• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KayC

• tnd

• Gail 8588

• foreverhis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Kay; I'm so sorry to hear of these issues. Praying that Kodie has no complications and that your truck holds up!

• Like 3

• Members
On 9/21/2021 at 8:21 AM, KayC said:

A few hours later I tried again, they had him restrained and told me what to do, it went well, I felt I had to "get back on the horse" so to speak so I wouldn't be afraid of him. 

KayC:  Sorry you got bit but you are a true animal lover. I give you kudos for going back and trying again. I also give that German Shepherd's owner kudos for adopting the dog but for explaining the dog's behavior and the fact he isn't quite trained yet (young) and needs to be worked with. And...I give the dog's owner kudos for making sure you were alright. Hugs are hard to come by. It is hard going through life feeling so vulnerable. That's how I feel right now but I'd also very much like a hug from someone. No hugs for me I guess because of my lung condition and Covid.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Moderators

I love these neighbors, only known them for two years but they're the best!  They know a LOT about dog training, but just adopted this one and he has a lot of work cut out for him.  My Arlie was turning one when I got him and he'd never been worked with but turned out the greatest dog, however he NEVER would have bit anyone, he got up to 140 lbs and was a great guard dog but all vocal and show!  :D  People didn't know that though. ;)

Truck issues solved except boy do I have a mess under the hood!  My son said, "Well you don't have to rust proof it!" :D

• Like 2

• Members

Life is just so darn cruel sometimes. My husband's sister contacted me yesterday to tell me her husband passed away yesterday from a heart attack. They are only in their early 50's and planned to travel the country in their RV when they retired. They live in Texas but they came for Doug's memorial this past April. Her husband was a beautiful soul and my heart is incredibly sad for his loss and for what my husband's sister will be going through. She has a beautiful soul as well. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

Truck issues solved except boy do I have a mess under the hood!  My son said, "Well you don't have to rust proof it!" :D

KayC:  Good thing your son knows engines and had a keen eye to spot the problem. He saved you some money. Maybe even saved your truck. Car repairs are probably one of the most stressful things that a person can experience. Especially if we don't have a second vehicle or money. I always made my cars last by getting regular maintenance on them. I'm sure that's what you do, too. Forgetting to put an oil cap back on is not maintenance. You've had a lot going on and was probably in a hurry or got distracted. But thank goodness your son spotted the problem. 

When I was younger I would regularly check the fluid in my radiator. My roommate saw me and asked what I was doing. Then I asked her when was the last time she checked hers. She then asked me "What's a radiator?".  

• Like 1

• Members
On 9/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, KayC said:

I had a scare with Kodie, he ate 1/3 of a small cardboard takeout container (never having those around again!) and was listless, whimpering yesterday, wouldn't eat or play, I was seriously worried about obstruction, decided to give it one day to wait/watch, he pooped it out in pieces, I hope nothing is lodge somewhere, but he's pooping peeing, eating, drinking and finally smiling again, pulling on his walks!  I think walking helped, I keep hearing in my mind a vet telling me years ago when Arlie ate a huge container of dog food that walking aids digestion (he couldn't even sit down!) my son and I walked him until midnight!  He pulled through.

Then a scare on my truck, I'd noticed when I drove it that the washer fluid sprayed on passenger side but not driver's side, so I opened the hood and saw oil everywhere, the cap on the engine missing.  I also noticed a couple of tubes hanging open.  After freaking out and jumping to worst case scenario (don't you love anxiety!) I took pictures and sent them to my son...he sent one back with the lid circled (I'd left it off when I'd added oil) and he called and told me the two tubes just need put together and a wire put around it to hold it together so will do that today, but I put it together and it works now, filled oil up, tried wiping things down, don't thiink I'll ever get it all off my hands!  

A day in the life of...

Things we'd never go through if they were still here...

Oh no!  I'm so relieved to hear that Kodie is recovering.  We had a similar thing with our Penny (cat).  I do various types of yarn and floss work. I accidentally dropped a piece of yarn.  Penny thought, "Yum."  She got really lethargic, in pain, etc.  We took her to the vet who did imaging and said the yarn was causing a blockage.  We took her home for surgery prep the next day.  Well, that night she jumped up on the bathroom counter while I was standing there and (sorry this is gross) showed me her bum.  Sure enough, the piece of yarn was starting to work it's way out.  Slowly she got it out of there during the night and expensive surgery was avoided.  And I never, never dropped another piece of yarn or floss, even if I had to get down and hunt for it.

I'm sorry, but I do have to chuckle at your oil cap.  Why?  Because that happened to me years ago.  Fortunately, John noticed that I'd erred before I drove off.  So true that if it happened now, things would have been different.

Yes, every day we face the things we'd never go through if they were still here.  It's still so hard.

• Like 2

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Diane R. E. said:

My husband's sister contacted me yesterday to tell me her husband passed away yesterday from a heart attack.

OMG, that is so hard, George was barely 51 when he died of his.  Does she live nearby you?  I'm sure she'll feel she can relate with you now in a new way.  I'm so sorry that she has to go through this too, none of us wish this on anyone, not even those who deserted us when we went through it.

19 hours ago, tnd said:

She then asked me "What's a radiator?".

:D  Haha!  My daughter has to check her often as it seems to be leaking, she needs to have it checked out but something financial always seems to hit her, she couldn't even run the A/C this summer, it got to 124 here, normally we don't even hit 100!  I offered her $ but she wants to handle it herself.  

18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Fortunately, John noticed that I'd erred before I drove off. 

I tried cleaning up some of it, as it is ALL OVER everything under the hood!  Even the front of the truck!  (There's something that spins in the engine and throws it everywhere)  I don't think I'll ever get it all out of my skin and under my nails!  Not a mistake I'll likely ever make again.

So now my sister Peggy seems to think she won't need a caregiver once she gets through with the eye appts.  And now my neighbor wants ME to take her to her cancer surgery and chemo treatments (120 mile round trips) and I can't drive at night and the days are getting shorter.

Beat head on wall...again.

• Hugs 3

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I tried cleaning up some of it, as it is ALL OVER everything under the hood!  Even the front of the truck!  (There's something that spins in the engine and throws it everywhere)  I don't think I'll ever get it all out of my skin and under my nails!  Not a mistake I'll likely ever make again.

We had an oil leak once that did that exact same thing!  John spotted it and got the car to our mechanic.  Of course, they fixed what was wrong (don't remember what).  Then they "steam cleaned" the engine so the oil wouldn't interfere or make more of a mess.  Is that something you might be able to have done at some point?

What a PITA!

• Like 3

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

So now my sister Peggy seems to think she won't need a caregiver once she gets through with the eye appts.  And now my neighbor wants ME to take her to her cancer surgery and chemo treatments (120 mile round trips) and I can't drive at night and the days are getting shorter.

KayC:  No, no, no. They can't expect you to do that. It's your decision but I sure hope you tell them as much as you'd like to, you can't. I'm sure your neighbor will understand but your sister might be another story. 

• Like 2

• Members
7 hours ago, KayC said:

And now my neighbor wants ME to take her to her cancer surgery and chemo treatments (120 mile round trips) and I can't drive at night and the days are getting shorter.

I'm 100% with @tnd on this!!!  I'd "shout" it at you, if that wasn't a rude thing to do.

We know you know and we know you are venting, but I also want to help you stop banging your head against the wall by making sure you know we support you.

• Like 3

• Members
44 minutes ago, foreverhis said:

Then they "steam cleaned" the engine so the oil wouldn't interfere or make more of a mess.

KayC:  I wonder if you could take it to a car wash and use a power washer on it. Maybe ask your son first. You don't want to get the distributor cap wet.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

My son didn't think it'd be problematic, I've wiped a lot of it off, IDK.  Sometimes I'm afraid to take vehicles in for fear of them causing MORE problems!  I'll ask a couple of people I know what they think, seeing it for themselves would help.  It's an 89 Nissan so nothing computerized on it...

• Like 1

• Moderators

My son said the only thing to look out for is if a belt starts slipping/squealing, then make sure to clean it off of it.

It doesn't seem to quit with me...
I went to take care of my grandkids (3 hours away)  yesterday, got surprised by a new dog who is VICIOUS and went through hell, Kodie could have been killed, I was terrified for him, but fortunately it was ME that got attacked instead.  I ended up driving myself to the hospital hours away and spent the night in there, getting home at 1:30 am, Kodie stuck in the car alone.  I have seven punctures and a lot of bruising, lacerations up to an inch, all on my left thumb and below it, my hand is 1 1/2 times it's normal size.  They're going to get rid of the dog, apparently he nipped Bethany too but he has aggression issues.  Kodie tried to stand up for me when he saw what the dog's intent was, I threw him back up onto the washer and commanded him to STAY, then the dog struck, so glad it wasn't Kodie, it would have been fatal for him.  And glad my grandkids are okay, although normally dogs know their pecking order in a family and know it'd not go well for them if they hurt the kids...evidently he didn't apply that to me, he doesn't know me.  He is one of the most beautiful dogs I've seen, Husky, usually they're not aggressive, don't know what's been in his background, he's ten months old, looks about 70 lbs.  It left me having to drive in the dark, which I haven't done in 8 1/2 years!  Can't get my hand wet and it hurts like hades.  8th dog bite inside two years!  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3

• Members

Oh my goodness Kay, when are things ever going to stop for you? I am so sorry about this latest incident and the pain/swelling you have to endure. It's so sweet that Kodie wanted to protect you! The dog must have had some trauma in his past but he still shouldn't attack without being provoked. My rescue cat is doing so well - she only ever bit as a reaction to something and now with my working with her she hasn't bit me for many weeks. She loves to be next to me and I've learned when and when not to pet her. I hope your hand heals quickly! 

• Like 4

• Moderators

I am so glad your kitty is turning out well for you!  I don't think I'd take a chance with a dog that aggressive w/o preparing to keep him segregated from company unless/until you've worked with him extensively and unless you have no little kids or dogs.  He'd wanted to "surprise me" with the dog...he did!

I'm always talking about "looking for the good" where you can find it, nothing too small or trivial to count, and today's comic reminded me of that!  :D

Luann.JPG

• Like 3

• Members
On 9/26/2021 at 1:12 PM, KayC said:

yesterday, got surprised by a new dog who is VICIOUS and went through hell,

KayC:  YIKES!!! I am SO sorry you were attacked. And no, Huskies are NOT normally aggressive. They like to growl if threatened but to bite and attack I'd say is rare. I grew up with a Husky. Never bit anyone and little kids could even pull his tail and ears and he never bit. My guess is that this Husky is a mix or maybe even a hybrid....wolf hybrid? Those are illegal. They have to get rid of that dog. Once they become biters it is very hard, nearly impossible to break them of that habit and it cannot be tolerated. Francis and her husband have 2 German Shepherds in the back yard. They've had them since they were puppies and are 3 years old now. One is vicious and bites people. They say they are "guard dogs". They warned me to never try petting them or go into the back yard. Okay, I have no problem with that. But if they've had them since puppies, that means they've allowed the one to be a biter and that I don't agree with. I actually feel sorry for their dogs, no human interaction except with Francis's husband and that's it. But too late now, the biter will always be a biter. 

I hope you follow-up with a doctor on your bite wound. Hope they gave you antibiotics because that will actually help with the swelling. Man, cannot believe this happened to you! 

• Like 3

• Members
8 hours ago, KayC said:

Gluing on the largest laceration did not take, it's open...can't get an appt. with doctor. :(

Kay, I hope you can at least bandage it nice so it doesn't bleed. How about a walk in clinic or some urgent care centre to have it checked out?

• Like 3

• Moderators

My son is searching for a new owner for the dog, it will not be easy, somewhere without children/pets and owners who are trainers or live in large city with dog psychologist (yes it's a thing) we only have them in Portland, nowhere in the smaller towns, not even Eugene or Salem.  I feel bad, the dog is so beautiful but I don't want to see him again.  It is a horrific memory.  Went to doctor yesterday and they didn't do anything, I discovered a laceration that was missed plus two others (including the largest, on my knuckle) did not glue as bled profusely so open wounds, I can't get my hand wet or lift anything.  Cooking/dishes/showers will be a challenge.  I can't get my fire handlers gloves on because of too much swelling, had to build a fire yesterday as temps dropped 40 degrees this week.

I wish I had a picture of the dog, he's beautiful, probably the most beautiful husky I've seen, black and white, tail full and curled, blue eyes with black eyeliner all around them, freckles on his face!  He looks for sure a purebred Husky.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Kay, 

I am so sorry you have been hit with another trauma.  Living alone is so much work and you really do need your hands to do what has to be done.  It makes you want to just cry when you are doing all you can and then wham, you are hit with something like this that makes life even harder. 

I know your son feels terrible about it. 

Hoping for a quick recovery.   

Loved the "all the socks matched" dance!

Gail

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thank you, Gail.  I've had all kinds of responses, one person who wanted me to sue, another who came up here and talked about their life for three hours non-stop.  Doctor's office just called and wanted me to do a post-hospital visit, I told them I already did that Monday morning and they got curt, very strange.  I just want to decompress and heal with my Kodie.  I've been non-stop ever since this happened, hoping for some down time to regroup and focus on healing.

• Hugs 2

• Members
10 hours ago, KayC said:

Thank you, Gail.  I've had all kinds of responses, one person who wanted me to sue, another who came up here and talked about their life for three hours non-stop.  Doctor's office just called and wanted me to do a post-hospital visit, I told them I already did that Monday morning and they got curt, very strange.  I just want to decompress and heal with my Kodie.  I've been non-stop ever since this happened, hoping for some down time to regroup and focus on healing.

Well, obviously I wouldn't go right to "sue," but I've been mulling this around in my head.  I'm going to say it and then shut up about it.  I know your DIL is...challenging...and doesn't consider you, your feelings, or your needs terribly important.  I am really angry that she (and by extension, your son) didn't warn you that their new Husky had already nipped her and has aggression issues.  She had to have known your stress over multiple dog bites, one bad one so recently, and your concern over Kodie's safety.  Why on God's green earth did she and your son not warn you?  It's irresponsible at best and intentional at worst.  Why didn't they introduce you to him properly and make sure he understood your place in the pack hierarchy?  Why did they put you at such risk?

With children in the home, nipping/biting your DIL should have been a deal breaker.  And this is coming from someone who believes wholeheartedly that new pets need to have a period of adjustment before any decisions are made.  I am just so bothered by this that I had to say something.

It's distressing that they treated your wounds so poorly.  You have enough long-term problems with your hands, you do not need anything more.  Definitely consider asking for (no, demanding) a second course of antibiotics.  Your body is fighting hard right now and needs all the help it can get! 

As for the good bacteria, I know you can't/don't have dairy (if I'm remembering correctly).  I would normally recommend kefir, but that's dairy based.  It's way better than even the best yogurt.  In fact, one of our local hospitals did a "test" and gave all in-patients who were on antibiotics (and who could eat) a small serving of kefir with every meal.  It came with a note that said basically, "Even if you're not hungry or don't finish your meal, it's important for you to drink this kefir."  After 6 months, their C-Dif cases had dropped by more than 50%.  I started John on it every time he needed antibiotics for his urinary infections.  It helped so much.  I recommended it to a friend who had IBS.  She's been drinking 2 oz each morning and 1 oz in the evening every day for nearly 2 years and has had only a few flare ups in that time.

I recently discovered that there are now non-dairy based kefir products available.  If you can find one that has ingredients you are allowed to have, I urge you to buy some.  Of course, high-quality probiotic capsules help too.

I'm thinking about you and praying that you recover well and do not have more challenges thrown your way!  You've had enough! ((HUGS))

• Like 4

• Moderators

I don't think I can handle more antibiotics, it's making me truly miserable, even with Gas-X, I can't sleep it hurts so bad!  Seven of the eight lacerations are NOT glued shut, so open wounds to protect with Neosporin and Band-aids, had to order more yesterday from WM.  Not much in the way of shopping locally.  Takes 4 bandaids at a time to cover my bases.  I'm not able to do much cooking/dishes and have to be so careful!  Cannot use hand for any intent and purposes.  I hate Augmentin!  I took it years ago but didn't remember what it was like.  My ins. won't cover the one local pharmacy and driving is too hard right now, seems I steer with my left hand, nothing to rest my right arm on to use it.

I understand your comments and believe me I've wondered the same things!  Nothing was handled right.

I eat Greek yogurt every day, also a T. of Hummus for gut health and am on Probiotics, I eat super healthy so will fight the damage antibiotics does to my gut bacteria naturally, also take Apple Cider Vinegar with every meal along with supplements.

I did NOT need this additional trauma, for sure!

• Hugs 2

• Members
On 9/29/2021 at 11:14 AM, KayC said:

I just want to decompress and heal with my Kodie.  I've been non-stop ever since this happened, hoping for some down time to regroup and focus on healing.

KayC:  As they say, you've been put through the wars. I'm sorry. *hugs*  Hope you are able to decompress today. Shut out everything and lay back and relax with Kodie. 

• Like 1

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

I don't think I can handle more antibiotics, it's making me truly miserable, even with Gas-X, I can't sleep it hurts so bad! 

Oh dear.  I had Augmentin for infection after a root canal.  Sure, it cured the infection, but I went through the horrible intestinal phase on top of jaw pain, so I get why you would say no to a second round.  If you do show signs of infection, maybe they will culture it to target a specific antibiotic instead of something that's not just broad spectrum, but boosted with a second ingredient.

I don't know why I was thinking you don't eat dairy.  Oh well, that's brain fog at its finest.  It's good that you are doing all the things you're supposed to do, but that stuff is nasty. 

I felt kind of bad voicing my anger and concerns before, which is why I waited a few days to make sure it was the right thing to do.  I mean, this is your family.  OTOH, you've relayed some to the rude, uncaring, selfish behavior of your DIL and my brain couldn't let go of the idea that maybe part of her wanted something bad to happen.  I should have known that you'd have been wondering too.

Indeed, what you need right now is to decompress, forget about other people's problems, love and cuddle Kodie and let him take care of you, and just heal.  ((HUGS))

• Like 3

• Members
6 hours ago, KayC said:

It seems everyone else does what they want with no regard for ME! 

KayC:  am so sorry you are going through all this and pain. I know the feeling and it sucks. Makes me feel like I don't exist or am just merely taking up space. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

I changed my band-aids again as soon as he left, been using rubbing alcohol to clean as peroxide damages the tissue.

KayC:  You're right. Peroxide kills skin cells. My husband's Endocrinologist had told me that. But I think rubbing alcohol may have too much of a drying effect in this case. You might ask your doctor but maybe Hydrogel ($11.99 on amazon) or Aloe Vera gel would help it heal. I have Sarcoidosis of the skin and it once left lesions on the front of my lower calf. No joke, the thickness of a banana peel fell off my leg and left a very open, bleeding, raw wound. Doctor at first thought it was Cellulitis. Anyways, I got to reading and to my surprise, they are using a lot of "moist wound therapy" these days. And Hydrogel. I bought a bottle of saline to rinse it and then applied the Hydrogel and gauze. Because of the size of the wound, about the size of the palm of my hand, it took a while but did finally heal and grow new skin. I had to slough off dead skin every day when I rinsed with the saline but eventually new growth started. By the time I ended up in the hospital because of lung Sarc, a wound specialist came to see my leg, Other than being bright pink, there was new skin growing and no lesion. Told her what I had done. She was impressed and didn't need to do anything further to the wound. She gave me some moisturizer and my leg was fine. And then I found out I had Sarcoidosis. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm allergic to Aloe Vera so that's out, when I worked for a doctor he recommended rubbing alcohol, I think it'd be GOOD to dry it out a bit.  My dermatologist recommends peroxide, she's off base.

I'll be going back to my doctor and getting the dreaded antibiotic renewed.  Will call as sooon as they open tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members
3 hours ago, KayC said:

Kodie sensed the dog's aggression/viciousness and reacted to it, yes, turns out he was right! 

KayC:  If my dog didn't like someone or another dog, his fur would stand up and tail would become erect. One time as I was walking him a giant pit bull ran up to us (unleashed, no owner in sight). Of course my dog's fur/tail stood up. I tightened my dog's leash and told him to be still. The pit bull came up to us and sniffed. I kept telling my dog to be still and that it was okay. I just stood there with my dog, making like a statue. Then suddenly a young man came running around the corner, shouting that his dog is blind and that she doesn't bite. Thank goodness! So I told my dog that it was okay and my dog relaxed. I don't know why the guy didn't have his dog on a leash, I didn't ask but was relieved to know she was friendly. Anyways, my point is, is that my dog sensed danger but when I told him it was alright, he understood and stayed calm. Dogs know to look out and listen to their owners.  

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

I couldn't reassure Kodie because I sensed danger as well and it'd be his LIFE if the dog were allowed to attack him.  Kodie was alarmed!  More than, terrified, me too, my son came blame us all he wants, there's a reason this dog keeps getting rehomed.  I choose not to be around him and definitely never want Kodie subjected to that again.  When another dog is vicious and threatening AND four times your dog's size, not the time to reassure them, it's time to get them the hell out of there!  And I couldn't.  I am angry about the situation we were placed in, how everything was handled, how there was no safety for us, nor were we warned and allowed to make a comprehensive decision for ourselves.  I'm angry that he doesn't seem to care.  I'm upset that my son has changed this much, that his wife seems to influence him without regard to me or anyone else.  I can't even talk to him about it, I don't want to subject myself to more gaslighting, invalidating.

I have another scare, Covid, my pastor has it and so does an elder I talked to Sunday, I'm on the platform with the pastor leading singing although distanced apart.  I'm up on my shots but it still scares me, esp. that I saw my sister Wednesday, she has severe COPD and I can't see her living through it.  I'm not mentioning anything to my family as I don't want to scare them but have to stay home from church, my BP is up since I found out.  Pastor and elder are not vaccinated and got it from elder's wife, the church secretary, who has it but tested negative...twice.  What will be will be, all I can do is continue to take care of myself.  I ordered some Quercetin and already take zinc and started back on Bromelain.  I already eat healthy and walk every day.  There goes seeing my friend this week.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

Oh Kay; I am sorry you have been exposed to Covid! I pray that between the vaccine and your healthy lifestyle that you will be ok. (Don't get me started on people who refuse to get vaccinated.)

• Like 2

• Moderators

There are so many unvaccinated here and with the breakthroughs and Delta being so highly contagious, it is scary, my BP was up about 20 pts the last two days but today was great! 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
On 10/10/2021 at 8:58 AM, KayC said:

I'm upset that my son has changed this much, that his wife seems to influence him without regard to me or anyone else.

KayC:  This is exactly what I think happened to my brother. He's been rude to everyone. Both of them have been. Even to my mother when she was still alive. She didn't cut him off but I noticed she stopped calling or visiting him. Hopefully it won't come to that in your case but seems wicked people hold some sort of control over people. Even family members we use to get along with. It's sad but also very angering and hurtful. It is what it is. 

On 10/10/2021 at 8:58 AM, KayC said:

I have another scare, Covid, my pastor has it and so does an elder I talked to Sunday,

KayC:  I pray you don't have Covid. I will say a lot of prayers for you (and Kodie too). 

• Like 2

• Members

Kay, I am praying you are spared COVID on top of everything else.  I know it's not my place, but I am so angry with your son right now.  I know your DIL has been a difficult challenge for a long time, but your son's behavior, his gaslighting and lack of concern and ignoring you, is just too much. 

I know you want to maintain your relationship with him and your grandchildren, but for right now, please, please, just focus on you and what you need to heal physically and emotionally.  Let Kodie love you and comfort you.  I think that will help him get through the trauma because he wasn't able/allowed to protect you from the vicious dog that would have killed him.  If you let him "take care of you" now, it may help settle him too.

((HUGS)) for today and every day.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I am doing that, foreverhis, and tnd I am staying in.  There are a lot of people I know with Covid right now, yet the town held an event yesterday that was in the local news, and I noticed in the picture, not one person was wearing a mask!  Good time to stay in.

18 hours ago, foreverhis said:

Let Kodie love you and comfort you.  I think that will help him get through the trauma because he wasn't able/allowed to protect you from the vicious dog that would have killed him.  If you let him "take care of you" now, it may help settle him too.

I hadn't looked at it that way but you're right.  I hadn't thought about this being of help to him.  I know he had to feel emasculated, helpless in the worst way.  It affected him even more than his being viciously attacked by that other dog a few months ago.  He is hyper-vigilant about dogs wanting to get at us now, whereas he used to be so self-assured.  His innocent destroyed.  :(

And thank you for your prayers, tnd.

• Hugs 2

• Members
5 hours ago, KayC said:

How blessed I am to live in such a paradise!

KayC:  It does sound like you live in paradise. What you wrote is beautiful. Being out in the country and with nature is always a great escape because you can't help but to enjoy it and not think of anything else. Especially if you have a dog for a companion. 

I am sure the "beautiful" and caring person in you is helping your neighbor friend. Especially if her cancer treatment gets rough. She may not be up to walks then but spending time with her and just being there for her will go a long ways I'm sure. I know on the days when I don't feel well that I find it hard to be around people, let alone do anything. Maybe some soft music while your friend rests will help her. I wish I had some ear buds and could listen to Enya when I feel like staying in bed. I'm putting that on my "To Do" list. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I love Enya.  Could you listen to it even w/o earbuds?  I don't like things in my ears...

My neighbor may need rides for her chemo, it's about 60 miles away from here and she may be too sick to drive then.  Or maybe getting groceries as she may not be up to it and her husband is blind so he can't do these things for her.  Right now he is sick with the flu (at least I HOPE it's not Covid!)

Today would have been George and my 20th anniversary..."Sweetest Day," no one remembers it but me.  To me, he is never forgotten.

• Hugs 4

• Members

Kay; I'm thinking of you and George today on your anniversary. I know George is with you today and every day, I just wish he could be here in person to celebrate the love you share and your deep commitment to each other. (((Hugs)))

• Like 3

• Members
4 hours ago, KayC said:

I love Enya.  Could you listen to it even w/o earbuds?  I don't like things in my ears...

KayC:  I don't really need ear buds but might hear it better as my hearing is getting wonky. I use to have a few Enya cd's but over the years they've disappeared. Hope to get more , maybe after I get my own place. 

4 hours ago, KayC said:

Today would have been George and my 20th anniversary..."Sweetest Day," no one remembers it but me.  To me, he is never forgotten.

KayC:  Happy Anniversary! I hope it is okay to say that... I intend to always remember and maybe even celebrate the day my husband and I married. Why not, right? It was certainly a memorable day for us. It didn't exactly go right but was full of laughs and made for the best memories and story to tell. I hope you found comfort remembering yours. After all, I think we'd both agree that we married the most perfect men there ever could be for us! 

• Like 1

• Members
16 hours ago, KayC said:

He was indeed the perfect man for me.  I hope he knows I feel that still.

I have faith that he does and that someday you will be reunited.  I believe that he and Arlie will be waiting for you with open arms (well, paws for Arlie) and hearts.  Aside from any act of faith, the plain fact is that you deserve to spend eternity in George's loving arms with Arlie by your side. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Last night I found out Iris' husband Mike has Covid.  She called and he can't even walk without assistance.  She's supposed to have her port put in and start chemo next week.  He won't be able to make his eye appt for his corneal transplant, she's still counting the days to the end of his quarantine...???  umm, no, it's wait until he recovers and tests negative!  I think she can't admit to herself how sick he is.  He may need to be hospitalized.  I hope he's getting enough liquid/nutrition.  He looks like death, I saw him through the patio door.  I take my temp. every day.  I changed my doctor's appt today to a phone visit.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2

• Members
On 10/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, KayC said:

it's wait until he recovers and tests negative!  I think she can't admit to herself how sick he is.  He may need to be hospitalized.

KayC:  Please be very careful. I know you want to help your neighbor but I'm sure she will understand if you need to stay away because of Mike having Covid. 

• Like 1