Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Holidays...

widower2

• Moderators

For most I think this holiday is easier (not easy, easier) than things like Christmas, Thanksgiving etc, but still. I hope you have some plans full of hot dogs and fireworks etc. :) 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Most places here are canceling fireworks as it's so hot/dry/drought (PNW).  No festivities for me.  My sister's needs have been consuming my life anyway.  Sweet of you to think of everyone else!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

It's cooled down to low 90s now, I can handle that, the 100s not so much.  I do have a friend I can hang out with in her A/C but prefer to sleep at home.  I don't think I'll die from the heat but I do want to buy an A/C when it's off season, they're in short supply right now and the cost is premium.  I've never needed one in 44 years here!

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Diane R. E.

I only have my brother and sister near me, and neither invited me over for the 4th of July. That makes me more sad than being with people today. My husband and I moved here during the Covid crisis, so I haven't made any friends of my own yet. So it's just me and my new adopted cat, Miss Viola - she is a 6 year old rescue cat. At least I'm happy to give her a forever home and she will be good company for me.

Miss Viola.jpg

• Like 4

• Members

Like most holidays, my husband and I usually did not go out. Just sort of did our own thing. We didn't want to be out on the roads with drunk drivers and didn't like crowds or the heat. We were usually ready for bed before midnight. I guess you could say we were boring but we had fun in our own way. And we'd watch the local parade and the city fireworks display on TV and then listen and watch all the fireworks in the neighborhood, some just as big as what the pro's use (and illegal in the city limits). The year before I got sick I ordered a small cake for the 4th of July. It would be our last. Had the bakery write "Happy 4th Of July!" on it. My husband was diabetic so normally couldn't eat cake and frosting but we learned that just once in a while he could handle being "bad". And so cake it was. He loved the frosted cakes I would order because they would usually cover it with lots of flowers made from frosting and it was sweeter (and a smaller cake) than anything I could bake myself. It was funny watching a grown man go after the part of a cake with the flowers on it.    

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
5 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

So it's just me and my new adopted cat, Miss Viola - she is a 6 year old rescue cat. At least I'm happy to give her a forever home and she will be good company for me.

Diane R.E.:  Oh, your Miss Viola is beautiful! And lucky you, she chose to go home with YOU!  Yes, I believe animals choose us. And it's great that you adopted a rescue. My two cats were both rescues. They have been a great comfort to me during this time. They don't like it when I cry but when I'm done, they come back to lie next to me again. They also don't like it if I laugh too hard. Guess they just don't like anything too loud or emotional. But they are both very affectionate and that's what counts. Thank goodness we have our pets...animals seem to know us better than we think. Sometimes better than other humans do.  

• Like 3

• Members
jwahlquist
On 7/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, KayC said:

Most places here are canceling fireworks as it's so hot/dry/drought (PNW).  No festivities for me.  My sister's needs have been consuming my life anyway.  Sweet of you to think of everyone else!

Yes it has indeed been so super hot here in the PNW. Nearly all of the local fireworks and festivities have been canceled.  I am hoping for no fires as it is so dry and miserable now after the “heat dome” has passed.  Our hay field is getting cut nearly 2 months early.   What should be 4-5 feet tall is only 18”-3 feet at most.   The wheat fields here are ridiculously short and close to harvest already.  

We need rain desperately.  This is the first time I can remember the city asking people to conserve water and not water their yards.   That is pretty standard practice for Seattle but not here.  

Hoping everyone has a safe and enjoyable 4th.  

• Like 3

• Members
jwahlquist
4 hours ago, Markies liz said:

To all of you.in the hot hot heat, it makes me sound silly when I complain about the Wisconsin heat when I hear of your temps! It's high 90s and crazy humid here. 

I was just in Wisconsin the beginning of June……the humidity is awful.   I much prefer the dry heat of the PNW to the damp heat.  I have to admit that I was not pleased with the days it 112 here.  If I wanted to be that hot I would move to Arizona.  

• Like 3

• Members
16 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

I only have my brother and sister near me, and neither invited me over for the 4th of July. That makes me more sad than being with people today. My husband and I moved here during the Covid crisis, so I haven't made any friends of my own yet. So it's just me and my new adopted cat, Miss Viola - she is a 6 year old rescue cat. At least I'm happy to give her a forever home and she will be good company for me.

Miss Viola.jpg

I'm sorry Diane for your 4 of july alone...think that you don't deserve to be with so insensitive  family....!

But Viola is so cute! Hope you can find some solace with her! Hugs Roxi

• Like 4

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

So it's just me and my new adopted cat, Miss Viola

Same here, with me and Kodie. :wub:  BTW, beautiful kitty!

16 hours ago, Markies liz said:

It's high 90s and crazy humid here.

That's hot to me!

• Like 2

• Members
foreverhis
On 7/4/2021 at 8:07 AM, KayC said:

It's cooled down to low 90s now, I can handle that, the 100s not so much.  I do have a friend I can hang out with in her A/C but prefer to sleep at home.  I don't think I'll die from the heat but I do want to buy an A/C when it's off season, they're in short supply right now and the cost is premium.  I've never needed one in 44 years here!

Our daughter in Ballard told me that they had day after day of 100+ temperatures.  As you know, it's been getting hotter every summer.  A few years ago, she bought some Mylar sheets to clip over the windows on hot days.  She said they really help.  She and a friend also invested in a small above-ground pool this year to replace the little kiddie pool she had for years.  Our granddaughter and her friends are in that thing most of the day right now.

I'm good up to the mid 80s, but anything above that is too hot for my tastes.  OTOH, here on the coast it's been cold and windy for most of months, instead of just sometimes.  In part it's because 20 miles inland it's hotter and hotter, which sucks the marine layer in over us.  I'm sick of the cold wind, but guess that's better than 100 degrees! 

Our county had the second driest rain year in recorded history, which is since 1889!  I'm praying that we don't lose more to wildfires this year (knock wood, not tempting fate, etc.).

It looks like Seattle will stay in the 70s and 80s for a while--How strange that those temperatures would be considered a "cool down."

• Like 2

• Members

Here in Florida temperatures have been pretty normal, but we are preparing for our first Tropical Storm of the year. This is very early for a hurricane to have formed.  Elsa has dropped back down to a Tropical Storm, so that is good but it's going to be a long hurricane season having had our first this early in July.

Gail

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members
Markies liz

I have seen wildfires from a distance in CA and it was heartbreaking.  I will pray about it! And hurricanes my goodness! I always thought how scary it would be to have to worry about them.  Prayers to you and your hurricane season as well! Prayers for everyone's weather! May everyone get through the heat of the season and what comes with it safely! Hope you are all well today :)

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, foreverhis said:

It looks like Seattle will stay in the 70s and 80s for a while-

It's in the 90s here with no end in sight.  No more 100s, please!  Worried about wildfires, never used to worry until August!  I will be caring for a friend's dog in mid August, another concern if I have to evacuate (that'd be my luck!).  Hoping the weather/fires cooperate...

• Like 2

• Members

Hubs birthday is Jul 1 and when he was younger he partied for the whole week.  I had a good cry last week a few days before the 1st, missing him.  Got a few calls and texts on the 1st which is so nice and I did fine.  On the 4th I packed up some food and my son and his girlfriend went down to the bay.  We didn't do any work, just enjoyed the lovely weather.  The heat and humidity has returned today and tomorrow and we will get rain from the tropical storm by weeks end.

Here's a couple of pics:

7.4.21 bay2.jpg

7.4.21 bay.jpg

• Like 3

• Members
Markies liz

DMB looks so beautiful and peaceful! Glad you enjoyed your 4th. It was nice of your sons and gf to spend some time with u!  Wisconsin has been so dry we have all been praying for rain. The crops need it.  Corn was way higher than usual tho by the fourth...knee high by the fourth of july lol it was shoulder high by the fourth ...most was anyways 

• Like 1

• Members
April Ballou

Yeah it's the holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries  that are hard.  This month is going to be one of the hardest because the 22nd would have been my husband, Darrells, birthday and the 31st would have been our 39th anniversary.   Not sure how its gonna work out but I know God will help me. I cant believe that tomorrow he will be gone 10 months.  Still struggling with the fact that I will never get to hear his voice, kiss him, hug him, or even laugh at his silly jokes.  Darrell was my first love.  I was 16 when we met 17 when we were married.  Sure we had bad times but there were alot of good times.  So many memories.   Two wonderful children together. God has been and is my strength  and comforter.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

I will be caring for a friend's dog in mid August, another concern if I have to evacuate (that'd be my luck!).  Hoping the weather/fires cooperate...

KayC:  I know a lot of your time is tied up right now getting your sister settled back into her home but, I hope you will have a little time to yourself to jot down a plan for just in case you do have to evacuate...write a list of instructions to yourself. Keep checking the weather and news.