Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I've lost so much in the past few years

Carol Klotz

• Members
Carol Klotz

I'm an only child. In 2004 and 2006, I lost my dad and my mom. In 2017, I lost my husband. A social worker talked me into moving from my own apartment to a personal care home. In the process, I lost my car and all my possessions, including my furniture, my computer, my TV and stereo, and my engagement ring. By 2021, I still was not over grieving all those losses. The personal care home, where I at least had my own room which was big enough to stretch out my yoga mat and do yoga every day. I had acquired a new TV and about 60 yoga dvds to help me practice. In March 2021, the personal care home closed. I had the choice to go to another personal care home or my own apartment. Not having any furniture, I chose to go to another personal care home. Big mistake. The bed is lumpy. There's no room to stretch out my yoga mat. I hate the food. I hate the mealtimes: lunch is at 11 AM and dinner is at 3:30 PM. I can't wait to get out of here. I want my independence but I'm 65 years old now. I don't know that I can handle carrying my laundry to the laundry room and buying a week's worth of groceries at a time. I'm scared of being lonely. I used to go to support group meetings but without my car, and the current COVID climate, that doesn't seem possible anymore. I miss my husband and the companionship of marriage. No, I don't belong to a church. I'm not a Christian. I have a therapist who I meet with once a week but it doesn't seem like my life is getting any better, or that she is helping me anymore. I miss going to state parks on Sundays with my husband. I have no transportation. It's been months since I've been out of this house except to go to doctor's appointments. I have no life and not much hope of ever having one again. I know I need some people in my life but this isn't even my hometown. I never felt at home here and would give alot to move back to my hometown, which is 85 miles away. I had a sense of belonging there that I never had here. The local mental health agency closed my case against my wishes and when I called them back I need to wait 2 weeks for an appointment just to talk to somebody for an hour. I don't know what to do. And I have health problems: arthritis in both knees so I wake up in pain every morning. I take medication for that but it seems like it's not working as well as it used to. I'm also diabetic and am finding the diet they're feeding me is not the fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains that I should have. Now it looks like I'll be looking into moving to my own apartment, if I can manage that, and I'm not so sure I can.

• Angel Wings 1

• Members

Dear Carol,

I'm sorry to hear how you are feeling and all the things you are going through. It's very hard.

Please know you are not alone. There are many good support groups online right now and some on Facebook. 

This website Grief in Common offers Zoom support groups and one on one support.

I hope your social worker or other community supports can help you make a choice where you are comfortable and happy.

Thinking of you.

• Members

Deat Carol,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I want to give you a hug.  I am in a similiar situation where I have to live in a strange city I don't belong to (in order to take care of my mother), and there is no way out.

I have no friends here, and I don't like the people around here,  but I have no choice.  I live day to day with no hope.  I don't get along with my mother, but I still have to do my duty as a son.  After this, I can be finally live my own life, but I may be too old then.  

Thanks to the previous poster.  I maybe trying out the zoom support group on Zoom.  I am a introvert and quiet person, and now I am even too depressed to speak, it doesn't matter if I speak or not anymore.  But at least I can listen on Zoom meeting sessions.  Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Carol Klotz

Thanks for reaching out. Your situation does sound alot like mine. I too am an introvert and quiet person. I may also check out the zoom support group. The WiFi where I live now is terrible--yesterday I couldn't even have an online session with my therapist. I just want to get out of here but because my former landlord charged me almost $4,000 to get rid of my possessions in my apartment, something I didn't even find out about until after the fact, and I have to start paying it back even though I'm on Social Security. That situation is going to make it harder for me to get another apartment. I have alot of grief over losing all my possessions as well as my car. I feel hopeless about my future right now.

• Members

Hello Carol  … I’ll be praying for you. Please don’t lose hope. Hugs, Steve. 

• Members

I am still in that same personal care home. I owe them $4800 in back rent. I applied for rent assistance but was told that I was not eligible since I live in a personal care home, and there is no rent assistance for assisted living. I've been evicted and have to move out by August 28. I have to pass muster to be admitted to a local women's shelter. I hope I get in because it seems like they help the residents. My attorney says I will have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of my debts on my credit record to be able to get into subsidized housing.

• Like 1

• Members

I'm so sorry to hear this news Carol. I truly hope a social worker and your attorney can find you the supports you need.

Please know we are here and thinking of you.

• Like 1

• Members
On 8/18/2021 at 12:39 AM, Carol Klotz said:

I am still in that same personal care home. I owe them $4800 in back rent. I applied for rent assistance but was told that I was not eligible since I live in a personal care home, and there is no rent assistance for assisted living. I've been evicted and have to move out by August 28. I have to pass muster to be admitted to a local women's shelter. I hope I get in because it seems like they help the residents. My attorney says I will have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of my debts on my credit record to be able to get into subsidized housing.

Can you set up an account at GoFundme.com?  Explain your situation there and see if you can raise $4800, so you can get in subsidizing housing.  It doesn't hurt to try.

• Like 1