Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my Dad when I was 10

Me21

• Members

My Dad passed away in 1996. He was my whole world and I've been completely lost without him. My Mother neglected us. She was severely depressed and an alcoholic. I had to take care of my two younger sisters or we surely would have been taken away by social services. I dont think I ever had a real chance to grieve his death in any kind of healthy way. Im getting married in 17 days so I'm seeing a lot of family and people from the past. It's bringing up a lot of past issues and im having really horrible thoughts.

• Members

Dear Me21,

There has been so much on your shoulders. You sound like a very responsible and conscientious older sister and daughter. It's so hard to deal with the passing of beloved father and then coping with your mom and raising your two younger sisters. It's a lot for one person to take on. Getting married is a big milestone in one's life and it is only natural you would have so many raw feelings come up.  I hope you can find a therapist or counselor that will help you work through your feelings. There are also support groups that might help as well.

Please know we are here and thinking of you.