Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I’m so numb I can’t take it

Ainslie

• Members

Oh my god his family just posted his obituary and didn’t even put me in there.  I am crying so hard I can’t stop 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 3

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ainslie

• KayC

• tnd

• BridgetMcSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
5 hours ago, Ainslie said:

KayC you truly are an amazing person 

I second that!  Again:)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ainslie,

Tomorrow will be a hard day, but you will get through it. Just think about being there for him.  People will say nice things about him and that will be hard and good at the same time. 

My husband's memorial service was a blur, and I think that is fairly common. 

Don't worry about how the service will go. If you break down and sob, that's alright. If you are stoic and numb, that's alright too. Whatever happens will be alright. 

Hugs

Gail 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Moderators

You know how he loved you and would not want his family acting like this to you.  It's horrid that they didn't mention you in his obit, the most IMPORTANT person in his life!  The person he wanted to spend his life with.  Shame on them!!!  Try to not give them a second thought, blot them out, go to his service with your head held high and look through them, do this for him alone, giving yourself inner thoughts, self-talk how much he loves you, yes even still.  Our arms surround you as you go.:wub:

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC thank you so much for being there for me. You’re words are very empowering and I will hold  on to them. You just gave me some courage and strength. You are truly a wonderful person and I can’t thank you enough.

• Like 1

• Members

I just find it so frustrating that I wasn’t mentioned in the obituary and I was with my husband for 13 years and his 3 sisters maybe called us twice in those 13 years. Never called him to see how he was doing or have any interest in are life and when he tried to reach out and call them they never had time but now they are the ones running the show. I’m very sad and disappointed in people. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Ainslie said:

Never called him to see how he was doing or have any interest in are life and when he tried to reach out and call them they never had time but now they are the ones running the show.

Don't you think it's their guilt behind it?

• Members

KayC I think you’re right because yesterday when one of his sisters texted me she kept trying to blame me. Saying that he was so worried that you were going to lose the house because of the law suit. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Of course he was, that's how partners are, they care about each other!  But if that is why he did it, it was not your choice or action or influence, that was HIS choice, you never would have wanted that choice!  Most of us here would rather be homeless than have our partner gone from us!  I would be in heaven if only my George were here, I know you feel the same.  They are so wrong to blame you but I guess they find that easier than blaming him or themselves...but in actuality we're better off not playing the blame game, it helps no one as is usually off.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
BridgetMcSki

We will be with you. I remember that morning and wanting to go there to just see him but knowing in reality it was the finality. Message us. My therapist even told me (as crazy as it sounds) if you feel like I can’t balance yourself, go outside and hug a tree. Hugging the tree will ground you. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Members
On 5/31/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ainslie said:

I just received a text that the funeral is this Thursday. I can’t breathe. I’m numb. I feel broken. I don’t know how I will ever be able to walk up to the casket and say goodbye to my love. I am laying in bed praying god takes me in my sleep.

Ainslie, I am so sorry for losing your husband this way, any way really is difficult. I know it would be difficult at any time to view your husband, but some (most?) funeral homes would allow a private viewing, I think, for you, if that would make it something that sounds like something you could do. that way it would be just you and your husband, no audience/family.

• Like 4

• Members

You will get through it Ainslie. This is your last opportunity to see the face of your husband. Focus on you and your husband, and not the  other family members.  I’ll be praying for you. 

Hugs … Steve 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Hi Ainslie

Just to let you know, I’m thinking of you today. I pray for strength to get you through today. :wub2:

Hugs Nikki x

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Ainslie said:

I’m so scared for tomorrow morning. I can’t take this

We are with you in spirit as you go through this.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Diane R. E.

Hello Ainslie; I am thinking of you today and pray you found some measure of support and comfort. I'm so sorry for your loss and feel so bad about the way his family is hurting you. Hold on to the knowledge that you and your husband were deeply in love. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ainslie,

Hoping it went better than you feared.  Also hope you were able to come home and rest afterward.  Stress is very exhausting!

Hugs

Gail

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members
BridgetMcSki

You will get through the day. I know every minute seems like an hour and every hour seems like a day. But you will get through this. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I'm sure you're exhausted but I hope you rest tonight and know he is with you every step of this. :wub:

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
9 hours ago, foreverhis said:

At a time when we have virtually no strength to handle anything, we are forced to anyway.  If you have a friend or family member of your own who can kind of be your support and help, please ask them to be there for you.

Ainslie, foreverhis nailed it.  Your husband’s family is unfortunately toxic.  

We are all thinking of you.  Please try and get some rest so that your mind and body can recuperate a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ainslie, you have the inner strength to persevere.  This time in particular is lonely and scary, but  you will get through it.  I’m so sorry you had to deal with the pain caused by your husband’s family.  They are simply bringing you down even further.  I would limit or eliminate any contact with them.   Is there anyone in your own family that can stay with you for a while?  Maybe someone that can you can confide in and help you navigate banking, legal matters, etc?

We are here for you. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Members

Wow Ainslie, I feel for you so much, wish I could give you a big hug. I can't believe how you were treated by his family and your family. How could people be so callous? Like Steve said, you have to hopefully be able to confide in a good friend, or other family member that will be sympathetic to your feelings. You need emotional support right now, someone to talk to about your feelings. Come here and talk about it as we understand.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
9 hours ago, BridgetMcSki said:

We are dealing with just coming to terms with grief and then the negativity comes and it just dismantles what our mind is trying to accept.

How true … such negativity just piles pain upon pain.  The people that inflict such pain are immature and pathetic. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I had to let go of George's family, especially his dad who badmouthed him w/o cause....this after not even bothering to attend his funeral!  (He only lived two hours away and was offered a ride.)  I do stay in touch with his daughter and have minimal contact with his son.  I follow their lead.  I recently got a graduation notice from his granddaughter, how I wish he could have been here as she grew up!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Once you are up to it Ainslie, you will make friends. And, It’s  obvious to me that you would make a wonderful friend:)  

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Ainslie, I feel your pain so deeply. I feel like I'm reading about myself. We're united in this weird world of grief and shock and disbelief that doesn't seem to have a purpose or end. The guilt, the disbelief... my husband has been gone for only 3 months, so it's very sharp and fresh. I had a lot of the same things going on, with his family trying to take control and making me feel weak. I also want to say that I didn't have many friends either, and I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that he was controlling. I just started seeing a counselor, so I'm hoping to dig into that a little. I think the control and isolation is compounding my grief, so you may think about that as you go down the road? Normalize your expectations and give yourself grace by reading comments and threads, and seeing how much of grief hurts us in similar ways. You're not alone, though it feels that way. And please don't fear death. I just started watching an older program that's free on tubitv.com. I'm not necessarily recommending it, because everyone's different, but I'm feeling a lot of rejection and weird stuff, so I wanted to know more about the other side... the show is called "I survived... beyond and back". It's not the one called "I survived" by itself. Anyway, real accounts originally aired on A&E about people's experience dying, going to the other side, and coming back. It's been incredibly healing for me. It's a beautiful place, where you're complete, and there's love and perfect peace. We on this side suffer, and that hurts, but he's better than he's ever been. This life is a journey that doesn't end, it just translates into eternity. I still can't sleep and I have 2 little kids and things are hard, but keep swimming for me. And I'll keep swimming too. <3

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

KimK thank you so much for the show suggestion. I actually just bought a couple of books trying to actually see if there is life after death . I’m trying anything just to see if he is ok . I know it may sound crazy to some people but I find comfort in the things I have read about life after death. Also I know it only has been a couple of weeks but I’m starting to realize how isolated we lived. He was a very jealous man and every time I suggested to meet couples and have friends he would always say that they just cause problems between couples and we didn’t need the drama. We had each other and that’s all we needed. He didn’t let me go anywhere alone, so I find it weird to just go up to the store without telling him we’re I’m going and the reason I have to go. Life now is definitely an adjustment. I pray for all of us that we get threw this the best we can. And I will definitely swim for you!!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Do you have the name of the documentary on Netflix? Any recommendations on books, movies or shows would be greatly appreciated. It’s so crazy I find myself laying in bed wishing he will come see me in my dreams just so I can see him and I haven’t been dreaming. I can’t sleep that well since it happened. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Here's a whole list of books:
Books

I wasn't invited, they live in TN, I live in OR.  Friends did me no good, my two BFs didn't even show up at his funeral!  One friend said George gave him his car to which I replied, "It's too bad he didn't remember he had car payments!"  That was at the hospital right after he died.  Another stole the wedding ring I'd given him as a wedding present, too bad I didn't figure it out sooner so the police could have paid them a visit!  It's hard to have clarity in grief fog.  But I know for a fact where it went.  Another took all his tools from work (thousands of dollars worth), never got them back.  My son made the 3-4 hour round trip to pick them up...for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

KayC thank you so much for the book suggestions. I find myself reading a lot more than I ever have. I’m so sorry that people are so mean especially in your time of need. It’s really crazy how some people have the nerve to do and say things when you’re going through something awful. It’s only been a couple of weeks but I know sooner or later his family is going to want some of the tools his grandfather gave him. At this point nothing matters to me anymore. They can have it all. I just want him back. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
BridgetMcSki

@Ainslie the Netflix documentary is called “surviving death”. There’s 6 episodes in total. Haven’t finished it yet. For me, I need to process and think about things lol as you can see I was the Over thinker and Ryan was in the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members

Bridget that’s exactly how we were. Me the over thinker and Andrew was the one who was the fly by the seat of your pants. Thank you so much for the Netflix recommendation. I will definitely watch it!!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1