Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

How Do You Deal With Moving In w/Family Now?

• Members

It's been a week now since I lost my husband. Sometime in the next month or so I will be moving in with my brother and his wife and 2 teenagers. I will not only have to adjust to living in a new state and not having my own place but my sister in-law is somewhat of a shopaholic/hoarder and although we get along, it has not always been the easiest relationship. I will be (unless I qualify for Medicaid) totally dependent on them financially. I have a rare illness that requires me to be on oxygen 24/7 and a lot of meds. I am losing my health insurance. My brother says he might be able to put me on his plan as a dependent. And so I am very very grateful to him and his wife. I am very fortunate to have them. I am lucky to not be homeless and on the street. But still, I can't deny that this is going to be difficult -for both of them as well as for myself. All the while grieving the loss of my husband. I hope to not be more than a bother or burden to my brother and his family than I already am. Any suggestions on how to cope with it or stories you can share about your own experience(s) with this will be welcomed. I can see I might need to make a notebook for all the categories of dealing with grief and stress and facing new challenges. 

• Like 1

• Members
23 hours ago, reader said:

Dear tnd,

How are things going?

reader:  Thank you for asking. I am currently living with a family who very generously have taken me in until I get approved for Widows Benefits. Keep reading. I plan to start a new thread about this but one that everyone who is grieving while also going through stress can post. I don't want the new thread to be just about me. I am hoping others who can either relate or needing to talk about their own stress and grief will also post.   

• Members
GrahamMurray

Hey there, I saw your post and wanted to drop in and share my 2 cents. I'm sorry to hear about your tough situation, but it's great that you have family to rely on. Moving in with them might be a bit of an adjustment, but it sounds like they're supportive and caring. I love your idea of keeping a notebook to organize your thoughts and feelings. It's a great way to process things and keep track of what's going on. And don't forget to take care of yourself too. Maybe you could try doing something fun or relaxing to take your mind off things. Btw, investing is also a form a care. If I were you, I'd consider overseas property investment, but it's just a thought. Thanks for letting me. Just wanted to share my 2 cents.