New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

Losing a grandfather.

phro124

• Members
phro124

I lost my precious grandpa just over two months ago, he took me in when my parents divorced, he raised me and was a father figure to me. He had been suffering with Alzheimer’s for around 6 years, and was very unwell towards the end of his life. I have repressed all of my feelings up until now, I took time from work, one week, in order to spend time with my family and to grieve, since going back to work, I have been busy 24/7, I haven’t spent any time alone in the last 2 months, because I am so terrified of being alone and dealing with my thoughts. I have started spending more time alone, and I have found that I am finally having to confront these emotions. I have never had to deal with the loss of a loved one, I can’t see how this will ever get easier, I feel a little lost, I was so lucky to have such a kind, caring person in my life. 

• Members
Valerie Lockhart

Dear Phro124,

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather. I too was extremely close to my grandfather. He confided in me all of his wishes for his funeral, because he knew my grandmother wouldn't be able to handle it. It took several years for me to drive by the hospital where he died and not recall an image of his lifeless body lying in bed. Please find comfort in knowing how much your grandpa loved you and knew that you loved him as well. You may find that for a time your emotions will be somewhat unpredictable. Tears may flow without much advance warning. Whether by talking or writing, communicating your feelings can help you to release your grief. In addition, do not underestimate the value of prayer. The Bible urges us: “Throw your burden upon Jehovah himself, and he himself will sustain you.” (Psalm 55:22) If talking out your feelings with a sympathetic friend can help, how much more will pouring out your heart to “the God of all comfort” help you!—2 Corinthians 1:3. It is not that prayer simply makes us feel better. The “Hearer of prayer” promises to give holy spirit to his servants who sincerely ask for it.