Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Husband, daughter, father and mother gone

Annie3339

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Annie3339 said:

I promised him he would be at home in the end. I failed.

You didn't fail, life did.  We cannot stop what comes our way, I was praying for George when he died.  I can no longer ask "Why?!" as I asked for a year and got no answer...there is no answer I would likely understand and agree with anyway, so just as well.

I am so sorry for your losses, I too have lost everyone but my siblings, but have even lost one of them and am now tending to my disabled sister with dementia.  It's rough.  Today marks 16 years George has been gone (Father's Day 2005), I'm always alone on it, no one remembers but me.  It's weird how alone this journey is, it really helps having this place to come to where others get it and understand.  

16 hours ago, Annie3339 said:

Why am I still here? 

It took me years to process my grief, years more to find purpose (being here for all of you and the grief support group I started (closed since Covid).  It took years more to build a life I could live (all of our friends promptly disappeared) and Covid set me back to square one with that...slowly starting to rebuild again.

I want to share an article I wrote of the things I've found helpful over the years, in the hopes something will be of help to you either now or on down the road.

TIPS TO MAKE YOUR WAY THROUGH GRIEF

There's no way to sum up how to go on in a simple easy answer, but I encourage you to read the other threads here, little by little you will learn how to make your way through this.  I do want to give you some pointers though, of some things I've learned on my journey.

• Take one day at a time.  The Bible says each day has enough trouble of it's own, I've found that to be true, so don't bite off more than you can chew.  It can be challenging enough just to tackle today.  I tell myself, I only have to get through today.  Then I get up tomorrow and do it all over again.  To think about the "rest of my life" invites anxiety.
  • Don't be afraid, grief may not end but it evolves.  The intensity lessens eventually.
  • Visit your doctor.  Tell them about your loss, any troubles sleeping, suicidal thoughts, anxiety attacks.  They need to know these things in order to help you through it...this is all part of grief.
  • Suicidal thoughts are common in early grief.  If they're reoccurring, call a suicide hotline.  I felt that way early on, but then realized it wasn't that I wanted to die so much as I didn't want to go through what I'd have to face if I lived.  Back to taking a day at a time.  Suicide Hotline - Call 1-800-273-8255 or www.crisis textline.org or US and Canada: text 741741 UK: text 85258 | Ireland: text 50808
  • Give yourself permission to smile.  It is not our grief that binds us to them, but our love, and that continues still.
  • Try not to isolate too much.  
  • There's a balance to reach between taking time to process our grief, and avoiding it...it's good to find that balance for yourself.  We can't keep so busy as to avoid our grief, it has a way of haunting us, finding us, and demanding we pay attention to it!  Some people set aside time every day to grieve.  I didn't have to, it searched and found me!
  • Self-care is extremely important, more so than ever.  That person that would have cared for you is gone, now you're it...learn to be your own best friend, your own advocate, practice self-care.  You'll need it more than ever.
  • Recognize that your doctor isn't trained in grief, find a professional grief counselor that is.  We need help finding ourselves through this maze of grief, knowing where to start, etc.  They have not only the knowledge, but the resources.
  • In time, consider a grief support group.  If your friends have not been through it themselves, they may not understand what you're going through, it helps to find someone somewhere who DOES "get it". 
  • Be patient, give yourself time.  There's no hurry or timetable about cleaning out belongings, etc.  They can wait, you can take a year, ten years, or never deal with it.  It's okay, it's what YOU are comfortable with that matters.  
  • Know that what we are comfortable with may change from time to time.  That first couple of years I put his pictures up, took them down, up, down, depending on whether it made me feel better or worse.  Finally, they were up to stay.
  • Consider a pet.  Not everyone is a pet fan, but I've found that my dog helps immensely.  It's someone to love, someone to come home to, someone happy to see me, someone that gives me a purpose...I have to come home and feed him.  Besides, they're known to relieve stress.  Well maybe not in the puppy stage when they're chewing up everything, but there's older ones to adopt if you don't relish that stage.
  • Make yourself get out now and then.  You may not feel interest in anything, things that interested you before seem to feel flat now.  That's normal.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone just a wee bit now and then.  Eating out alone, going to a movie alone or church alone, all of these things are hard to do at first.  You may feel you flunked at it, cried throughout, that's okay, you did it, you tried, and eventually you get a little better at it.  If I waited until I had someone to do things with I'd be stuck at home a lot.
  • Keep coming here.  We've been through it and we're all going through this together.
  • Look for joy in every day.  It will be hard to find at first, but in practicing this, it will change your focus so you can embrace what IS rather than merely focusing on what ISN'T.  It teaches you to live in the present and appreciate fully.  You have lost your big joy in life, and all other small joys may seem insignificant in comparison, but rather than compare what used to be to what is, learn the ability to appreciate each and every small thing that comes your way...a rainbow, a phone call from a friend, unexpected money, a stranger smiling at you, whatever the small joy, embrace it.  It's an art that takes practice and is life changing if you continue it.
  • Eventually consider volunteering.  It helps us when we're outward focused, it's a win/win.

(((hugs))) Praying for you today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Annie, 

I am so terribly sorry for all you are going through.  It sounds like you have tried all the right things to move forward.  It is especially hurtful that your grandchildren's parents are limiting your contact with your grandchildren. Hopefully as they get a little older you will have more opportunity to connect with them, phone, social media. I know it's not the same as physical contact, but it keeps the connection. 

I am so sorry.  

Gail

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Members
32 minutes ago, Gail 8588 said:

Hopefully as they get a little older you will have more opportunity to connect with them, phone, social media. I know it's not the same as physical contact, but it keeps the connection. 

I agree with what you said. Hopefully those grandchildren won't end up resenting their father and stepmother for limiting their time with their mother's mom (grandmother). With the exception of their father, the grandmother (in this case, Annie3339) could be relied on best to tell their mother's story and answer questions they may have later on. To keep them from that I think would be unhealthy and very unwise. My older brother was selfish and was never a good father to his children. He simply wasn't around for them. Once she became a teenager his oldest daughter asked me if I could tell her about her dad. I said "Sure. What would you like to know?" She said "Everything!". So I know whether the parent has been a good one or not, children still want to know "their story". They want to know about their beginnings and they want to know if their parents were the same way when they were young. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
On 6/18/2021 at 8:27 PM, Annie3339 said:

Why am I still here?  I am in that space between life here and life there. This black void is like a living hell.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I am so sad.  I am broken.

Annie3339: I am so very sorry for the pain you've endured. It is truly heartbreaking when we lose a loved one. For me, the worst was losing my husband just 11 days ago. Your post gives me some insight into the future. By the way, my husband's first wife died of Glioblastoma. There is no surviving it. She had two brain surgeries that gave her a little more time but they knew the prognosis was not good. You didn't fail your husband. I understand a little of how you feel, tho and why. I, too told my husband he'd come home. I wanted to offer him some hope and sound positive so he could rest and think of something good to look forward to. Some days we honestly thought he would come home but no, it was not meant to be. I bargained with God to let him come home but no, it was not in "the plan". And I say that because my husband believed in God and always told me that God has a plan for all of us. I keep trying to remember that, trying and trying to keep that in mind. It is so hard! And like you, I feel like I've lost my purpose. Wondering why I am still here on this earth. Surely "the plan" doesn't include for me to suffer the pain and torment I am going through. So why? Well I don't know why we wake up each day but I'm just taking it one day at a time. Sorry I have no better words for you. Perhaps as we trudge along things might get better. I think our pain will always remain but hope to "overwhelm the pain" with some sort of good at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Thank you everyone for the positive advice. I love all the suggestions and am taking things one day at a time. When I feel overwhelmed I just stop and breathe. I don’t feel so alone. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Foreverhis, 

Beautifully said. Truer words have never been spoken/written. 

I think most surviving spouses have to deal with feelings of guilt. Working your way through that issue is one of the most difficult parts of processing grief.

Thanks for so tenderly sharing your story.

Gail

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members

@foreverhis thank you for sharing.  I did experience all that, with my husband then my daughter. It is hard to process.  I think I have gotten past the guilt more so than just the overall sadness of life without them.  I struggle with the way my life is now vs before. I can't forget them, I can't run away from the memories therefore I can't get away from the pain. Its a cycle I work on everyday. Hugs to you too.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

Annie, my heart goes out to you.  There are many good articles/videos on grief/guilt, but it's the living with loss part on an everyday basis that haunts us regardless of our individual situations.  You will find your way, it just takes much time and more effort than we care to expend.  :wub:  I'm so glad we all have each other to go through it with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I have a son I have always been close to but the last 1 1/2 years or so he has pulled way back and I feel more alone than ever.  I drove the six hour round trip to my granddaughter's birthday and he never even talked to me.  Trying to bring things up to him does no good, he's "always busy."  Maybe it's just where he's at in this stage of life, I try not to personalize, but I also know he has no clue what it's like to grow old alone.  I tried to be there for my mom in her 32 years of widowhood.  I understand her more now than I did before George passed...doing my best.  I understand your being tired of navigating it alone.  Your book's title sounds very interesting!

• Hugs 2