Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Doing my best to socialize

june483

• Members

june483: The fact that you are getting out there I would say is huge. If you can only do an hour then so what? You've done an hour that you may not otherwise have done. And I wouldn't worry about being boring. Even before I lost my husband I was the type that could sit in the corner with just one or two people in a room full of people sounding like a stampede of rhinos passing through. And yet, I use to have a job where I had to speak before large crowds of people and had no problem with that. But that was work. Our social lives don't always mirror who we are (or have to be) for a job. I think you are doing good. You're brave and it helps me to read your experiences. Thank you for sharing this one.  

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, june483 said:

. . .  It is so hard to enjoy more than an hour or two of other people before I just want to get back home.  . . . 

June, 

I have often felt like that when trying to socialize.  I just can't do it.  I'm counting the minutes until I can leave without seeming too rude.

I am hoping that sometime in the future this will not be so hard.  Covid has greatly reduced the number of social events I have tried to endure. I am grateful to covid for that. 

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Chincube, 

I think you have the best approach.  It is good to try to have fun again in your life.  But it is a slow process.

Gail

• Like 3

• Members
9 hours ago, chincube said:

I am still alive

exactly! - can't stop trying to make the most of whatever time we have left - ....I was never good at pretending and still stink at it now but I don't want to be rude

• Like 1

• Members
16 hours ago, chincube said:

But I am still going to socialize, gently and not too much, for I am still alive and I need interaction with people. However taking it easy as we need is important too, and knowing there's no problem how we feel/react.

I agree with this! What we do and how/when we do it needs to be on our own terms. At least for now.  

• Like 2