Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A year ago today...

Darlene13

• Members

Darlene, 

Wedding anniversaries are one of the tough days.  So many happy memories that now just seem to magnify our loss.  My husband and I were married for 38 years. I try to focus how lucky we were to be together that long, but it never feels long enough. 

Grieving during the pandemic has been really tough, as we have had to be so isolated.  I hope in the coming year you will be able to find some connections to life that are fulfilling. My 2 adult sons are busy with their own lives also, understandably.  So I have had to find things to keep me engaged in life.  It is very hard to transition to this new single life after being a couple for so long. 

Hugs,

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

It is very hard to transition to this new single life after being a couple for so long. 

@Gail 8588It really is.  Thanks so much for your words of encouragement.  Today was tough...hopefully it will be easier with each year that goes by.  Some days it's just harder to see the way forward to a time when life might be happier again, and today was definitely one of those. 

Hugs to you too..

• Like 2

• Members

I still have to go through our wedding anniversary which is in September and I think other than the day she passed away, the anniversary will be very tough. She was in the hospital last September during our anniversary.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Sparky, 

I am so sorry for the pain you are in.  The year of first time events is really hard.  I wish there was some way to make it easier. 

Hang in there. 

Hugs

Gail

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, Darlene13 said:

A year ago today, my husband and I were at Red Lobster celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, completely unaware that we would only have one month left together. 

So very sorry for your loss, Darlene13.  Not that I think the amount of time people had with their loved ones determines how much or for how long we will be in this pain and grieve, but I imagine after spending 30 years with someone it could take a while before it starts to ease up. I hope that you will find each day that you are able to get through as a step forward. I have no idea how we are suppose to heal from this wound. For me it is going to leave a scar of sorts.  

• Like 4

• Members
58 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

Sparky, 

I am so sorry for the pain you are in.  The year of first time events is really hard.  I wish there was some way to make it easier. 

Hang in there. 

Hugs

Gail

Thanks Gail. Life sure hasn't been easy for me the last 8 months. I feel so lost and the longing for my wife gives me a knot in my throat. Thanks for your advice, I struggle on and try to make the best of it. Hugs to you too.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
17 minutes ago, tnd said:

I hope that you will find each day that you are able to get through as a step forward. I have no idea how we are suppose to heal from this wound. For me it is going to leave a scar of sorts.  

Thanks so much for your kind words. I don't know how we're supposed to heal either.  I just keep numbly walking forward one day at a time so far.  I hope we all find peace and some semblance of happiness in time.

Hugs to you...

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

@Kay CI know what you mean.  Everyone is eager for us to get over it and move on, and it just doesn't work that way.  I agree that it helps to build other things into the day to keep from dwelling on it constantly.  My sister remembered but I'm not sure anyone else did...if they did, they thought it was better not to mention it.  My sister's husband died 2 mos after mine so she knows not mentioning it doesn't make the pain any less present.  None of my friends are widowed, so my she's about the only one in my life who understands.

I'm sorry the anniversary for you falls around two holidays.  It's hard when others are celebrating and you're feeling blue.  God bless you for making the effort to reach out to all of us with support and advice when you're carrying so much heartache and sadness yourself.  I still keep your tips for handling grief in my phone that you gave me when I first joined and they've been a help to me.  You're a good person, and I'm sorry that we find ourselves together on this journey through deep grief.  Hugs to you...

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I guess in a way I've already experienced my "firsts" without my husband. He was in the hospital over Christmas and New Years, still hospitalized on my birthday and our anniversary and then his own birthday. We never really made a big deal over these special days, just usually shared some small quiet enjoyment between ourselves. So I wasn't torn up about not celebrating anything this past year but rather, I felt bad that he was stuck and very sick in the hospital. With him gone I don't know how I will feel next year, tho. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Thank you, Darlene.

tnd, yes, for you, you've already begun your year of "firsts without," before he even passed.  :wub:

20 hours ago, Darlene13 said:

I agree that it helps to build other things into the day to keep from dwelling on it constantly. 

This statement reminded me of this article...I never had to set aside a time to mourn as it came to me unbidden, for me I needed the distraction of work, but having that long commute (100 miles/day) gave me too much time to think.  Sometimes I had to pull off the highway to safely cry, I didn't want to kill someone because of it.

Dosing Crying Time in Grief

• Like 2

• Members
5 hours ago, Darlene13 said:

maybe we'd have said more, done more while there was still time.

Darlene, this also haunts me as well. I wish that we had done more things, but my wife and I didn't expect for her to pass away so suddenly. There's a lot of what ifs, but we can't look back knowing what we know now. All I know is that life is unpredictable, and when you lose the love of your life, it is also very painful and unfair.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2