Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Delayed grief

Adam Flynn

• Members

I lost my mom to a rare brain disease two years ago. My daughter had a psychotic break and was diagnosed with severe depression shortly after. I have been slowly sinking into my own depression to the point I just don’t care about anything. I realize that I didn’t and haven’t begun to grieve for my mom. Though I’ve lost my dad, brother and, recently, a good friend, I always had my mom to ground me. I’ve tried counseling but just feel coddled. It validates nothing and leaves me feeling worse than when I went in. Having read many of your posts I feel the community may be helpful. Sharing my grief with people who’ve been there is both sad and heartening.

• Members

Dear Adam,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is devastating to lose a beloved parent that was our everything. Please know there is no right or wrong way to grieve. I know for myself it was a bit of trial and error and different things work for different people. I hope you and your daughter can find the right supports during this sad and difficult time.

We have a good group of people here. I know it helped me a lot. I also suggest these websites for additional supports.

What's Your Grief

Grief Share

Grief in Common

Grief Healing Blog