Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A Tribute to FOODIE - The Greatest Soul I've ever Known

Foodies Dad

• Members
Foodies Dad

It has been over a week since I've lost my best friend to cancer. The pain is unbearable but I made you many promises to you before you left. Among them, I would honour you every day and that I would make sure to tell your story.

Thirteen years ago you came in to our lives by accident. Literally. A car struck you, shattering your hips and leg and you were rushed to the SPCA. This was a year after we lost another Beloved Cat and agreed to foster at our local shelter. My wife volunteered to foster you in our home so you could recover from your injuries.

We fostered you for approximately 2 weeks and then we were supposed to take you back to the SPCA. The first day you arrived into our home was in a big carrier. I looked inside and saw the most beautiful, innocent set of eyes and an angelic face full of goodness. I fell in love with you the moment I laid my eyes on you.

I remember taking you out of your carrier to give you a chance to stretch a bit. Your one hind leg had a metal brace to mend the break in your leg and hip. I gently carried you out and slowly placed you on your side with my hands where you rested on a blanket. I told you, "wait there! I'll be right back. Just going down the hallway." Before I knew it, I heard a, "tick tick tick". I turned around and saw you running toward me on three legs. You ran to stay with me. From the very beginning you were so loyal to me and our bond had already begun. At the end of the two weeks we wend on a short holiday to “decide” if we should adopt you. But no decision was needed. You stole my heart from day one.

You had it brutally tough from the start to finish of your life. Being hit by a car and more medical problems and ailments than anyone can possibly imagine. Your medical file at various vets were two encyclopedia's thick. Unsurprisingly, you never let that stop you. You give definition not only to the word loyalty, but courage. The courage you possess is greater than any I have witnessed. You defied the odds and never gave up. Because we love each other so much, we made an amazing team. Even doctors agreed it was our love that kept you going.

The first long weekend we travelled we took you to a boutique Cat Spa while we were away. It was a nice place and the girls that worked there showered you with affection plus you had other cats to play with as well. But you weren’t interested in any of that. On the day we were driving back to pick you up, in the words of the employees that worked there, you, “waited ALL day at the front door” for us, where, neither treats or toys could deter you from waiting for your Mom and Dad.

We called you our gentle boy. You radiated goodness, innocence, purity. Every time you looked up at me with those big black eyes I would melt with love. I loved to just sit…and look at you, and just admire and adore you. You were the epitome of loyalty, unconditional love, courage, and strength. You only had one weakness though, and that was food. You’d eat anything you could get your paws on. Like when you got mad at me because I didn’t give you my fish, and you sat at the door persistently howling like a wolf until I gave you some.

You were my constant companion, my partner, my best friend. We did everything together. We ate together, played together, laughed, watched tv, chased birds, and of course, we always slept and snuggled together. You were part of my everyday routine and I spent every day caring for you. I would do anything for you of course and wouldn’t think twice about it. Remember that mouse you spotted. And we went looking for it. And when it ran out toward us, we both jumped. I don't know who was more scared, you or me. You held me through the roughest seas. You were always there for me. You were my rock. You were my hero.

Three years ago when we were at the house, you got hit by more health problems. Your digestion caused problems and a urinary infection took place. It was a close call. Then right after that you were diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. We went on meds and it made your digestion even worse. We got the hyperthyroidism treated a year later but you then had a terrible pancreatitis flare-up. We thought the worst, but once again you beat the odds. However, although you pulled through, you were never quite the same after and noticeably weaker. We managed to enjoy another year together. The doctors gave all your tests a thumbs up.

I thought we still had a little more time together…

You were struggling with you mouth badly for a week. We thought it was a ruptured tooth and that we would defeat that together like we did everything else. I took you to the doctor that day. All your life, I made you a promise every single time we went to the vet. A promise I kept every single time that we would come home together with Mom. That day, I made the same promise, that we would go home together with Mom.

They found cancer. In the back of the tongue and throat. Very large. And no going back from. Life laid down the ultimatum. And for the first time in your life, I could not keep my promise to you.

I could only stand in utter disbelief. Searing waves of pain washing over my heart. After 2 years of ailing health, knowing we were in the last laps, you’d think I could have prepared myself better for this moment. But the truth is, I was never ready to let you go. I knelt down before you and held you, looked you straight in the eyes and said, “I’ve told you everything I ever wanted to say to you these past 2 years. And now I have one last thing to say. Wait for me up in Heaven my darling boy. Papa loves you forever.”

You transitioned peacefully. I died that day with you.

I could not bear to open the front door, because I knew you would not be there to greet me. You were my world. And my life revolved around you, caring for and loving you. And now my world was gone.

I spent an entire week gathering every photograph and movie I’ve ever taken of you, assembling videos and writing speeches in your honour, as I promised you I would give you a beautiful memorial. It was the hardest days I’ve ever experienced. I have been an emotional wreck, barely functional, hardly able to breathe scanning over hundreds of videos and photos of you. Through many tears, I completed the video for your memorial.

And over the course of the week, I realized something.

Spending all this time looking at your videos brought me back to all those old years and memories. I look back at our 13 years we shared together and I can only be grateful for what I had with you. I thought life was difficult because of the personal problems I was experiencing. No. I had it wrong all along. I was in paradise because I was with you. Looking back at all those movies and photos, you were so, so happy. It fills my heart with joy to know that we gave you such a happy life, and you gave us double the happiness, double the love back. I am so grateful to have shared every single day with you Foodie. You brought magic into our lives. You live in our hearts forever. You were God’s greatest gift to me. You were a miracle.

Let this be a record for all to know, that Foodie was a remarkable soul that made a difference in my life. That you loved and were loved, and the world was a better place for it. That you will always be remembered and that I will love you till the end of time.

My sadness remains, missing you everyday, and I will walk with a heavy heart. But in time I will remember that you are all in your glory up in Heaven, chasing after butterflies, completely healthy and in eternal bliss. And for that I can truly feel happy for you.

And then one day, when I no longer need my body, I will come home to you my darling boy for our greatest reunion of all. My soul will not rest, until I am with you again.

I love you with all of my heart and soul Foodie, forever and for all of eternity.

With all of my love

Your Dad and Mom

Foodie and dad-2.jpg

Foodie and mom-2.jpg

Foodie-our angel.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators

I am truly sorry for your loss.  Your kitty is beautiful, I love the one of you together. 

Your story touched me, it reminded me of my journey with mine.  My cat lived to 25 and I lost her...she had a very rough start her first 12 years before I got her, I first met her at 10.  My soulmate in a dog, Arlie, went in for teeth cleaning and instead came home with a death sentence (cancer).  I lost him and Kitty within 4 1/2 months of each other.  I walked my neighbor's dog, Joe (a chow) and he bit my left hand and jerked hard on my right hand so both have permanent injury and have lost most of their strength, I now have pain all the time.  Covid hit at the same time.  I went through surgery, which only worsened it.  My son brought me a puppy, conceived when Arlie died, born on my birthday, even his name was a confirmation I should have him as it popped into my head when I first saw his picture, and when my son brought him to me, and threw the tag down, it read Kodie.  I was stunned!

I found it helped to write their stories as it immortalizes them, I will never forget them but want others to know how wonderful they are/were too!

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members

I'm truly sorry to read of your loss of your beloved Foodie. He is such a beautiful soul. It seems your journey with him has not been easy at times, yet he managed to battle on. Its said they take a piece of our hearts with them when they go, I'd go further and say they take our whole heart. I know when my lovely boy Goldie passed in December that my life as it was had completely changed. I wanted to go with him. Do you know the line in the song that goes 'the day the music died', well since that day I haven't listened to a single song. I hope you can find peace and think of all the happiness he gave you in time. Foodie would want you to remember him that way. Thinking of you right now. 

• Like 1

• Members
Foodies Dad

Thank you for your well wishes. My thoughts go out to you all as well.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:58 AM, Gary55 said:

Do you know the line in the song that goes 'the day the music died', well since that day I haven't listened to a single song.

I do pray for music to return to your life again.

I have to pick up my Son's ashes this Tuesday and bring him home. It's been over two weeks. The emptiness is unbearable at times. How fast can I make time go, so that terrible day is long gone in the rear view mirror?Foodie-n-pic-37

• Like 2

• Moderators

I know it's hard...I hope it went as well as it could and you have a special place for his ashes. :wub:

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you, I hope music returns at some point too. Time may not exist in the Afterlife, but it sure is a difficult thing here. Thinking of you. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Gary55 said:

Time may not exist in the Afterlife, but it sure is a difficult thing here.

For sure!  

• Like 1

• Members
Foodies Dad

It's been just over 2 months since my best friend Foodie transitioned to the rainbow bridge.

13 long years together and I am probably coming out of a disbelief phase, because it is hitting me now full force like a sledgehammer to my heart. The realization of Foodie not here anymore, the emptiness. It's just inescapable. Even going out it feels at times like I can't breathe.

I've had losses, and I've had a lot of ups and downs in my life. But in all of my 57 years on Earth I've never gone through anything this brutal.

We tend to measure and count our grieving in years = months ratio. I guess I've probably got another 11 months to go.

• Like 1

• Moderators

That is maybe a rule of thumb but by no means an accurate portrayal...it varies with many factors.  I still grieve my Arlie, it's been nearly two years he's been gone, grief has no ending, but changes form.  Little by little we process our grief and can hone our coping/adjusting skills depending on our grief work, yes it takes effort.  We can get counseling, read books and articles, read/post on forums, journal, honor them with something we do, whether it be a shadow box, garden, adopting another, contribute to a rescue, etc, the ideas are endless and individual.

I lost my soulmate and best friend, my husband, 16 years ago...the grief will never end.  Neither will it for my Arlie.  But it's not as intense pain as it was day one either, the unthinkable happens and we get more used to doing life without them, even though we never ever stop loving and missing them.

• Members

Hi @Foodies Dad Your sweet guy was so so cute, what a face. My heart goes out to you.  

I'm almost at the 4-year mark of the sudden (and horrible) passing of my sweet Cat. Those early days and weeks I thought I would go insane with grief. I thought my heart was breaking, literally sometimes. I watched my cat suffer the last 2 hours of his life. It was the worst experience I've ever had. Putting him down was putting him out of his misery.

Anyway, I'm so sorry for your loss. There is peace to be found, I promise you. If I can reach it, anyone can. It just takes a while. Hang in there.