Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cat death

Louise jade

• Members
Louise jade

Hi I was looking for some advice/support.

2 days ago I lost my little cat he was only 8 months old and meant the world to me. I’m struggling so much with the way he died. He was hit by a car outside my house early morning I can’t say a time that he was hit however a lovely lady saw him at 6:35 am and got him in her car to take to the nearest vets. The part I’m struggling with is that when she found him he had severe facial injuries but was still breathing. She said that he was breathing blood in and out of his mouth. He got to the vets and died shortly after but I have so many questions. How long was he there alive before she got to her? Was it inevitable that he was going to die or could he have been saved? When I got to the vets I asked if he was dead and they said he didn’t die right away that his eye injury was helping him along the way I just don’t get why they didn’t try and save him? How did they know that they couldn’t help him when no tests were done? I understand that he must have been quite out of it by letting a random person pick him up and hold him all the way to the vets but I can’t help but think that he could have been saved why was he still breathing and could they have done something I miss him so much and I can’t cope with the guilt I have for not getting to him and for the fact that he lay alive for so long any thoughts would be much appreciated 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss, I know the pain for I've lost too many over my lifetime.  15 cats and 9 dogs.  I can understand their injuries being beyond saving, but I think our minds just grasp for anything to save them, because we're desperate to and this so fights against our grain!  I once found a dog that had been hit by a car and left to die, his eyes pleaded with me to help him and nothing I could do, the only vet in town wasn't answering their phone yet, I found a cop and begged his help, and he shot him, right in front of me.  It haunted me for years, I went to work bawling, I will never forget that dog.  Perhaps it was the kindest thing he could do, but I can't help but feel if he'd just helped me get to the vet we could have banged on the door until someone came and helped him!  That is always our hope.  To have that animal be YOURS only adds volumes to the pain.  I've seen one of my dogs go out in full blown fear, fighting it, and my sweet Arlie they botched his euthanasia, causing him tremendous pain as he died.  It's hard to live with that thought.  I know our minds go to all of the what ifs in a way of trying to find a different possible outcome, only there are none save the one that happened.  Your poor kitty, I hope some peace and comfort come your way.

Comfort for Grieving Animal Lovers

• Members

I am so so sorry to read this. I think most vets will try to save an animal if they can. It sounds like it was very serious and he probably had major internal injuries.

It's horribly painful to think that putting him down was the best option but to ease suffering -- it may have been.

I lost my cat very suddenly in a horrific way, he was violently ill. I finally had to let the vet put him down. I wished it were different but it was the humane thing to do. I know you are devastated, my heart goes out to you. 

• Like 1