Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

It's been 3 years today

foreverhis

• Members
7 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I'm at the end of the day that is exactly 3 years since I lost my husband, my best friend, my soul mate, my everything. 

Hi forever...i am in the same place as you! 3 years and some months... I'm missing him all the time, i'm missing his laugh... The tender intense fun life together!

Without him i am deadly bored and lonely!

A boredom and loneliness that not even friends can eliminate, but they are so nice to me..it's not their fault...i'm missing a very special person! 

So i'm living with them some good moments , with cakes and wine...tomorrow night i will be with some more friends to see the final of European Championship of football...Italy play against England!

I don't care about the match, but i want stay with friends..it's so good not to be alone in my house!

I'm trying everything to find a good life...even i asked him to help me to find a fun life again...he knows how to make me laugh, he knows how to make me feel good!

After 3 years i have to resign and admit to myself that, although it is the thing i want most in the world, i won't find him anytime soon!

Sometimes i cry for this desperate awareness and i have some comfort from my fur little  sister, my cat Margot who is the witness of my bad moments.

This is my life 3 years after....

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, foreverhis said:

A little while later, she texted again with the offer of a furry love bug

I'm so glad!  You have truly wonderful neighbors as I do!  If I didn't know better, I'd think we lived in the same community.  I've never figured out quite how to do death anv. or wedding anv. or their birthday, it's just plain hard to get through.  I know my little Kodie truly helps since I lost Arlie.  They are wonderful beings!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
17 hours ago, foreverhis said:

I'm at the end of the day that is exactly 3 years since I lost my husband, my best friend, my soul mate, my everything. 

foreverhis:  I am very sorry for your loss. Your husband sounds like he was the perfect mate for you. I like how you ask him to come and get you after you've taken care of certain things but then reached the point where you bargain with him...telling him that you will stick around until after your granddaughter goes to college. Maybe that's a sign that you are giving yourself permission to continue on. ?? I think it's a show of strength. You have chosen to "stick around" and that's good...for your family, your friends and neighbors but most importantly, you've done it for yourself. While I can only speak for myself I know that if I don't want to stick around all I have to do is remove the oxygen from my face. But no, I come here and here is where I am gaining some strength -through the support I get from everyone here.

I am glad you find comfort in your furry friend. My cats help to comfort me. We don't speak each other's language but I think they understand that I am not myself lately and offer me hugs and just their presence by lying down next to me. Kudos for you stepping out with your furry friend and being out there in the world again. You are such an inspiration. You may not feel like you are but sharing with us your own story of growth, setbacks and progress helps me.     

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

So now I begin year 4 without John by my side.  

Foreverhis,

Sending you hugs tonight. I think we both know we will never again, on earth, have what we had with our Johns.  But we were so fortunate to have the time we did have together. 

Life is still good. Life is worth living. Children, grand children, friends, family still want and need us.  Somehow we have to make that be enough. 

I hope you have a sweet dream tonight. 

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 7/11/2021 at 3:45 AM, Gail 8588 said:

Somehow we have to make that be enough. 

Yes..just like that Gail! We must be content of what we have now...

only god knows how much i've fought against this...and sometimes i still do...

• Like 3

• Members

Thank you everyone. It's so comforting to know that all of you understand what the day (and days leading up to it) was like for me.:wub2:

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
17 hours ago, widower2 said:

Wow. What's that like? I didn't even get that much immediately afterwards, never mind years later. I guarantee nobody I care about that (I think) cares about me even has a clue what day it was. Maybe even what month.

I'm so sorry people treated you (and others) like that.  Desertion and ignorance seem to run rampant among the people that you should be able to count on the most.

I have had a few casual friends completely vanish, but that's okay because they reacted poorly from the beginning.  A few I had to "boot" out of my life because of their callousness (e.g., pretending John never existed at all--unacceptable under any circumstances).  A few people have drifted, though not completely away.  For the most part, our very small, loyal circle of friends and family have stayed with me and kept John's memory alive in their own lives. 

There were times in the first year or two that I know were hard for them.  For example, our brother-by-choice, his best friend (married to our other best friend), didn't tell me at the time so as not to burden me, but he had a hard time that first fall.  See, he and John weren't sports fanatics, but they enjoyed some football and baseball.  So every Labor Day weekend, they'd sit down and figure out which games were worth watching.  It was a ritual for nearly 30 years.  For John, it was "guy time" and very important to them both.  That first year, our friend had a bit of an emotional breakdown over that weekend.  Several times in that first year when the family came down, he and his son would spend a day working on little projects that John would have done.  They said it made them feel connected to John and gave them tangible ways to feel they were helping me hang on.

These kinds of things have continued, though not as often because people's lives have moved forward.  But they haven't left me or us behind.  Throughout the first year, I wasn't the only one to have emotional triggers, both expected and unexpected.  They tried to shield me from some of it, knowing that my pain was so much worse. 

Our newer local friends also continue to be there for me.  These friendships have strengthened over time.

I do not ever take the people in my/our life for granted.  I know I am lucky and maybe unusual in that way.

• Like 4

• Members

My husband had an unusually broad group of friends that had a deep personal connection to him.  And as I was with him for 40 years, they were my friends too. But when John died, I was such a mess, I really built a wall around myself and pretty much wouldn't let anyone in. A big part of it was that I felt so guilty, I didn't deserve any sympathy.  It was my fault their dear friend was dead, how could I look them in the eye? 

Inspite of my determination to run away from them all, several of them stayed in my life and still contact me regularly.  It's only been in the last year that I have been treating them decently.  I am really amazed that any of them persevered so long. 

John's family have always embraced me, as have my 2 brothers, and of course my sons.  So I have been very fortunate to have a lot of loving support. 

Finally, after 4 years, I can actually feel their love for me. 

Gail

• Like 2