Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How Do You Deal With Moving In w/Family Now?

tnd

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

tnd   — I totally understand your distress at this time and my heart goes out to you.  I know how much you love those cats!  Do you have cages for them both?  often there are animal shelters who can take cats, temporarily while they move (esp for older folks in your situation).   DO try EVERY contact you can!   Don’t let them go!  You deserve to keep what you love!  

• Like 4

• Members
1 hour ago, tnd said:

. . .  I'll just have to take my chances at the shelter now. 

Tnd, 

I am so sorry things went so badly with your SIL and brother. 

I have never been in your situation, so I really don't know any helpful tips.  I have read in the news lately that the CDC extended the prohibition on evictions until late September, I believe.  So it may be that you would be able to stay in your apartment through the end of September at least, even if you are not able to pay the rent.  It may be good that Salvation Army didn't take your furniture, so you can be comfortable in your apartment until you have to go. 

You might want to reach out to some local churches for guidance on where to turn to for assistance.  They get requests for help all year long and usually know what agencies or non-profits are active locally to help people. 

I am so sorry.

Gail 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

So sorry that the things goes so bad...! Hope you find a way to stay with your cats...some house-family...i don't know if they esist in USA...here in Italy sometimes this places are the solution for people in troubles....a big big hug tnt! Take care of yourself

• Like 3

• Members
Diane R. E.
2 hours ago, foreverhis said:

have you thought about setting up a GoFundMe campaign to help you transition? 

I was thinking that too - I would certainly contribute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
23 hours ago, tnd said:

I know all this sounds crazy or that I am crazy. I know some of you will say that I just need to hang in there and move with my brother

Nope.  Make that "Hell no!"  You are absolutely right and they are absolutely toxic.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

13 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Nope.  Make that "Hell no!"  You are absolutely right and they are absolutely toxic.

I agree with the other postings and I had posted yesterday and again it seems to be missing. I had said that I would also contribute if you did a GoFundMe and I also say that to move in with your Family in a toxic situation would not be good and if things fell apart you would be in an unfamiliar area with no "help". I hope that the resources listed on other posts can help you and will get the help you need. It is too much at the most stressful time in your life and when you need the support from Family and friends they fail you. I hope for the best for you and your "feline family" and hope that you can stay together.

• Like 3

• Members

Gail 8588,

10 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Perhaps your brother does not feel married to his soulmate, but rather trapped in a relationship he would rather not be in.  Perhaps that is why he seems to have no understanding of your loss.  But that doesn't excuse his lack of compassion for you. 

I agree that tnd's brother doesn't seem to be a person who is connected to a soulmate and will never understand it even if his wife were to die, sad maybe but not like "we" are. I don't claim to be an expert on anything but from what has been said that is my thoughts on it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 8/7/2021 at 5:22 PM, tnd said:

The things my SIL and brother said to me was THAT BAD. I don't need this -not from them or from anyone. I'll just have to take my chances at the shelter now.

I could not take that either.  I pray something opens up for you SOON!  I can't believe Salvation Army refused to help.  Police are no help unless someone is threatening to kill someone and then they don't always do the right thing.

I hope and pray something/someone comes to your aid SOON!  Sending you much hugs from OR.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, tnd said:

Diane R.E.:  Thank you for the support. And for the info. I am looking into a shelter that depending on if I meet the criteria, they can maybe help with my medical needs and get me into some sort of housing. Initially I may have to briefly stay in their main shelter with shared sleeping spaces and communal bathrooms but they have a limited number of kennels for pets. I pray, pray, pray they can help me. As for a home healthcare nurse, they might be able to offer that once I am in housing. I am so wore out, now I have more work to do.   

I hope for this for you as well.

17 hours ago, foreverhis said:

our local Senior/Social Services department should be able to set you up with an adult social worker, one assigned specifically to you, who can help you navigate the complicated process of applying for various programs. 

My sister called them a few days ago, never got a call back.

I agree with the others here that you should not submit yourself to abuse, and they qualify as that.  Keeping making calls, and if you do start a GoFundMe, please give us the link here, okay?  I don't know if it's within their rules, but we won't tell...

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

I was wondering about the "rules" too in regards to GoFundMe as well as whether it could affect her "benefits" but I would try to help if I can.

• Like 3

• Members

My brother called Adult Protective Services and they were just here. They said the shelter is full and no housing available. They said that despite my brother and SIL, I should call them to come pack me up and take me to live with them. She also said my brother could pay (because they are not free) for Hospice and I can go to Hospice to remove my oxygen and they will help me die. Otherwise, I will literally have to be on the streets. Those are my choices.

I emailed my brother and told him what I was just told today. I also told him that I will not live with him and my SIL talking to me like they did and that they clearly are not capable of understanding what I am going through (altho I've explained a million times...my illness and grief). I also told him that since I am to be gone out of the apartment by Aug 30th that by then no one will have to deal with me anymore. 

Please, I thank everyone here for the moral support but please DO NOT setup a GoFundMe. I wouldn't think this would be allowed on this site even talking about it for legal reasons, otherwise you'd have millions of people getting on here setting up their own GFM requests and begging for money and a lot of scammers pretending to need help. So while I appreciate the moral support and love I am getting from all of you, please don't even discuss that anymore on here....don't want to get in trouble and don't want any of you getting in to trouble. Thank you. 

I will try to come back on here later maybe tonite. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

tnd,

I understand and respect your wishes in regards to the previous matter. I also thought along those lines and was worried about that as well. I hope that there are still other options for you besides your Brother and SIL or street or Hospice because that sounds kind of blunt and unprofessional. I can't stop thinking about your situation and how "wrong" it is again at the worst time of your life.

• Like 3

• Members
7 hours ago, John9 said:

KayC,

I was wondering about the "rules" too in regards to GoFundMe as well as whether it could affect her "benefits" but I would try to help if I can.

I was hoping that requesting a message, instead of direct posting in a thread, might be okay here.

I hadn't really considered the benefits issue, but I imagine the GFM would have to be a pretty significant amount to affect them.  I know it wouldn't affect the SSA Surviving Spouse benefit as that's based on the SSA earnings formulas without regard to assets of any kind.  I suppose it could affect SSI add-on benefits for a time, again that's if the GFM amount was more than the "asset" limit--and I'm not even sure if that counts.

Either way, if the GFM funds are used before benefits begin, I can't imagine it would affect them going forward.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
19 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Perhaps your brother does not feel married to his soulmate, but rather trapped in a relationship he would rather not be in.  Perhaps that is why he seems to have no understanding of your loss.  But that doesn't excuse his lack of compassion for you. 

Gail 8588:  You could very well be right about my brother being in a marriage he regrets. I had an uncle (may he rip) tell me years ago that my brother confided in him about how their marriage stank and he was doing all he could to hang on to it for the children's sake but also, he didn't want to get soaked. They got married less than 2 years after his first wife divorced him. When he first met his current wife, he told me their first date was terrible because she was so rude. But then he called her 2 weeks later to ask for a second date. I remember him telling me that he wasn't sure if he should have done that. But then they married and had 2 children. He makes good money. I have suspected that he is still afraid that she'd soak him in a divorce. And she probably would. Anyways, lately I have gotten the feeling that they don't talk face-to-face with each other, only by text or phone. Something weird going on but I don't know. But yes, that could be why he lacks compassion for me.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
8 hours ago, John9 said:

It is too much at the most stressful time in your life and when you need the support from Family and friends they fail you. I hope for the best for you and your "feline family" and hope that you can stay together.

John9:  Thank you for your offer to help me and the moral support. That means a lot to me to have an online friend be so supportive. And we've never met in-person and yet, everyone on here seems to understand what we each need right now  -moral support, consoling, patience and an understanding. You are a heck of a man going through all that you are while also taking care of your MIL. That says so much about the kind of person you are and your character. I feel so bad that you are grieving the loss of your wife and with it, the only life you had for so many years. That is a huge loss. But to come on here while you are suffering and offer me so much support and kinds words is well, just so much. It does offer me some comfort and kept me going today. Thank you so very very much. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
32 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Either way, if the GFM funds are used before benefits begin, I can't imagine it would affect them going forward.

foreverhis:  Believe it or not, I can't remember if it was Medicaid or Social Security Admin but they did ask if I had a GFM account because yes, those funds could be counted against me. An applicant cannot have more than $2k in assets, including money in a GFM or bank account, cannot own a car and cannot be receiving any other financial assistance. I cannot even be declared a dependent on someone else's tax return. I can be given free room and board (food) but no money. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Members

I'm going to talk about karma here. I'm a firm believer in "what comes around goes around". Only because I've seen it happen so many times. I have seen people behave badly or even treat other people badly and some time goes by, sometimes not long, when the "offender" experiences a bad time or something bad happens to THEM. My brother and SIL had helped me for a while when my husband was in the hospital and now they have cut me off because I got upset with my SIL. But it's like extortion. They say if I apologize they will help me but otherwise, no medicine, no food, etc....So they are basically holding my life in the balance of their hands, as if to play God and holding critical needs I have hostage. My brother said I need to get over my pride and apologize. Excuse me, since when does being ill and grieving have anything to do with pride?? That didn't even make sense. This is not some game I am playing. It has nothing to do with my pride. I have a serious illness and also grieving my husband. My being in a "bad mood" or appearing "unstable" should be expected. But no, they think that I had my feelings hurt and that because of that, I don't want to be with them. Well, this is about way more than feelings. I not only feel hurt but feel abused and scared -by their words, their actions and their home, which I think could be unsafe, let alone filthy and miserable. Why the heck would I want to live with people who "cut me off" if I make them mad? Face it, I'm not perfect but especially right now. Would they withhold food and meds from me like they are now?? Would they shove me in a room as punishment and tie me up? What the heck could I be walking into? And what if a paramedic can't get indoors if I need them because of a hoarding situation? Well, here comes the karma...

I could only leave a voicemail but I called the local Fire Chief today where my brother lives and explained who I am and their hoarding situation. I asked if he could perform an inspection of the house and to call me back. Because of the time zone difference it was late in the day there but we'll see if the Chief calls me back tomorrow. I hope he or someone can pay my brother and SIL a visit. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

My wife and I wanted to believe in Karma, but too many times we saw bad things done by people who it would seem that they were rewarded and then we would look at each other like WTF.  We didn't do "good" for good Karma but we didn't do good to be "punished" either and I know others have stated they didn't feel punished but that is how I feel after what I am going through. I don't know what might happen in regards to your phone call but as I said I wouldn't recommend moving in with them because what if they threw you out or threatened to if you don't "agree" to....

• Like 4

• Members
2 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

I'm actually quite appalled that social services would basically give you that as your only other option.

foreverhis:  I was surprised too. I guess there are just too many homeless people these days and when she saw me with the oxygen, maybe I was an easy target for her to suggest hospice. I guess if I wasn't ill and didn't need to be on oxygen I would go to the streets and figure it out from there. I have a small portable oxygen concentrator (the Inogen G3) but the with the setting I have to use it only lasts about 2.5-3 hours. And I'm unable to walk very far, maybe about 30-50 feet. I'd get outside on the street and end up baking in 100 degree weather -a slow and painful death. Otherwise I'd give the street a go. I'm not brave enough to die a painful death. Hospice would be better. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
2 hours ago, John9 said:

as I said I wouldn't recommend moving in with them because what if they threw you out or threatened to if you don't "agree" to....

John9:  Exactly!  The lady with APS just ignored that when I brought that up. She didn't even seem concerned about the hoarding situation. Maybe she is so overworked dealing with homeless people that she's now numb and burnt out. Basically no longer proficient at her job. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@tnd

I have just had a "fun" weekend shredding documents ready for my move. Whilst sorting through Social Security information I came across a note that said. 'Other help for seniors'. Maybe you have already tried this but it referred to the Eldercare Locator service. I looked it up and apparently they sort of coordinate the different resources available. Of course it is different for each area but it sounds like it was made with you in mind.

I hope this might help.

Eldercare.acl.gov

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
7 hours ago, LMR said:

I hope this might help.

Eldercare.acl.gov

LMR:  Thank you very much for that! I've begun looking at their website and will start trying to contact them later today (it's only 5am right now). More work to do...

Meanwhile, I've come up with a plan. I almost hesitate to post it because it's a bit of a downer. But after thinking about it, I actually felt a sense of relief and a bit of peace of mind. This is my plan and my plan only and not one that anyone else can interfere with. 

If I'm not able to secure some sort of help before the end of the month, this is my plan. I told my apartment manager that I would be out on/before Aug 30th. She has been very kind to me so I want to keep my word with her and besides, they've already rented out my apt to someone else for mid-September. I can't afford to stay anyways, no money. So...if I can't secure help before the end of the month, then a couple of days before the 30th I will fill my cats bowls with food and water and leave a note asking that they be taken to the no-kill shelter. As for myself, I will turn off my oxygen. It should only take a couple of hours or less for me to "pass". It will be a relatively painless death. Without supplemental oxygen, my O2 level drops rapidly. When it did that when I was in the hospital for a bronchoscopy, it dropped to 40 and I went into full respiratory arrest and they had to intubate me and place me on a ventilator until I could breath on my own again with the help of supplemental oxygen but no ventilator. I am going to do this just a couple days before the end of the month because when the apt. manager realizes that I haven't turned in the keys, she will undoubtedly come to check the apartment. Unfortunately she will find my body (which I do feel about that) but being that I would be laying there for only a day or so with the A/C on, there should not be a smell or much of one. And she will see the note concerning what to do with my cats. She is a huge animal lover herself so I know she will honor my last wishes for them.

I don't want to do this any earlier than the end of the month because my body would stink up the place and my cats would probably starve to death. Because my brother has cut me off, I am already rationing food for myself and my cats. Gotta make it til the end of the month. I don't want them to suffer, I want to give them a chance to live and be adopted. For anyone reading this, I reiterate that this is my plan IF I am unable to secure some sort of help with food, meds and housing before the end of the month. I am not suicidal. But if I have to enact my plan, I am not afraid of death and, dying from hypoxia is relatively painless. Ask a doctor or anesthesiologist and they will tell you. I know this sounds terrible and it is. I acknowledge that. But it's better than dying on the street or being abused by family or dying in pain. It is going to be alright. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
  • Hugs 1

• Members

@tnd  I am so sorry. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be out of options and your loss is so recent and raw. I do hope you will find the help you need.

Hugs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

tnd,

I am so sorry that you even "have" to think about doing this, this is where the entire Social System is failing people who are in situations through no fault of their own. I said before that some people probably should not have the jobs they have because they have no empathy for anyone. This is not right and there should be "some" organization out there that can understand your situation and how critical and urgent it is. I guess that again because it doesn't affect "them" they don't understand.

• Like 3

• Members

@tnd I hope you find the help you need too.  I wish I knew more about what resources might be available.  When I google aid for disabled widows, HUD and Social Security seem to be the main options.  I'll keep looking...hang in there.  Praying for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC,

I was thinking the same about the state of "everything" and it fits into my mindset too. I would also hope that some group out there is helping people in just this type of situation. Nobody deserves to be in this state of mind on top of everything else and sadness and grief will not help the thoughts running through the mind. It sucks that available help is not "allowed" because it is against the "rules" to just get to the next stage, if that makes sense. You need help but if you get help then help isn't available because you need help. The worst catch-22 in the US. Broken system if ever there was one.

• Like 3

• Members

tnd; my heart breaks for you. I pray you don't have to follow through with your plan if you can't find a shelter. Shame on our society that you even have to consider this. I cannot believe that the social worker for APS treated you like that - she isn't even going to get you a case manager??? 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
11 hours ago, John9 said:

the entire Social System is failing people who are in situations through no fault of their own.

John9:  What does make me a little upset is that I happen to be in a large city where there are way way too many homeless. And in just the last several weeks, literally hundreds maybe a couple thousand now, immigrants have been brought here and charities are housing them. They are being provided Covid testing, Covid vaccines, food, shelter and medical care. While I don't wish anyone harm and certainly do not think my life is more valuable than theirs, I can't help but think that this has put a great strain on the city's resources. I mean, we are bulging at the seams with homeless and now, immigrants and I'm being told there is no help available for me. Kind of a slap in the face but that is why I came up with my own plan now. And it is providing me a little relief knowing that I can do it.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
1 hour ago, Diane R. E. said:

I cannot believe that the social worker for APS treated you like that - she isn't even going to get you a case manager??? 

Diane R.E.:  She left her card and her job title is "specialist" and no, she isn't going to get me a case manager or even do an intake procedure. There is nowhere they can put me. Maybe being on supplemental oxygen is a blessing in disguise because it can be removed without a nurse or doctor. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Members

tnd,

I am wondering if the area you are in has the local news station who does stories of Human interest that you could explain the problem and maybe they could reach out to an organization through their connections. I am just grasping at straws to keep you from having to fulfill the final act if you can't find the help you need and deserve. We all know that things aren't fair (don't like the F word) but the facts are that people will always fall through the cracks because like you said right now the area is concentrating on a big picture not on "you" or other homeless people. Sadly when you say homeless people don't fully grasp "why" some are homeless, it isn't always a choice they made and it isn't always drugs or alcohol either it is sometimes just bad luck or timing and lack of compassion.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I feel like Will Smith in that movie "In The Pursuit Of Happyness"   (that's how the title is spelled). I just hope I have a good ending like the movie did but I am really doubting it. Weeks before passing my husband said he felt like Job from The Book of Job. That of course, was way worse than what I am going through but still, I am hurt and in shock at how my life is going right now. But maybe the silver lining will be that I will be rejoined with my husband sooner than I thought. So if all else fails, there is that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I wish we weren't in the middle of fires/evacuation, you'd find support in our community

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Annie and Gail are both a wealth of knowledge, thank you for that.  Praying continually, tnd.:wub:

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2