Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Dad

Brenian

• Members

Been a little over a month since I lost my Dad to cancer and I am hurting so bad. I feel so lost without him. On the outside I keep it together but inside I am hurting so bad. When I lost my Mom in 2000 I don’t remember it hurting this bad. My Dad and I have always been close but I just don’t know how to heal and move on. Please tell me I am not alone…..

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Missmybeautifulmum

You're definitely not alone in feeling this way. A month is such a short time as well,  I'm at 7 weeks since my mum passed away and it's still extremely, recently raw for me. Its so hard and not surprisingly so.. your parent is there with and for you your entire life! So for them to suddenly be gone is so shocking and scary like you're reality has completely changed and you are just left to deal with it.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss. Be kind and gentle to yourself. The first year of grief is the hardest. It is a raw time and it's only natural to feel this way. Losing my father was the hardest moment of my life. I just didn't know and wanted to believe my dad would be here with us till a 100.

Please know we are with you and you are not alone.

• Members
jinnycabbie

Hello Brenian,  i am very sorry for your loss.  i too lost my beloved dad to cancer almost 2 months ago.  you are not alone.  i too often feel that i am putting on a brave face for outsiders and feel like i cant confide in many people.  i feel often fake nice even though i want to cry....

cancer is such as awful illness and there are so many elements to the start of the diagnosis....a part of me wants to blame the primary care doctor for potentially missing key findings early on....i go thru the 'what ifs' scenarios many times to exhaustion.....

• Members
Beatrixszabo
On 7/15/2021 at 9:58 AM, Brenian said:

Been a little over a month since I lost my Dad to cancer and I am hurting so bad. I feel so lost without him. On the outside I keep it together but inside I am hurting so bad. When I lost my Mom in 2000 I don’t remember it hurting this bad. My Dad and I have always been close but I just don’t know how to heal and move on. Please tell me I am not alone…..

You are not alone. I lost my dad 33 years ago when I was 9. I didn't feel too much, life went on. But now that I lost my mom June 10th, this is horrible. Like end of world and life.  No more joy. Nothing makes me excited, I'm not interested in anything. I just live day by day  one day is like the other. i feel I'm dying too. I lost my mom to cancer, but unexpectedly.  I was in shock and still in. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Members
griefstricken532

Today is 6 weeks ago I lost my dad and hurting like it was yesterday.  The missing is paralyzing, I don't know how to exist without my dad and feel so lost.  I don't know my world without him and never imagined a loss would be so difficult.   I go through my day just numb and everyone around me thinks I should be ok and 'over it' by now.  I can't help how I feel but just feel empty inside.

• Members
unluckydaughter

Dear @Brenian,

I’m very sorry for your loss. You’re not alone! I lost my dear dad unexpectedly to covid exactly 3 months ago and everything just feels like yesterday. I kept praying to God when I got a call that dad suffered a cardiac arrest. I still cannot believe the sequence of unfortunate events that we went through 3 months ago. My brother’s words on the phone call keeps ringing in my ears every now and then. I couldn’t see dad due to the travel ban due to covid and the last I’d met him in-person was in 2019. Not a single hour goes by without thinking of him, being guilty, angry and pained. Covid turned our lives upside down, plus being isolated from rest of the world has made us feel dejected. My days go by talking normally at work on the outside, but there’s a deep wound that seems like it won’t heal. Like @griefstricken532 mentioned, everyone thinks we should be okay now that we have passed a certain number of days without our parent. But whoever thinks so haven’t lost anyone. Nobody even asks how you feel anymore. Nobody asks if you’re doing okay now. They just don’t wanna talk about this. They assume this is very normal. But please let your heart out on this forum to get some relief. We are here to listen and respond which hopefully makes you feel better and know you’re not alone.