Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Do they show signs they're with us?

Magda

• Members
foreverhis

@Yoli  That is amazing!!!  Indy definitely heard you and helped.  At least, that's my opinion and nothing can change it.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Never had any signs and I'm not saying what is or isn't out there as I'm not qualified and ambivalent about it all, but throwing this out for whatever it's worth: check a book called "Proof of Heaven" by Dr Alexander, a neurosurgeon and atheist...until he had a near-death experience which cannot be easily explained away. It is if nothing else interesting IMO. 

• Like 4

• Members

I've read this book too. It's hard to discount. There are other doctors who have reported that they are certain that consciousness survives death at least for a while. More than that they cannot say. I have thought about it a lot. Mainstream thinking says consciousness is just a brain function but I wonder why it is that whenever I bring to mind a memory, not just those of my husband, but sometimes from my youth before I met him, that I feel it in the pit of my stomach. Why would that be?

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, widower2 said:

check a book called "Proof of Heaven" by Dr Alexander,

widower2:  I looked up the book and read a little on it. It sounds very interesting. Especially coming from a neurosurgeon. Who was an atheist no less? Maybe after I get moved I will be able to order it. The subject fascinates me and has  me wondering, now more than ever.  

• Like 2

• Members

Again I thought I heard my husband out in the living room last night talking on his phone, I was in bed but awake. Just lying there as usual, unable to sleep. It was a quiet voice so I couldn't make out what he was saying and it was very brief. This doesn't scare or upset me but I wish it would stop. 

• Like 1

• Members
1 hour ago, LennyD said:

To me, this is a sign from Lisa that she is with me. It gives me great comfort.

LennyD:  That's good that it brought you some comfort. A little comfort can sure go a long ways. 

• Like 2

• Members

To me, the secret is not to be looking for or expecting a sign. But to be aware that they can occur and to recognize one when it happens.

• Like 3

• Members

@Magda I have had many signs from my husband.  I watched a show about getting signs from our loved ones and in this show they suggested you ask your loved one for a specific sign.  May I suggest you ask for a specific sign from your loved one.  I am sure they will send you this sign and when they do please let us know. 

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, LennyD said:

To me, the secret is not to be looking for or expecting a sign. But to be aware that they can occur and to recognize one when it happens.

I agree.  I haven't looked for or sought out any signs from John.  When they have happened, they catch me off guard, which is probably why I sometimes wonder if it's just wishful thinking.  OTOH, it doesn't matter in the long run because I will continue to believe them as an act of faith that there is something in this vast universe of ours, a grandeur beyond this world, that the something is a wonderful place, and that my John is there (along with our most precious fur babies, Charlie and Penny, and other pets and people who we love).  I may be a rational empiricist who believes in science, but I am also quite spiritual and keep the universal faith John and I shared.  John and I believe that our human minds simply cannot comprehend all the wonders and glories beyond the here and now.

And so, I will continue to accept the grace of signs from my soulmate when they happen.

• Like 4

• Moderators

They have come to me unbidden yet very welcome, usually just when I needed them most!  They brought me calm and peace.

• Like 3

• Members
6 hours ago, Brok said:

I have never received anything remotely resembling a sign. 

Yes me too...maybe 'cos if i see a butterfly flying i don't believe it's a sign from my loved one! Or clouds or dimes...

Maybe 'cos i expect some strong and original sign from him!

He was so creative...

• Like 2

• Moderators

The biggest one I got was when I was going to file social security and that was THIRTEEN YEARS after he died!  I didn't expect it and certainly didn't conjur it up, but it happened when I most needed it (and did NOT expect it!) in my life.

• Like 2

• Members
18 hours ago, LennyD said:

I believe this to be true as well. I have received several huge signs from my husband, but they are fewer now. However, about two weeks ago I was driving to a grocery store and I had NPR on the radio as usual. But I quickly became dismayed by what was being talked about, so I switched to a music station that both my husband and I liked. Just when I was pulling into a parking spot, my husband's all time favorite song came on! I was feeling pretty low that day so the timing was perfect. It may have been a coincidence, but since I RARELY tune in that station, I fully claimed it as a sign.

• Like 3

• Members
18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

John and I believe that our human minds simply cannot comprehend all the wonders and glories beyond the here and now.

foreverhis:  I like how you put that. That's how I feel and you perfectly described it. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
18 hours ago, Brok said:

I have never received anything remotely resembling a sign. 

Brok:  Maybe you won't receive a sign for some time yet to come. Maybe when you least expect it. Or maybe you have received a sign but didn't realize it unless you go back and think about it. Even so, hopefully you find other things and thoughts or memories that can comfort you.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/20/2021 at 12:00 AM, Brok said:

I look for signs and even had a talk about it with my father before he passed away.  I needed a sign badly when my oldest son passed away and still am open to any sign. Now my husband has passed away and I know that if he could he would send a sign because we had many conversations on the subject. I have never received anything remotely resembling a sign. 

It was quite some time before I got any...it was a full year before I even dreamed of him, it's rare and I don't understand why I don't more, we were everything to each other.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 8/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, tnd said:

foreverhis:  I like how you put that. That's how I feel and you perfectly described it. 

When John and I slowly left the traditional religions in which we'd been raised (Episcopal and Methodist-Episcopal), some in our families had a hard time understanding that we weren't leaving our faith.  We simply realized that our faith was stronger when we expanded it to be more all-encompassing.  In a way, our faith could no longer be strong if bound by a single, specific religious belief.  Our daughter and my baby sister ultimately came to feel the same way, so we had lots of talks with them about it. 

I guess you could say that for me that expanding actually started when I was a child.  While we went to church most Sundays, there were also times we didn't.  We might be camping and my dad would take us on a morning walk through the redwoods or along the ocean.  He'd talk to us about the wonders of our world and the universe beyond.  He'd talk about the miracles that we can see every day, if only we look for them.  He'd say that God, in whatever form a person believes, is everywhere, which is part of why it is impossible for our minds to completely define the word faith.  We know, we simply know and we accept our human limitations.

Here's one of my favorite definitions of the difference between religion and faith.  It's from Keeping the Faith and the scene is Father Finn (played by one of my favorites, Edward Norton) talking to his congregation.

"The seven deadly sins. Who can name the seven deadly sins? ... People! It was a very popular film with Brad Pitt, you have the ultimate cliff note. ... The truth is, I don't really learn that much about your faith by asking questions like that because those aren't really questions about faith, those are questions about religion. And it's very important to understand the difference between religion and faith. Because faith is not about having the right answers. Faith is a feeling. Faith is a hunch, really. It's a hunch that there is something bigger connecting it all, connecting us all together. And that feeling, that hunch, is God. And coming here tonight, on your Sunday evening, to connect with that feeling, that is an act of faith. And so all I have to do is look around the room at this packed church to know that we're doing pretty well as a community. ... Even if all of you failed my pop quiz miserably."

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

To me, no church is "perfect" because they're comprised of people and their perspectives.  But I like the sense of extended family/caring that I have attending my regular church.  I realize they are not all the same, nor are they the same from one year to the next.  Sometimes the changes are hard, sometimes welcome.  

But I agree with you about faith, it is so much more than the limitations/confines of church.  When I read "Pathways to the Soul" (an excellent book!) I recognized my "pathway" is nature, very much so.  I also grew up camping and going on walks/hikes with my dad.  My siblings were uninterested, but I was always his first (usually only) volunteer to go with him...he'd point out the wildflowers, their names, special rocks, shells, creatures.  I have so many special memories with him.  The last 44 years I've LIVED in nature, the beautiful tall evergreens, this morning we watched the deer in the back yard, I can hear the water (on my property) rushing from First Creek.  I love it.  It will be hard for me if I ever have to move away...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

I also posted this under "Some Moments Hurt More Than Others" but thought it really ought to go here. 

I don't talk about this because I'm afraid people will think I'm crazy or lying but I have had some "unusual" experiences. Not concerning my husband but rather, people that were important to me that had passed away. 

Many years ago when I was first diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Polymyositis, I was having a bad day getting up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment. I would climb a few steps and then have to sit down and rest. It was agonizing, exhausting and painful. I really did not think I was going to make it all the way up those stairs. Then, as I was resting, I heard a close friend of the family as clear as a bell. He said "Just do it". He said it twice. I was so shocked hearing his voice that I got up and RAN the rest of the way up those stairs! I rushed inside and slammed the door. I was actually a little angry. I was still married to my first husband back then and he gave me this look of "What the heck got into YOU?". Well, the reason why I was a little angry was because this old "close friend of the family" also happened to have been my track coach in high school. And he was always very hard on me. (I use to be a national and state track champion in sprints). So when I had heard his voice in my ear telling me to "Just do it", I got a little angry, saying "Gee whiz! Even from beyond the grave you are still pushing me!" 

Another time I heard someone...Was in the middle of the night and I woke up to a kind of muffled buzzing noise. Then I heard a voice I recognized. It was a man's voice. He sounded frantic and telling me to "Get up, get out! Get up, get out!" Well, there was no fire but the fire alarms on the outside of the apartment building were sounding. I called 911 and firetrucks came and they checked the building out. They found a faulty alarm. The apartment manager had it fixed by the next day. And the voice that told me to "get up and get out"? It was the voice of a close friend of the family who was a firefighter that had passed the year before. 

I have had other very bizarre experiences but will tell of those another time.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
30 minutes ago, John9 said:

Signs I'm not sure I just hope it is her because I really need it to be.

I couldn’t agree more. That’s why I don’t care what anyone else thinks about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@John9 Try asking your wife for a specific sign.  I have found this works as I have tried it.  I asked my husband to send me a sign of an Alfa Romeo Spider convertible but not a red one (as this is too obvious) but an unusual colour. The very next day whilst watching a Dateline show a yellow Alfa Romeo convertible shows up!!!!! I cried because there was my proof.  He hears me and is sending me signs.❤

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

Maybe that is your version of my flowers, and you can keep it with you forever too. I am still looking for anything that she wants to send me. She is probably busy right now with her Mom. I miss my wife so much and now it is really different without MIL here even though she wasn't much in the way of talking, she was here.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

So, yesterday I was cutting the grass and my neighbor came over to talk to me. After we talked for awhile I said to him I don't know how you feel about "signs" or communication from beyond and I told him about the flowers and the Amazon devices and he just gave me the look like I was crazy. I guess that some people don't want to believe but I said I believe it was my wife and nobody will convince me otherwise. MIL's "good" sister said she was talking to her Grandchildren and asked what they believed and none of them did, UNTIL she showed the picture of the flowers AND told them about the devices because when she was over one Sunday around the 7pm reminder I asked her to stay until it happened to prove I wasn't "losing" it and she heard it. After she told her Grandchildren the "facts" they didn't know what to say. I told my son "when" I die I will do everything I can to let him know it is me who is doing whatever I can do to "help" him.

• Like 4