Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Tearing off the scab...again and again

Suzanne Cooke

• Members
1 hour ago, Suzanne Cooke said:

The only light at the end is Mark waiting for me.  We had always promised to haunt one another, but he has reneged on that promise.  I'm angry about that too.  I would have some small consolation if he would haunt me.  But all is silence.  All is silence.

I don't know if you are a religious person but I don't think it matters when you read what I'm going to say here. My husband was a good Christian man. His faith in God was deep and altho I've always been a believer, my husband taught me a lot about what is in the Bible so that I could understand it better. People are always saying that our loved ones are looking down on us from Heaven and looking out for us....but my husband said the Bible says not so. He said it was because (or something like this) that it is God who decides who gets to see or be with someone when they are in Heaven. He may or may not let a loved one see us until our own time comes and even then He decides who we will see in Heaven. Now, like you I would very much like to see my husband appear or as you put it "haunt" me or to have him give me a sign that he's okay and looking out for me still but...that wasn't what he believed in. I sat and thought about that and decided that since that was not something he believed in and because he said it was in the Bible, I will not try to "look for him". I know that seems almost cold but I want to honor him by respecting his beliefs. And through that, he is with me here. And I have been having a lot of conversations with him...even if he can't hear me it somehow lets me "release" some of this grief. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

BTW: I used to write letters to friends about all the things in life that were bothering or worrying me. I'd write, write, write. But I would never mail the letters and they'd end up in the trash. A therapist was surprised and told me that writing such letters was an excellent way of letting stuff out. So keep writing your own letters. Weeks, months, years. Eventually you don't feel the need to.   

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Maria_PI said:

For myself, I’ve found that forgetting the fake friends and making a new friend helps, change of scenery, establishing a new habit like going out for walks on the beach or in the park helps a little. Accomplishing little projects related to him or in his name, one at a time, helps keep me occupied yet connected with him still.

This!

Every single one of "our friends" disappeared immediately!  I was shocked, it hit me hard on top of what I was already going through!  My two best friends didn't even bother attending his funeral!  No excuse whatsoever.  These articles were of help to me.  I let them go and amazingly a new best friend emerged that I'd barely known before, we were close over the next ten years (she lost her husband four years after mine passed) until she moved & remarried in another state.  I haven't gotten one quite like her yet but have a few "friends" now, just not as close.

Friends who Stop Being Good Friends
Friends, letdown
Friendship: Why I Not Longer Hold Onto Relationships That No Longer Serve Me

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, tnd said:

I know that seems almost cold but I want to honor him by respecting his beliefs.

One way of honoring them is to carry on what was important to them or what we learned from them.  I tried keeping up his garden, however I discovered I did NOT have a green thumb and had to let that idea go!  :D  But I have learned so much from him, he was wise when it came to dealing with people (he used to say you have to speak to people in the language they understand, and I agree), so I keep those lessons with me.  He was very caring and always helping those down and out so I tried to respect that and carry it out when it was time to let go of most of his clothes, I took them to Sponsors, an organization dear to his heart, it benefited those getting out of prison with only the clothes on their backs.  He also cared about the homeless.

• Like 3

• Members

Hi Suzanne. I'm sorry for your pain and I relate to what you shared. (My loss was 14 months ago). I too struggle with anger and hurt with people who ghosted me and/or provided minimal support. It's grossly unfair to feel abandoned and hurt by others when grappling with profound loss. I agree with your therapist: don't further invest yourself in people who let you down. We learn who truly cares about us when we suffer our hardest loss. To paraphrase Maya Angelou--when people show you who they are, believe them. I think writing letters that you tear up (I prefer the more dramatic sight of burning them over a sink) is a good way to purge bad feelings. I've done it multiple times and feel a release each time. 

I wailed yesterday when my new cat broke the largest stem of a plant my husband was especially proud of (he was bad with plants and pleased when one thrived). I sat on the floor and sobbed. A randomly broken plant stem threw me back into the pit of despair. I don't think there's a way to avoid such instances, but I think their intensity will lessen with time. 

I'm also sorry you don't feel like he's "haunting you." I know it would be comforting if you felt what seemed like a sign(s) from him. But consider this: just because his after death presence isn't manifesting how you once imagined, doesn't mean his energy (spirit) isn't all around you. We can't see oxygen, but we can't exist without it. Does our inability to see/feel oxygen eliminate its presence? No. Not at all.  Perhaps the same applies with our deceased loved ones. 

• Like 4

• Members
8 hours ago, SDC said:

I'm also sorry you don't feel like he's "haunting you." I know it would be comforting if you felt what seemed like a sign(s) from him. But consider this: just because his after death presence isn't manifesting how you once imagined, doesn't mean his energy (spirit) isn't all around you. We can't see oxygen, but we can't exist without it. Does our inability to see/feel oxygen eliminate its presence? No. Not at all.  Perhaps the same applies with our deceased loved ones. 

You just made me remember a conversation my husband and I had. He told me God is the one who decides who we see and/or are with upon entering Heaven. My husband didn't believe in ghosts. Me, because of some very strange experiences I've had in years past, I am not so sure. But I will honor my husband and not be "looking" for him to appear. However, we once had a conversation where I asked him, "Well, what about the Holy Ghost mentioned in prayers and the Bible?". I can't quite remember but I don't think my husband had a answer for that and was going to research it for me. He did say that when we die our Spirit leaves the body and enters Heaven and our bodies are just a shell. I'd like to think our Spirits can see our loved ones or our loved ones Spirit can visit us in some form. For now I do have a lot of proof that he existed. And he was largely responsible for who I am. He made me a better person. He will forever live on with me in that capacity. Always. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, SDC said:

To paraphrase Maya Angelou--when people show you who they are, believe them.

For sure!  It amazes me that we think people are our best friends but when something hard hits, they show their true colors.

20 hours ago, SDC said:

A randomly broken plant stem threw me back into the pit of despair

Oh man, I get this!

20 hours ago, SDC said:

Does our inability to see/feel oxygen eliminate its presence? No. Not at all.  Perhaps the same applies with our deceased loved ones. 

So apt an analogy!

13 hours ago, june483 said:

I strangely feel guilty (how dumb is that?!) for not reaching out to people that have ghosted me. 

I hope you'll let go of that!  We're programmed to think we SHOULD do this, we SHOULD do that, but no!

11 hours ago, tnd said:

He did say that when we die our Spirit leaves the body and enters Heaven and our bodies are just a shell.

It does say we'll get a new body.  What that's like I don't know but it won't wear out like this one because we're told there's no more pain, no more tears!  No more death.

I don't personally try to figure it out but here's some articles on it:

Nightmares and Bad Dreams in Grief
Dreams control

How To Control Your Dream (While You're Sleeping) | HuffPost
control your dreams? Here's how you can -- ScienceDaily

• Like 1

• Members
On 6/12/2021 at 8:48 AM, KayC said:

One way of honoring them is to carry on what was important to them or what we learned from them.  I tried keeping up his garden, however I discovered I did NOT have a green thumb and had to let that idea go!  :D  But I have learned so much from him

Until we had to sell our house years back (we got laid off) and moved into an apartment, my husband was very much into gardening. He knew what/when and where in the yard to plant. Apparently my sister in-law does some gardening. Since I have to move in with by brother and her, maybe she will let me have a small area to garden. They live way out in the country with a giant yard. There are also trails I can walk. I think it could help me deal with the grief but also maybe offer a chance for my sister in-law and I to connect better. We don't hate each other but we have had a falling out in the past and have made up since then a long time ago. But we 've been distant. Now I am going to be living in her house! Yikes! So maybe gardening would put us on some common ground. If anything, I could at least help her with her gardening and she shouldn't complain about that, right? Because I have Pulmonary Sarcoidosis and on oxygen 24/7, I can't physically do a lot and when I do something, I have to go slow. But I have portable O2 and maybe my sis in-law will see my need to do something, just a little something to stay busy while making myself useful at the same time. Moving isn't going to be easy and living with them might prove even harder but I have no choice. Well, I should start a list now of "Things I Want To Do".  Thank you so much for your response to my post, it's given me something to think about and maybe look forward to. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
Suzanne Cooke

Thank you everyone who spread that net and "caught" me the other night.  I was in a truly dark place.  I feel much better today. I am working at several art projects.  My girlfriend came to visit.  Life continues.  THANK YOU.

• Like 4

• Members
4 hours ago, Suzanne Cooke said:

So my advice is to find SOMETHING that you control, even just a potted plant.

Suzanne Cook:  Thank you for the heads up. That is good advice. I am actually going to put your suggestion on my list of "Things I Want To Do" so I can keep it in mind as I add to my list. Over the years and for various reasons, mostly financial and due to health issues, I've become good at enjoying and appreciating the simpler things in life. Just sitting at a window to watch birds or people walking their dogs while I have my coffee became a pleasant routine for me. I had to learn to do this to avoid going crazy and feeling too sorry for myself. I don't know if anything I've learned can be applied to coping with the heartache I am feeling right now but I can always hope that it will at least lessen the pain.   

• Like 2

• Members
On 6/13/2021 at 10:23 AM, KayC said:

I love these articles!  For all my life I would have lucid colorful dreams, mostly I would just fly sometimes over the tree tops, to get one place to another, as I knew I was in a dream and was safe. This concept is really true.  I had a few lucid dreams of my husband in the early months where I knew I was dreaming and that he had passed and I just held on tight to him and enjoyed every second.  When I woke I actually felt so much better, for awhile anyways.  I can't seem to grasp it again now but I am committed to work on this.  I think I am sleep deprived a lot now and not REM'ing as much,  perhaps that is the problem.  I figure sleeping is 1/3 of my life so I want to make good use of it and look for my husband in my dreams and if I can know I am dreaming while I am there, all the better!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Suzanne Cooke

How awesome those dreams are. When I was a child, I not only had lucid dreams, but shared them with my brother.  We didn't realize this until well into adulthood and were reminiscing one day.  I am glad they were happy - if bizarre - dreams.  A lot of flying.  The flying took a lot of effort, mostly mental concentration, but some physical effort too.  If there were lucid horror/nightmares (shudder) I don't remember them.  But a few of my other dreams I can still recall.

• Like 3

• Members
7 hours ago, Suzanne Cooke said:

How awesome those dreams are. When I was a child, I not only had lucid dreams, but shared them with my brother.  We didn't realize this until well into adulthood and were reminiscing one day.  I am glad they were happy - if bizarre - dreams.  A lot of flying.  The flying took a lot of effort, mostly mental concentration, but some physical effort too.  If there were lucid horror/nightmares (shudder) I don't remember them.  But a few of my other dreams I can still recall.

I've always had dreams of flying over trees, buildings, all kinds of stuff. Mind you it's not like in the movies where you're stretched out like Superman. It's more like giant hops and I just barely clear what I am flying over. I haven't had one in a while but they seem so realistic, and when I wake up I'm amazed at how vivid they are.

• Like 2