Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A little humor to our day...

KayC

• Members
Diane R. E.

Thanks for sharing, Kay; it IS cute. I know it's a cartoon, but I think it would be a great way to honor one's spouse.

• Like 2

• Members

Love it!  John was an utter champ at Boggle.  He played what he called "Liar's Boggle" because he would see patterns and write them down in case they were actually words.  They usually were!  This idea is sooooo tempting.  Unfortunately, I think our daughter would completely freak out.  She doesn't even want to be in the same room with her dad's ashes (in his nice leather cylinder).  When the girls visit, I told her I'd move him to our bedroom and that would have to suffice because not even for her will I remove him from the house.  I confess I don't understand why she reacts this way, but she does and I (mostly) respect that.

I learned cribbage when I was about 5 and have played it off and on my whole life.  I even have two of the ancient family boards, though one has really odd pegs (e.g., wooden matchstick ends) when some of the originals got lost.  My other card game was Pinochle.  My parents had supper and then played every Sunday with their best friends for 25-30 years.  When their friend's son (also in the theater) and I were old enough, we carried on the tradition with a couple who were theater friends and who played regularly.  Even though their son and I were never a couple, he was a great pal to have on hand for dancing, parties, and card nights.

And I am a word game fan too.  I don't usually do the weekday puzzles, but I must have my NYT Sunday crossword.  I like Sudoku as well, but just the one with numbers and not the one that combines numbers with letters.

This was a wonderful mood boost for today.  Thanks, Kay.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Widower, that's actually the cartoon my counselor/friend from my other grief site sent me when I lost my Arlie!  I saved it and share it on occasion.

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, foreverhis said:

John was an utter champ at Boggle

Me too, I LOVE word games!  At my old church they refused to let me play anymore because they said no one else would get a chance!  (I'd get like 400 points and others would be struggling at 15 when the time was up!)
My dad taught me cribbage when I was five also, but for years I didn't have anyone to play with, so although I'm good, some have had a chance to hone their skills more.  I used to go play with my FIL every Friday night after we ate dinner, when he was in his assisted living. Sure miss him!  Our family used to play 500 which is a very skilled strategic game, better than pinochle to me, although I liked it too.  Now I have no one to play with so have to play games with the computer like boggle, hearts, etc.  One of the down sides of living alone for so long.  I never was any good at Sudoku but my sister Peggy is!  Amazing as she's lost so much cognitive ability but her mind in other areas is sharp
!

• Like 3