Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How Do You Deal With Moving In w/Family Now?

tnd

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnd

• John9

• KayC

• Gail 8588

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

foreverhis,

I agree that basically you don't know who will be in your life or why. I "worked" for my friend who died in January at first and had met him at first through a friend of mine who I met through someone else. After being around my "boss" he and I became friends and when he closed the business he had, we continued to talk on the phone. When he had his medical issues before and after closing the business I was the "only" one who cared about him and accepted the responsibility to make sure he was cared for. I am sure some would say it was for "financial" reasons but what he had when he died could not and will not ever compensate for the amount of stress and grief he "put" me and my wife through but I couldn't abandon him either and even though it wasn't the same with MIL it is the same at the same time. The reason you do what you do is what makes you the person you are and if you are a caring person you can't accept that someone has to go through these things alone and helpless. I am not saying any of this to receive credit or praise I am just stating "facts" about me and my wife and what made or makes us who we are or were. I miss the support she always gave me when I was doing what I was doing and of course everything else about her but the support was unconditional without question even when it affected us. She knew that if I didn't do it, it wouldn't get done and the outcome would have been terrible for him/them. I can only hope that for tnd all works and works as it should so she has a "better" life and continue to do good "work". I can only do what I can until God says okay you fulfilled your purpose and now you can go. I don't know what that is as none of us do but.....

• Like 1

• Members
21 hours ago, KayC said:

I can't help but dream how wonderful it'd be if your pension came in and you got one of those lottery/approvals for housing! 

KayC:  The only problem with that lottery is that it merely puts you on a shorter waiting list of 2.50 years. Right now, the wait time is 5-6 years. I am hoping I will be able to afford something on my own with my Widows Benefits and move A LOT sooner. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 9/7/2021 at 3:20 PM, tnd said:

Yes, you've left the house but going out to deal with your MIL's probate and your friends estate and to plan a funeral doesn't count. hee, hee...sorry. At some point you might try a short outing JUST for yourself.

tnd,

I understand the comment and I am trying, but still have things to do also and today I went to MIL credit union and what a waste of time that was and totally my own fault. I "forgot" there was an outstanding check and drove 40 miles one way to close account that I couldn't close because......Now I have to wait until check clears and because I messed up the online part is now closed and I can't just check, once again makes my head want to explode. From the beginning it has been one step forward and two steps backward, nice to no that nothing really changed (haha). I am only trying to clear stuff up so when I die my son has less to deal with, less paperwork, less legal stuff, etc. It just doesn't seem like My brain wants to cooperate because I never would have made that mistake before, I would have been watching for the checks to clear because it is what I do/did. I am very happy that you were able to "distract" from the everyday stress you are feeling by being around small ones. I am not sure if I could handle that at the moment even at this stage of my grief but there aren't any in my life so the point is moot.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members
11 minutes ago, John9 said:

It just doesn't seem like My brain wants to cooperate because I never would have made that mistake before,

John9:  I feel like I'm a few bricks shy of a load these days. I have to check, double check, triple check everything. And even then I still screw things up. It's aggravating. And I find myself being impatient. Anything I've got to do online or by phone is especially aggravating. My brother and SIL thought I should just do it all myself. Kind of hard when your whole world just got turned upside down and what I mean by that, is the loss of our spouses. My husband was my world just as your wife was yours. So now what are we suppose to do? I don't really know but I am trying to force myself to start thinking more like an individual now than a wife. I'm trying to picture living in my own apartment (hopefully soon) and what the apartment will look like and what kind of view will I have from my window. I try picturing myself sitting and having my morning coffee in solitude and remembering my husband but not in sadness, more in a peaceful way. Let it be my motivation for the day. So I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize. 

I called the SSA, they are still processing my application for Widows Benefits. So I got the aggravation of the phone and "menu's" and robots out of the way and can just rest and try to enjoy the rest of my day here.   

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators
On 9/8/2021 at 6:49 AM, John9 said:

I am sure some would say it was for "financial" reasons but what he had when he died could not and will not ever compensate for the amount of stress and grief he "put" me and my wife through but I couldn't abandon him either

I know all too well what you say is true, and just want to say you are a really good man.  It is when we do our best regardless that it shows most.

Oh @tnd how wonderful to get to spend time with her little children!  How nice that they are such good kids and a welcome break!  We all need those little breaks in life, something simple and positive!  You also made the phone call and can't do any more for the day so might as well relax and enjoy what is!

19 hours ago, John9 said:

I "forgot" there was an outstanding check and drove 40 miles one way to close account that I couldn't close because......Now I have to wait until check clears and because I messed up the online part is now closed and I can't just check

Can you call them to check so you don't have to travel so far for nothing?  Your brain is doing what all of our brains do on overload and stressed to the max.  :(

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

John9:   Thanks, John, I think you are right about me being where I need to be right now -with Francis. Guess whenever I have to put things on-hold or wait it acts like a trigger for me now. And that's because I've been waiting or in a holding pattern since last December when my husband first entered the hospital. It was wait and see, wait and see for several months. And I'm now doing yet another wait and see. You'd think I'd gain some patience but no, just anxiety. Hate having everything up in the air. But you're right, or your MIL was, it has to be one thing at a time right now. 

That flower almost looks like Betty Boop lips blowing a kiss. Thanks for sharing it. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Beautiful petunia, thank you for sharing, when we find them in odd places like that it seems a sign, that's how it is with me and pansies (our flower), I found one growing out of a sidewalk when I needed him most.

tnd, I couldn't agree more with what John said to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1