Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

A Letter To My Missing Cat

Matt_F

• Members

I guess we can't go through life without a little tragedy entering into it now and then.

My beloved pet cat went missing about 10 days ago. He was very much an outside cat but would always come back every day for meals and sleep time. I fear the worst as he simply vanished without a trace.

I've quietly become more devastated as the days have gone by, and I'm now in deep grief. My family seems to be handling it better than me, but if they see me teary eyed (happening a lot lately) they know why. I am thinking about him.

People don't realise how devastating it can be to lose a pet, especially when it's unexpected, it's like losing a person.

His name was Mutzie (pronounced Mootzie, Mutza is "Cat" in Slovenian, my wife is Slovenian and she named him).

Here is a letter I wrote for him, which I will be reading to my family tonight (I'm not a very elegant writer but I wrote it from the heart).

Dear Mutzi,

We rescued you from outside nearly 5 years ago as a scared little kitten.
Since then we took care of you and made you a part of our family.
Mutzi we miss you. We never thought the day would come so soon that you would be gone.
We miss you sleeping on our beds, or on mom. We miss you waiting patiently for your food, or sometimes eating from our plates.
We miss you climbing onto the windowsills, and on the balcony edge, and sunning yourself on the trampoline.
We miss your purring everytime we stroked you, we miss your silky grey coat. We miss you tapping on the door handle to let you in at any time of day or night.
We miss your meowing and even your hissing and growling at Bamba (our other cat). And many other things that we will recall in the time ahead.
You were a faithful cat who always came back to eat and rest and knew that your home was here.
You were a wonderful pet and a beautiful animal. You were not just a cat,
you were a part of our family and grew up with my son and daughter.
Your absence has left a huge space in our hearts. You were part of my kids childhood, and now that you’re gone, a part of their childhood has gone too.
One day you disappeared, but we will always be waiting for your return, we are always listening for you jumping up to tap on the door handle to let you in.
We don’t know where you are, but we hope you are OK and we are grateful for the memories you have given us.

Mutzi we love you and miss you very much. We’re waiting for you to come back home. We will remember you always.

Love, your family. Mom, Dad, N and L.

0-02-05-419f4c4b39e17915be4bad96153261ad4b64d7a0d8b9aa8616ebcbc2f37b748d_full.jpg.3a529daec01860864fa82574d330756f.jpg

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss.  It can be hard to process the fact that they're here and then just gone, so hard to wrap our minds around it.  As well as getting used to the daily habits being no more, now a reminder of their absence.  I lost my soulmate in a dog, Arlie 8/16/19 and 25 year old Kitty 1/6/20, I don't think there is getting over them, just trying to learn to live with the changes it means for our lives.  I look forward to being with them again...still talk to them.  If that makes me crazy, oh well!

I hope this video brings you some comfort and peace...

• Members

@Kay C thank you for your kind words. You are totally right. One day he just vanished and I never got to say goodbye. It was so unexpected, it’s hard to process that and it will take me a while. I thought we would have at least another 10 good years. I guess he just went outside one time too many and his luck ran out. Just trying to get through it one day at a time.

• Moderators

I've had this happen with two cats...Autumn I think went off to die, she was 14 and very arthritic.  I wish I could have buried her on our property, never found her or got to say goodbye.  Miss Mocha was in great health, age unknown, she was a young adult (I think) when I got her and I had her 10 1/2 years.  She never would have left of her own accord, she was healthy, I think a cougar got her.  I was outside all day and never heard a thing.  They catch them unawares, grab them from behind so they don't know get a chance to realize what's happening.  My hope is she was in shock and it protected her from what ensued.  It's been nearly five years now and I still miss her.  I looked everywhere, called, asked neighbors to check their garages, no one saw/heard a thing.  I got a memorial stone for her, but wish I could have had her remains to bury.  It's so hard.  Matt, I know what it's like, so hard.  Way different than when I lost Kitty at age 25, it was her time and I'd given her a good life, she hadn't had one before I met her so I felt good that I gave her a good retirement home.

• Members

What a nice letter. The not knowing has got to be awful and distressing. I still hope for you but and I'm sure you've searched everywhere. I am so so sorry. :(

• Members

I'm so sorry to read this. What a lovely letter, so missed, it's heartbreaking. You're right in that some people don't realise what it's like to lose a beloved pet. The bond is special, pure unconditional love. I hope you find peace soon. This is a very nice forum if you feel you need to talk, we all totally understand. 

• Members
itsaratrace

I am sooo very sorry for your loss. Never give up! Have you checked the shelters? Put up "lost cat" flyers? If you are on FB, did you post him on there? When I was a teenager we lived on a farm. I had the coolest cat around, but one day he just never came home. I can't remember now how long he was gone, but he showed up finally, months later. Don't give up hope! Keep looking! Even on places likePetFinders, or more local places. Look up "lost pet registries" and post him on there. With social media and the internet, you can really get him out there. It may take a month, a year, or more, but he may show up somewhere, so be on the look out. I really hope you find him. I panic when any of my crew goes missing for even a minute, so I understand how hard it is.

• Members

Thank you all for the support!

I am feeling a bit better this week. I'm learning to accept the loss somewhat. I'm still feeling unsettled and sad of course, and it will take a while to work that out.

I'll just take it day-by-day.

Archived