Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Being There for My Mom After My Dad’s Passing

mra

• Members

My dad passed away last month and I haven’t been there for my mom like I should because it makes me sick to walk in their house and see it exactly the same just without him. I also have always been extremely close to my mom and seeing her upset only drains me and upsets me so I end up feeling like I’m not helping her any. And I just feel worse than when I got there because now I’m stressing and worrying about her. What do I do?

• Members

Dear mra,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very painful time and I can understand how you feel about entering the house without your dad being there. It's so good of you to want to support your mom during this sad time. It's a difficult balance trying to process your own grief but also being there for your mom. Could a friend or family member go with you to the house? Would your mom be okay with texting or FaceTime instead? Or be able to meet you outside of the house at a park or mall?

My thoughts are with you and your mom.