Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Another Tough Holiday

Sparky1

• Members

Tomorrow will be a tough day for me. Usually on Easter Sunday my wife would have everyone over for a big lunch. We would start cooking early in the morning and by early afternoon we'd all be ready to sit down to eat and spend quality time with the family.

Instead, I'll be at my MILs house with only one of the kids coming over. I'm grateful for at least that. As I'll sit there at the table, the only thing I'll be thinking about is the empty chair where my wife should be. Her presence lit up any place she went, and now it will be a sombre get together.

I miss her so much and I still can't believe that she's gone. It's definitely not getting any easier, and I don't think I will ever get used to her not being here physically.

• Members

Sparky1  I am so very sorry. It is heartbreaking. I know exactly how you feel. My husband was always the life and soul of any gathering. He had the ability to talk to anybody about anything. He was fun to be around.

I can't believe he is gone and somehow it's more than just denial. It is just so nonsensical and I know I will never get used to it. Sometimes I talk to him but I always end up in tears. I miss him more than I can bear.

We didn't have get togethers at Easter, we have no family in this country but I can appreciate how you feel. I have avoided all holidays so far but his birthday is just a week away and I know I can't ignore it. Somehow I have to make the day a tribute to him. I hope you can make tomorrow a tribute to your wife.

Hugs!

• Moderators

Sorry to both of you - I can relate. Holidays alone are pretty commonplace for me now. Tomorrow (today) is another. Here's to better days!

• Members
12 hours ago, Sparky1 said:

I miss her so much and I still can't believe that she's gone. It's definitely not getting any easier, and I don't think I will ever get used to her not being here physically.

Hi Sparky, I totally get how you're feeling. I lost my woman in November, but the pain is so raw that 5 months may as well be 5 minutes. She was only 54. I don't know if you believe in God, but for me, it's my faith that keeps me going. Faith is blind, that much is true. But I'm convinced that we'll be together again one day. Stay strong. Sending you blessings at Easter.

• Members
8 hours ago, LMR said:

I can't believe he is gone and somehow it's more than just denial. It is just so nonsensical and I know I will never get used to it. Sometimes I talk to him but I always end up in tears. I miss him more than I can bear.

Hi LMR, I talk to my woman too. Every day in fact. I know she can hear me, and she is waiting for me. I'm convinced that one day we'll be reunited and you will also be reunited with your man. Keep the faith and never stop believing. God bless you at Easter.

• Moderators

My heart goes out to each of you here, I know all too well how tough the holidays are...they still are for me after all these years.  I used to have my kids up but my son said his wife wanted to take over the hosting when they got married, well now she's decided to go to her sister's instead so that leaves me alone but at least my daughter will come up for dinner.  Tough year for her too as her husband is getting a divorce...as soon as courts resume (they've stopped processing for the last 13 months so she's in limbo).

• Members
2 hours ago, ScotJ65 said:

I don't know if you believe in God, but for me, it's my faith that keeps me going.

Oh yes, ScotJ65, He is my rock that supports me. Without this faith, I don't think I'd be here right now. Life is not easy, and losing my wife has devastated me but there's not much I can do other than to just inch along in life. Like we say, one day at a time, even one inch at a time. One day when it's my turn, I can once again be with my wife.

• Members

So yesterday was his birthday. It turned out to be one of the best days I've had. I wanted to do a sky lantern but discovered they are illegal here on account of the brush fire risk so I decided to make some mini kites from tissue paper. They turned out pretty good. I wrote messages on them and I wanted them to float away. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to fly high enough, not enough wind. No matter, I walked about for a while with them billowing around me, it still felt good and I can release them later. My nephew did a similar thing with tea lights that he floated down the river. He sent me photos and it looked really pretty. (He is a few thousand miles away from me).

I had lots of emails from his friends in the morning. It was lovely to know they were all thinking of him. Later a friend and I went to his favorite coffee shop where we joined up with another couple. We laughed, we cried, we hugged. We drank two bottles of wine.  It was good. My husband would have really loved it. He was with us in spirit.

• Moderators

Wow!  That's amazing!  I am so glad it went well.  What a wonderful tribute to him!

Archived