to listen to my gut.  If one shows up at my door someday, I can always try it out...

• Hugs 1

• Members

Hi Kay.  Honestly, I think the fact that you are hesitating is reason enough to not do it.  You've listed a number of concerns, all valid.  And right now it seems as if you have enough to deal with without trying to integrate a cat into your home, especially with the concern about Kodie being a small dog and vulnerable if the cat doesn't accept him.

I can only speak for myself, but as much as I love animals and would want to give a cat a home, I'd have to say no this time.  I might call around to friends to see if anyone else is in a position to give him a home, but that's about all I could do.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It's the owner's issue, oddly enough I haven't heard from her in two days about the meet and greet, maybe she's sensing my hesitancy! ;)

• Hugs 1

• Members

Kay and John, I have a cat question, since I have no real cat experience.  I have experimented with different amounts of cat food for Miss Kitty.  I have no idea of what she weighs, so the charts on the bags don’t help.  I want her to have enough food, but not too much.  It seems that no matter how much, or little, that I give her, she always leaves some uneaten, and sometimes as much as 20%.  Is this normal cat behavior?  Prior to moving in here, she was wild and foraging for food (probably not always successfully) and I would expect her to eat it all.

Tomorrow is 6 months since Bear died.  It is still so fresh to me that I can't believe that it has been half of a year.  In my mind's eye I often see him lifeless as I found him that terrible morning, and it still makes my stomach queasy.  I miss him terribly.  I can't thank you enough for all of the helpful comments that you have made.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

OldTrojan,

As I have said my loving wife and I had cats for almost the entire 35 years we were together. We always had multiple cats and we always subscribed to the free feeding principle, put out the food and they will eat and keep coming back when hungry. It always worked for us as long as we made sure there was food in the bowl. None of the cats ever "abused" it. We also used that theory for our Chihuahua's, it never worked for our larger dogs though.

I am sorry that the bad thought about finding Bear is tormenting you, but I do understand it. I actually had thoughts this morning about our Chihuahua's last moments, since I was the one who ended up taking them to be euthanized when it was their time. I woke up too early again this morning and those were some of the thoughts going through my mind.

Also still reeling from yesterday being what would have been my loving wife and my 35th Wedding Anniversary. Today is 10 months since my loving wife died and it seems longer since I was able to hold and kiss her. Time is a terrible thing when it comes to your brain and what you are feeling.

I know that we will have the many waves of grief and no matter how much we think we progressed there will always be some sort of trigger that hits so hard. I am not really the best person to give any advice about the grieving process, but I think it helps to remember that you really LOVED Bear and that is why it hurts so much.

• Like 1

• Moderators
16 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

she always leaves some uneaten

They do that, they don't want to be "out," they want to have reserve on hand.  I've never had a cat overeat, the only obese ones I've seen were  because people plied them with too many treats or they had a disorder. Kitty and Autumn were my smallest at about nine lbs but Kitty lost half her weight when she was dying.  I've seen cats weight 20 lbs when larger breed, but most can be in between somewhere but maybe closer to 10-12 lbs.  Put dry food out for her and give her occasional wet food or treats but not much.  She'll be fine, they're usually self adjusting.

Six months, I know it both seems impossible but unreal at the same time.  Time passes when you don't think it possible.

You're in my thoughts and prayers today.

John, I'm sorry, anniversaries seem the hardest for me to get through...what was a joyous day now seems...I don't even know the word for it.

• Hugs 1

• Members

I’m disappointed that I had such a strong grief reaction yesterday at the six month anniversary of Bear.  I had been doing much better.  I can only guess at the level of emotion John has of two emotional anniversaries on successive days.  We certainly understand.

Thanks for the cat advice.  But she is eating less, and this concerns me.  She is really big now, so the kittens will be here soon.  She needs her nutrition.  Two days ago she ate almost nothing of the dry food that I gave her, yesterday and today she’s eating about half of normal.  I hope that she is ok.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

You might try giving her something special like tuna or chicken.  Kitty loved canned food, it was easier for her to eat but she could only have 1/2 can/day or she'd get diarrhea.  I haven't had one just not eat unless they've got an ailment.  But I've never had a pregnant cat either.  So long as she keeps eating and seems okay.  Maybe she has morning sickness?  No idea, just remembering how it felt to be pregnant...

I hope she's okay too...maybe her eating will return after she gives birth?  Are there vets nearby you can call for an opinion?

Anniversaries of death can hit hard... :(

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

No real experience either with pregnant animals. One accidental pregnancy with a female dog was enough for me to always get them all fixed. My loving wife at one time thought she wanted to breed Cocker Spaniels but then decided that wasn't for us. Too many breeders only want the money and don't care about their Animals, including many of my loving wife's co-workers.

• Like 1

• Members
15 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

But she is eating less, and this concerns me.  She is really big now, so the kittens will be here soon.  She needs her nutrition.  Two days ago she ate almost nothing of the dry food that I gave her, yesterday and today she’s eating about half of normal.  I hope that she is ok.

With the caveat that I'm not a vet and have never had a pregnant pet, I think she may be just fine--and just about ready.  I did a quick "labor signs" search and one of the things that came up is that cats often have a decrease in appetite within a few days of going into labor.  It said that the kittens can press on her stomach and/or she is anxious about what's happening.  The article also mentioned that the decrease is usually noticeable because up until then, most pregnant cats are chow hounds (so to speak).

Here's a link, if that helps:

Cat labor signs

Best of luck to both of you!  I hope she and her kittens are healthy and strong.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

No, of course there are no vets here.  That’s the root of so many problems for pets here.  Thyanks for the cat advice.

She’s been a bit spoiled about food.  I give her two kinds of crunchy food.  Also, once a day at breakfast, I give her ¼ of a can of meaty canned food along with the crunchy.  She is eating the canned food.  From what I read, I don’t give her too much of the canned.

Foreeverhis, thank you so much for the time and effort to find this link and info.  I should have been looking.  She does exhibit some of the behaviors.  I’ll try and find a big enough box for the nesting behavior mentioned.

I am not looking forward to kittens, as it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to give them away.  My landlord is planning on trying to come back next month, and he will probably kill them if I can’t find homes.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

When I hear talk about your landlord killing these sweet innocent kittens it is heartbreaking. I know it probably happens all the time. :( Still so traumatizing to hear that someone would have such little regard for animals especially here on this forum. It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about. I hope things work out. I hope maybe you are able to figure a way to get them to some shelter somewhere, somehow or that what seems impossible, becomes doable. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
34 minutes ago, OldTrojan said:

Foreeverhis, thank you so much for the time and effort to find this link and info.  I should have been looking.

I'm happy to do my little bit to help.  You are still deeply grieving your sweet Bear and have quite enough to deal with right now.  The least I could do was take a few minutes on your behalf.  (My soulmate in a dog was our sweet Charlie Bear.  I don't know why that should make me feel more connected to your loss, but somehow it does.)

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, John9 said:

One accidental pregnancy with a female dog was enough for me to always get them all fixed.

Me too, years ago we tried to get our Australian Shepherd fixed, they said she had to wait until she was six months old, she was five months.  She turned up pregnant, not sure how as she was fenced in!  We rehomed her to grandparents who could be home with her, she had eleven pups, rolled over and killed all but one or two.  She was NOT ready to be a mom!  

Kodie had a terrible reaction to his vaccinations when he was little, so I was too terrified to get him neutered....I've read too many stories on grief sites of people losing their pets during the surgery, still scared to do it, but then he's never loose.  Yesterday I spent two hours trying to get an appt. for him for his annual vaccinations, no one will do it, you have to wait a month!  Didn't get a reminder card from his vet so he'll be late AND I have to worry about not being able to make it in because of snow.  NOT a good time of year for this, but since they require it being done on time to get his license next year, that's always going to be a problem where I live.  And vets are NOT doing their job, if you have any problems you have to take them in ER instead of their vet, everyone blaming everything on Covid!  I also discovered they over-vaccinated him (and charged me) two years ago and under-vaccinated him last year!  Since you can't be with them you count on the vets going off their records but they botched it!  I want a new vet, easier said than done.  Everything out of town and far away.

22 hours ago, John9 said:

oo many breeders only want the money and don't care about their Animals

I have not found that the case with Kodie's breeder, fortunately.  Kodie was from his first batch.  He has several dogs so doesn't over breed them and cares what homes they go to.  Kodie was his favorite. We still stay in touch and it's been neat to see Kodie's siblings and parents!

I did wonder that it had something to do with her impending delivery.  Good to see it's normal.  I hope you can find homes for the kits, is there some way to get her spayed?

• Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, KayC said:

Kodie had a terrible reaction to his vaccinations when he was little, so I was too terrified to get him neutered....I've read too many stories on grief sites of people losing their pets during the surgery, still scared to do it, but then he's never loose.

KayC,

Yes, sadly my loving wife reminded me every time one of ours needed anything done. There is always a chance of a reaction to the anesthesia. It did happen to some of their clients. Whenever we had anything done also we knew there was a risk too. I tried to be there when they had to do the stent for my loving wife, but had to care for MIL and it was a rush procedure. That worked out okay but then the next day she died without me being there, which I will always regret. Anyway, as we do know and have said Covid will haunt us for a long time. Office hours, fees, staffing, all kinds of issues that we will need to figure out. I read something not too long ago about Veterinarian offices having too many new clients because people adopted animals during the stay at home/work from home situation. It sound like a good situation business wise but if you can't take care of them, you have mistakes or other issues. I didn't mean to imply all breeders were bad, but I have seen and heard of quite a few who are just in it for the money. I hope you can get Kodie his shots that he needs, but as I said I believe we lost our Catahoula because of a "known" (undisclosed) reaction to his rabies shot.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Can't get all of them at once, and I need a copy of his shots last year, not in the file, not sure where it went!  His tags disappeared a few months ago when Jazzy pulled his collar off and lost it.  His vet was not open or answering the phone yesterday, on a Wednesday!  No wonder they're booked up for the next month!  I called 5-6 places about getting shots for him and ALL are booked for a month!  If your pet has something wrong you have to take them in emergency!  What good is having a VET?!!!  I'm so angry, people all use Covid as an excuse to not do their jobs anymore!  It's insane.  But they double their prices!  Hey, social security didn't double with it!

Here's a picture of my little guy when he had the bad reaction a couple of years ago.  He couldn't sit or lay and he'd been standing all day so I finally put a pillow in front of him and he leaned over and rested on it while still standing.  He elicited a lot of sympathy on FB!

1473641259_Kodie012720sick.jpg.c50e89d0d042672a85f502d419e974cc.jpg

• Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

Can't get all of them at once, and I need a copy of his shots last year, not in the file, not sure where it went!  His tags disappeared a few months ago when Jazzy pulled his collar off and lost it.  His vet was not open or answering the phone yesterday, on a Wednesday!  No wonder they're booked up for the next month!  I called 5-6 places about getting shots for him and ALL are booked for a month!  If your pet has something wrong you have to take them in emergency!  What good is having a VET?!!!  I'm so angry, people all use Covid as an excuse to not do their jobs anymore!  It's insane.  But they double their prices!  Hey, social security didn't double with it!

Here's a picture of my little guy when he had the bad reaction a couple of years ago.  He couldn't sit or lay and he'd been standing all day so I finally put a pillow in front of him and he leaned over and rested on it while still standing.  He elicited a lot of sympathy on FB!

KayC,

I am sorry that Kodie had that reaction. I completely understand what you are saying, it SUCKS. We had to us the Emergency Vet when our female Chihuahua decided it was her time. It was one of the many long painful drives knowing the outcome. I hope you can find the information you need (records) and can get Kodie his shots. I know the distress it causes us when things go wrong for our furbabies. Even when it is a delayed shot or two, because we want them protected. As I said Covid will bite us in the wallet for years to come. Income from whatever source will never keep up with the other side unless you are "rich" and in control. Many of us will always suffer in having to decide how to pay for what we need just to survive. But that is another discussion which we have touched on before.

• Like 1

• Members

I’m so saddened with these stories of vet problems.  I have had no experience with vets, other than the group that visited here two years ago and did assembly-line treatment of nearly 900 animals in four days.  We desperately need a vet here, and even a mediocre one would be better than none.  Covid has kept vets from visiting, and several have been otherwise willing to come, including the group from two years ago.

Kay, little Kodie is a cutie!  I hope that you can get him all caught up on shots.  Fortunately, no urgent emergency.

I’m still waiting for huge Miss Kitty to have her kittens.  I built a birthing box as recommended on the site that Foreverhis passed along.  She has no interest in it.  Unlike most cats, she hasn’t been interested in climbing in boxes, or paper bags.  Too much the wild cat, I guess, although she is getting more domesticated.  Oddly, she likes lying down in Bear’s favorite places.  She likes the middle of the kitchen floor, which I think that Bear liked because he knew that the big white cold thing had food in it.  She also likes lying on the floor at my front door, with her head on the outside step, and body inside the kitchen, which was Bear’s favorite.  I don’t know why either would like that.   She also likes sleeping at the back of my apartment overlooking the lagoon where a good breeze usually blows, which was MommaDog’s favorite place to nap.  I gave her an old pillow for a bed, but she wasn’t interested.  I dread trying to find homes for the kittens before my landlord kills them.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well I got him into a spay/neuter place that also dispenses vaccinations, first come, first served, had to drive about 70 miles away and get there early (opens 1:00, got there 12:15), no place to use the bathroom as no one lets you in anymore (Covid) so that was uncomfortable.  She listed Kodie's weight at 11.5, I weighed him when I got home, he's double that!  She listed him as three even though I told her two and even gave his birthdate, she used the current date three years before as his birth date!  I placed a call to them, took a day to get a call back and they said the dosage was the same regardless of weight.  His vet was closed Wed. the day I went but I reached someone by phone the next day (they never responded to my voicemail) and they said they'd mail me the receipt from last year.  Also told me his rabies and DHHP shots were three years so not due until 2024, so thankfully I won't have to return there for a long while.  May get him neutered this summer, I hate to do it but they charge way more for licensing of an intact dog.  Ticks me off as I hate unnecessary risk.  Not sure of anything yet.  But I got the shots he needed and on time!

17 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

She likes the middle of the kitchen floor, which I think that Bear liked because he knew that the big white cold thing had food in it.

Haha, guess where she'll make her abode when she delivers!  :D  You'll be walking around her for weeks!  

• Like 1

• Members
On 1/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, OldTrojan said:

Oddly, she likes lying down in Bear’s favorite places.  She likes the middle of the kitchen floor, which I think that Bear liked because he knew that the big white cold thing had food in it.  She also likes lying on the floor at my front door, with her head on the outside step, and body inside the kitchen, which was Bear’s favorite.  I don’t know why either would like that.   She also likes sleeping at the back of my apartment overlooking the lagoon where a good breeze usually blows, which was MommaDog’s favorite place to nap. 

I think that animals sense and can scent the places where other pets have been.  Our old cat Penny would nap in the middle of the tiled entry after her big brother Keeshond Charlie Bear died.  She never did that before, but it was one of his favorite spots.  Ditto the spot where his bed had been upstairs and his favorite spot on the old chair he had "claimed."  She spent most of her time snuggled with her human daddy or sleeping in the bed with us as she always had, but I do think that she derived comfort from the "special" places.

• Like 1

• Members
10 hours ago, KayC said:

She listed Kodie's weight at 11.5, I weighed him when I got home, he's double that!  She listed him as three even though I told her two and even gave his birthdate, she used the current date three years before as his birth date!  I placed a call to them, took a day to get a call back and they said the dosage was the same regardless of weight. 

KayC,

I have asked many times in many ways, Why when we talk does nobody listen. I received a piece of mail today in MIL's name that said deceased and then her name. It should have never been sent, because the point of me informing them she died was so they don't send mail. She died and can't use the service they provide anymore so her account should be closed altogether.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, John9 said:

Why when we talk does nobody listen.

I don't know, John, I don't know.  The world has changed, for sure.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Interesting comments.  Many people, especially Boomers, have talked about a decrease in customer service in America.  Academic studies have confirmed this.  Younger people think that we are just cranky old people.  Younger people seem less interested in customer service (either providing or receiving) and would rather shop online, since they live on their phones anyway.  This seems a particularly American issue.  Customer service is still part of European culture.

I’m worried, as Miss Kitty disappeared 24 hours ago.  She was uncomfortable, and probably in pain for two days, as she had gotten so big.  She’s not a vocal cat, but was crying often.  There was nothing that I could do to help.  At lunchtime yesterday I went across the street to the store, and when I returned, she was gone.  This may be some instinct thing, where she went off someplace secluded to have the kittens.  I’m not concerned for them, as they are probably doomed, anyway, when my landlord gets back.  I talked to four likely candidates for the kittens, with no luck.  I don't expect to find people to adopt them.  I searched, but there are too many places here where she could have hidden away.  She hasn’t eaten any of the food that I out last evening or today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry, nothing to relieve your heart but maybe time.  You're undoubtedly right, that she went off to have her kittens in seclusions.  She may not want to leave them and perhaps is hunting close by.  It's got to be hard, but animals manage.  She may bring the kittens back with her eventually.  We wish so much we could help them through this.

Even with online shopping customer service is nonexistent.  I placed an order with WalMart online on the 14th, they charged my mastercard, on the 17th they provided a tracking number but the item never entered the postal system.  I kept an eye on the tracking number, should have been here before now but still showing the post office hasn't received the package.  Called the post office and they tell me they have not received it.  Called WM twice, they do nothing.  Messaged seller, all they do is repeat the tracking number, do not even read/respond to my messages.  Today I filed a claim with my bank, I received the Mastercard statement right away!  Meanwhile, I reordered the product two days ago as it's a supplement that is expensive and I'm going to run out soon.  No one cares.  Grr!  This is an everyday occurrence.  

My bank online was messing up, I reported it.  They didn't get back to me for months.  They said it was fixed, it wasn't.  Then months later said it was fixed again, no more problem.  Then I heard from them again about it, they didn't bother reading my response that it was fixed.  A month later I get a message saying they've tried calling me.  Umm, no they have not!   They didn't read my response.  Today another msg. saying they've tried calling me.  No they have not, they're not in my call log, I have an answering system and no one has left a message.  So unless they've spoofed a number and didn't leave a message, they've never tried.  Why do they lie about it?  Why does no one read or listen?

It didn't used to be this way.  Not when I was working!

• Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

You are correct about everything you said, at least in my opinion. I have many stories that I could share but nothing will be resolved, I will share what happened today though. Our son was staying in MIL's house for the last few years and there is an issue with the water meter, he called and I called to get the meter replaced and nothing happened. He called last week again and finally got a replacement scheduled for today. They showed up on time and went about replacing the meter AND then when it came time to make sure it was reading correctly, they didn't bring the required magnetic device to turn it on. This is their job, they knew what they were coming to do and what they need to do it with. How can you forget the critical part. So we still don't know if it was "fixed" and it will now be more important when time comes if I am able to sell the house because I will need an accurate water bill that is paid or it will cause an issue.

• Like 1

• Members

Miss Kitty is not far removed from being a feral cat living rough without a home.  I assume that she is hiding her kittens somewhere.  This morning some of the food that I set out for her was gone, and I hope that it was she who ate it.  It has been interesting watching her slowly transition from feral cat to being somewhat domesticated.  She’s been spending up to half her time inside now, and often comes looking for attention, which is a big change.

MommaDog did this, too.  She abandoned her first two litters somewhere.  We never saw them, heard them, or smelled their decomposing bodies.  We did find her third and forth litters.  She had them hidden in some dense shrubs and was taking care of them.  Neither my landlord (6’4”) or I (6’2”) could get to them.  We only figured it out because she seemed to be guarding areas that she normally paid no attention to.  My landlord got some kids to crawl in there, and get some scrapes to retrieve them, and put them in a big wooden packing crate, which was modified so that MommaDog could get in to feed and care for them.

I’m very worried about Miss Kitty.

Awful customer service experiences for you both

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

OldTrojan,

I hope that things work out for the best for Miss Kitty, and for you too. What I mean is I don't want the grief you feel for Bear to hit you hard again if something happens to Miss Kitty. It would be really hard for me to handle it if I was in that situation. I know what you have said about kittens where you live but maybe this time will be different. Sometimes things change for the better. I will hope for the best.

• Like 1

• Members
4 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

I’m very worried about Miss Kitty.

Of course you're worried because you're a good man who cares.  I hope everything is okay with Miss Kitty--and with you.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It's likely her that came for the food, and that is a good sign.  I hope she has access to water wherever she is.    Would be nice to have a web cam about now...

John, sounds typical.  I got a call last night from my bank about an old issue that no one responded correctly to in the last year.  I had to tell her the whole story of their mishandling, not reading my report, not listening, etc.  It's all a moot point now..  I hope you can get someone back out to finish the job on the water meter, I wouldn't let that go, I'd revisit it asap!  
What is the matter with this generation!  I used to hope for different politicians...now I can see there is no hope.  :(  Not with politicians anyway.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Thanks, everyone.

Last night some food and water disappeared again.  I hope that it is Miss Kitty who is eating/drinking.  I am very much a dog person, but not much of a cat person, but I am worried about her, with no vet here.  It sounds a bit callous, but given the circumstances here, I am not so concerned about the kittens.  There will be heartbreak when my landlord gets back.

Kay, I know what you mean about today’s politicians.  Completely dysfunctional.  They seem to be either loony left or crazy right, with no functioning center compromising to do the nation’s business.  Living outside the US for so long and observing this, it is not the country in which I grew up.  I miss the America of years gone by.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, OldTrojan said:

Living outside the US for so long and observing this, it is not the country in which I grew up.  I miss the America of years gone by.

I have to agree...the one positive is that I can still gripe about it, unlike some countries.  But you'd better believe in today's day and age, big brother is watching, listening, gathering info, technology has changed everything.  I won't even have a smart t.v.  And I never considered myself paranoid, but I am cautious about privacy invasion.

I'm glad she's coming back to eat/drink!  I'm sure it is her, she knows it's there. ;) I doubt she wants to leave her kitties alone for long.

• Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, KayC said:

big brother is watching,

KayC,

We will be at your house this morning to talk to you about this comment.:laugh:

I agree that at least we can still comment, whether they are listening in or not. I don't care anymore, maybe they will arrest me I could use the rest.

OldTrojan,

I hope Miss Kitty is doing okay and even though I understand what you have said about kittens, I hope they are okay too.