Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my girlfriend to osteosarcoma at age 20

Silviu

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Silviu said:

I wanted to visit her grave everyday for the first 40 days (i think there is a tradition here for family to visit the grave everyday for 40 days, even tho we weren't married i still considered her family)

I hadn't heard of that tradition but it sounds like a good one.  My George's ashes are laid to rest here in our back yard, that's where I'd like mine to be someday, and nearby our pets are laid to rest.  I spent some time clearing the graves this week (no power mowers, etc are allowed because of extreme fire danger) so I used my manual one, it looks so much nicer, I'm glad to have it done.  The last two times the lawn guy didn't do what I'd asked.

Of course you feel like family...family is a position of the heart, not merely what you were born into. 

We do what we need to, whatever brings us comfort...

• Like 3

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I hadn't heard of that tradition but it sounds like a good one.  My George's ashes are laid to rest here in our back yard, that's where I'd like mine to be someday,

Every place has it's own traditions, even in my country different areas have different traditions, it's funny when someone has relatives from different areas and they start arguing which traditions to do especially when they are the exact opposite.

For example cremation isn't very popular here, most people are buried which is nice, having a place to go visit them, but i think cremation is even better, because you can spread the ashes anywhere.

Anyway, i liked visiting her grave, it gave me something to do in those 40 days.

• Like 2

• Members
6 minutes ago, Silviu said:

Anyway, i liked visiting her grave, it gave me something to do in those 40 days.

I like visiting my husband's grave too. It is comforting to be near him. 

Gail

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
13 hours ago, KayC said:

Of course you feel like family...family is a position of the heart, not merely what you were born into. 

Agree with you 100%. 

That's why I sometimes have to explain how it is that I have three sisters:  One by birth, one in-law, and one by-choice.  They are all my sisters and not only that, they are all close with each other as well.  We would do anything for each other.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
11 hours ago, foreverhis said:

One by birth, one in-law, and one by-choice

This sounds soo sweet :wub: i also like to say that Gabi is my girlfriend from heaven.

Today was ok, at least not as bad as i expected, the memorial was sad, but after that we went to a restaurant and it was nice to spend time with her family and friends. Her mother gave me a nice picture with us. Last year on halloween Gabi gave me a picture frame with the text LOVE above it, so i could put 2 pictures with us, the first picture i put was from a vacation to the mountains we had in december last year, but the other spot remained empty, because i was waiting for a good moment, my plan was to fill that spot with a picture from this summer vacations but since it didn't happened that spot remained empty, so today i filled it with the picture her mother gave me, it was form february this year when we wet skiing, the last happy moment we shared together, so it was a really good choice to fill that spot.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 7/16/2021 at 7:19 AM, Gail 8588 said:

I like visiting my husband's grave too. It is comforting to be near him. 

That's how I feel about where my husband's ashes are laid to rest.  And I like that they're here where he loved most, where I can look out on the back yard throughout the day.  We often sat on our porch swing and looked out at that very place, it was peaceful, I knew it's where he'd want to be, watching the hummingbirds come feed as we always did.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
10 hours ago, Silviu said:

so today i filled it with the picture her mother gave me

Silviu:  Keeping pictures and putting them in a frame like you did sounds like a very good idea. I think pictures tell a story. They may not tell the whole story but that's the part where you come in and you can tell people the story of you and Gabi and the things you did together. I am definitely keeping pictures of my husband. He's smiling in almost all of them and that memory makes me feel good. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I am so sorry, we seem to relive all of this time like it haunts us, no part of it forgotten, every detail etched into us.

• Hugs 1

• Members

Silviu,

Your story is heartbreaking. I am so sorry you and Gabi didn't have years, decades to be together.  I am glad you were together for the time you did have. 

I am thinking of you as you mark the one year  point.  

Hugs

Gail

• Like 4

• Members
2 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am glad you were together for the time you did have.

Me too, even though we didn't have much time, i learned alot from this relationship, and we both evolved together, it was a nice journey, short but nice, we both started as 2 shy people and we learned together and from eachother. Many times she told me that her friends and family said that she is more open since she met me, and i've been told the same about me.

I am a different person then i was in October 2019 before i met her, she showed me how to live. Before i met her i was just waiting for the time to pass i didn't like people or social interactions. If someone invited me to go somewhere i would just refuse  and everything i learned from her will help me in the future.

2 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

I am thinking of you as you mark the one year  point.

Thank you Gail.

I'm very determined to have a great life in her honor, because otherwise everything she taught me would be in vain. And i'm the type of person that always achieves everything he sets his mind to, of course, that's paired with my incredible lack of motivation so i don't set my mind on something too often :biggrin2:, but this time not failing her is a great motivation for me.

I'm glad she was my girlfriend, best thing that ever happened to me was meeting her and losing her was the worst thing...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Silviu said:

I don't have any regrets, and I think I managed to make her life a bit better by being in it.

II agree, and who among us wouldn't have made the same decision?!  When our hearts are with them, it cannot be uprooted or ignored.

2 minutes ago, Silviu said:

I'm very determined to have a great life in her honor, because otherwise everything she taught me would be in vain.

And in so doing you ascribe value to your relationship.  :wub:

• Like 3

• Members

I just had a breakdown and started crying, today i started saving her photos from her google photos account, it was very emotional seeing all the happy moments we shared together, and glimpse at her life before we met (i only reached 5'th September 2018 but i had to take a break).

She found a website who sold bracelets with messages on the inside, and she bought 4, she gave me one, and the other 3 were for her, she opened mine and added a sticker with the message "radiate positivity" and then she also opened one of the other 3 leaving the other 2 unopened, after she died i gave the other 2 to her 2 best friends. 

She liked to wear bracelets, but only when she went outside, she didn't wear them inside, but when i came to her house to spend the last moments with her she had her bracelet on her arm, and her parents told me that since she got it she didn't take it off. We buried her with that bracelet on her arm, i didn't think much about it, i was in too much shock to think.

Today when i was looking through the pictures i found a picture with that bracelet, so i decided to go on that website and see what message was on the inside and on the card

This is the message on the inside

8862adba-1c30-43fd-814a-704940255ac5.jpg.1b3bba5e0d912e6dd89f0036a0bd6a7a.jpg

and this is the message from the card

29a13fc3-9d6d-4c54-87d2-213549e77042.jpg.88eda06d1326d517401f84d10241d931.jpg

When i read those messages i was instantly overwhelmed with emotion and started crying, and i still have tears in my eyes and i can't stop

Those are the messages on my bracelet

cb3cf22e-0f78-4d47-b7f7-b23a186da8e9.jpg.5c8e3f095cea399bd945d026f7d66799.jpg

Also those are under my monitor, i've put the sticker with radiate positivity to remember how she wanted me to be

4875e9b8-6027-41e9-bdf8-53f9e4c0d71a.jpg.848ad03a4fcc97eea5c0ce06dd16c2b5.jpg

Before i met her i didn't wear any accesories, had no pictures in my room, no decorations, i didn't even have a keychain on my keys, and she slowly started to bring color in my life, she never missed an occasion to give me something to brighten my life, all the decorations i have in my room are from her and she also liked to take instant photos of us and displayed them in her room, her room was incredibly beautiful with lots of decorations and photos, she even put a photo of us in the case of her phone so she would have it in the hospital.

On our last date she wanted to take lots of instant photos, she even got some special filters (the one from under my monitor was in the shape of a heart, the red in he margins its from the filter), i usually let her have those photos because i knew she liked them, but that time she insisted that we take two of each so both of us have one, and i put one under my monitor and one in my wallet.

What's for sure she knew how to make me happy and brought color in my life, i'm going to miss her sooo much :sad: but i'll try to stay positive and remember the bigger picture just like she wanted me to.

Ok it's time to wipe my tears and watch a movie to escape reality, because it's way to sad and i can't stop crying.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Silviu,

This is so hard.  Crying is of course a very appropriate response, but like you I could only do this sort of work in small portions.  Watch a movie, go for a walk, come back to the pictures another day.  Little by little you will get through this chore. 

I am so sorry you and Gabi did not have more time. 

Gail

• Like 2

• Members

Thank you Gail, i'm trying to save them as soon as possible because i feel that it becomes harder and harder to watch them, especially the photos from before we met, she had so many great memories that i missed, only if we met 1 or 2 years earlier.... So i'm trying to get this done as soon as possible, also i cant save them in bulk (no idea why), so i have to open each one and save it manually, which takes a while.

Also i found something interesting, when she died she was wearing a pink shirt backwards, because she had some burn marks due to radiotherapy and she couldn't wear something on her back because it was hurting, anyway i have found this picture with the exact same shirt from 19 May 2018:

IMG-20180519-WA0047.jpg.510dba53d647106ae59b1bae0787f628.jpg

Now i know how my angel looks like

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Thank you for sharing the bracelets/messages with us.  You had a very special lady, but then you know that.  I am unable to view the picture you shared.

• Members
23 minutes ago, KayC said:

I am unable to view the picture you shared.

hmm... are you using internet explorer or microsoft edge ? I just tried with all the browsers i have and only those 2 don't show the image properly, with google chrome works fine

Today i continued saving her photos, and it gets harder and harder, i'm not sure if it's because i've seen soo many, or if it's because they are from before we met. I'm filled with anger and sadness, each time i see a photo of her from a vacation she had, i'm just filled with jealousy, for not being there with her, i keep having thoughts like: if we would have met 1 or 2 years sooner i would have been there with her sharing those beautiful moments.

And i'm angry at life, since we met there was always something standing between us, we had lots of plans, but we didn't even get to do 10% in summer last year we planned 2 vacations together, we couldn't go because as soon as she finished her semester at university she got diagnosed with cancer, if the cancer would have came 2 months later we would have had a great summer, this summer we planned to go in 2 long vacations and a short one, if she would have survived a bit longer. Meanwhile if we would have met 2-3 months earlier we would have been able to go in 2 vacations in 2019, they where amazing, i wish i was there with her.

It's weird, i want to have all the photos with her that exist, but i don't want to look at them because it's too sad, i just want to have them.

I was doing ok, but since i started saving her photos i'm constantly crying, and i try to finish as soon as possible because i feel that the longer i wait the harder it will be.

Today found a photo from may 2017 when she moved in her house and she took a photo of her empty room, and that hit me hard, it's like someone deleted her existence from the world, even though that was an old photo, i feel that someday her room will be again empty, or completely changed.

The pictures since she met me aren't that hard to watch, they bring up nice memories, but those before, are hard to watch without thinking "look at what i've missed" , i don't know why i'm thinking this

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I have Windows 7 and use Chrome.  I tried Mozilla Firefox too, same thing.

This is what it shows:

blank.JPG

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

I have Windows 7 and use Chrome.  I tried Mozilla Firefox too, same thing.

This is what it shows:

blank.JPG

can you see it now ? i think the problem was that i pasted the image directly into the post not actually uploading it and inserting into the post, also here is an imgur link to the photo https://i.imgur.com/UkSwkDB.jpg

IMG-20180519-WA0047.jpg.ecbd980224608f84522cafc4399c81b2.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

That is an amazing photo.  You do have a picture of your angel!

Gail 

• Like 3

• Members

That is a pretty neat picture of her. I would love to find angel wings somewhere so I could take pictures. Sometimes I think I see angel wings or angels in pictures of things or in patterns on fabric or flooring or the paint texture on walls.   

• Like 2

• Members
21 hours ago, tnd said:

I would love to find angel wings somewhere so I could take pictures.

@tnd I'm not sure exactly where it was taken, because we didn't know eachother back then, but i think it was at the 2018 Comic Con convention in Bucharest, because it was between other photos she took there. 

Anyway you made me curious where i could find some angel wings graffiti so i did a little digging and i've found something very interesting that i think you might like, this website shows you where you can find angel wings https://globalangelwingsproject.com/home

They are all over the world, but since most of you are in the US here is the US map, you can also find the full map on that website

616810228_angelwings.JPG.f4890ddf02f9b78e247e6ff8d25752c3.JPG

You have your location set to TX i guess it means Texas, so the closest one from you should be in Houston
TeXAS WITH ARTS BROOKFIELD
address
500 Dallas St, Houston, TX 77002

• Like 1

• Members
3 hours ago, Silviu said:

They are all over the world, but since most of you are in the US here is the US map, you can also find the full map on that website

Thank you for that link to Angel Wings in the USA, Silviu!  Kind of neat to think about it...the picture of Gabi made us think of angel wings and look what became of it. A map! All because you showed us her picture! That was really nice of you. I think it was meant to be shared. 

• Like 2

• Members

I checked the map. There are a couple of places that won't be too far from where I will be living. Might make for a nice little trip and to take pictures with the angel wings. 

• Like 1

• Members
10 hours ago, tnd said:

Thank you for that link to Angel Wings in the USA, Silviu!  Kind of neat to think about it...the picture of Gabi made us think of angel wings and look what became of it. A map! All because you showed us her picture! That was really nice of you. I think it was meant to be shared. 

You're welcome, that's a nice way to think about it, nothing in life is random, it's interesting to think how many things have to align for something to happen, and how many small decisions influence big ones.

For example in order to meet Gabi at least 4 things had to align,

1. her mother and my father were colleagues  at work, i'm not even going to think how many decisions brought them at the same job but i'll count this as 1,

2. then one day i went to my fathers workplace to give him a ride home, and her mother saw me, liked me and told my father she wants me to meet her daughter, if I hadn't gone to his workplace her mother wouldn't have known me, and that's not something i usually do, i haven't been there in 2 years. Also at that time i was working in another city, so the chances of me being in my homecity at that time were small.

3. At the same time my aunt told me about a girl that she wanted me too meet, the funny thing was that her name was Gabi too, she was 24 years old and my Gabi was 19 at that time, and i was 25, so i wanted to try a date with the other one since we were closer in age, even though i didn't like that girl (she was smoking and for me its kind of a dealbreaker), i mostly wanted to get some dating experience because i didn't care if it doesn't work, since i didn't like her that much, i even asked her out 3 times but she found excuses not to go, so i gave up, if she would have said yes who knows what would have happened. When i asked my Gabi out she immediately said yes, she was very happy that i asked her out (i was the first guy to ask her out), i could tell from her voice how excited she was, even though she had classes, she still accepted to grab a drink together and meet, she later told me that she was busy with classes that day, but didn't want to refuse me because she was afraid i might not ask her again and she really wanted to meet.

4. The timing, basically i only had 1 week at my disposal to meet her, too soon and we would have both been too busy to meet (i was in Italy for a month, she then went to Austria for 2 weeks), too late and she would have been too busy with med school. Probably we would have still met, but who knows.. we still managed to see eachother, even though we were busy, but we had to put a lot of effort to make time and i'm not sure how it would have worked for a first date

• Like 3