Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The Mission

DMB

• Members

I stayed at the bay Fri Sat and Sun.  Drove back this morning.  Slept in both beds.  My son came yesterday for a while, and we got a few things done.  Still have more to do, lots of trim.  I painted baseboards outside.  So much easier.  Now they can get installed, they were already cut.  Son had to fish out the wire that goes to the hot water heater (which is outside under the cottage) because it somehow got walled in.  Luckily, he could drill a hole inside a cabinet so no one will ever know.  Of course, the wire was too short, so maybe next weekend I will have hot water.  There was a charity boat run Saturday morning and after they all went by, a steady stream of grass (or seaweed-whatever you want to call it), came up to the beach.  I didn't venture into the water.  Also saw a big ship, and fantastic sunsets.  Another piece of furniture came down.  It was my parents; it has a bed in it.  If only he could see it.

Bay 7.22 1.jpg

Bay 7.22 2.jpg

Bay 7.22 3.jpg

Bay 7.22 4.jpg

Bay 7.22. 5.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DMB

• KayC

• Gail 8588

• annie123

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just beautiful!

So many memories being made working on it. So many happy family gatherings to be held there in the years to come. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

• Members

So beautiful!!!  I have about that same view, when I go down to our place by the bay.  So relaxing.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm amazed at what you're doing, you're inspiring!  I can't do what you're doing with all my injuries and age but I manage to keep going!  

thumbs up.png

• Like 3

• Members

The weather was so nice yesterday.  Water was good.  Less grass now, you could actually get in.  

I went down to discover water on the floor.  The mini fridge took a dump.  Hubs cousins were there so I put some stuff in their fridge.  I hope to get a standard fridge and stove in real soon.  Other than that, all went well.  Have hot water now, and here's my wall.

Bay 7.30.23.jpg

• Like 2

• Members

The month of August I think I was down every weekend and we spent all of Labor Day weekend there.  Really lucked out with the weather. I finally got a refrigerator that the owner had been promising me all summer.   It came with nothing inside, so I had to go fetch the shelves and drawers from their warehouse of stuff.  I also never knew you can't (or shouldn't) plug it into a GFI outlet, so I had to get that changed.  It is a smaller size fridge than normal ones, but I am fine with that.  My future son in law tried to switch the doors on it around.  He said the one hinge wasn't right.  I don't know.  I will have someone else try.  They also brought in a gas stove with no knobs or burner tops.  LOL!!  It is regular size, and I really wanted a gas cook top only.  I may ask if they have a smaller one, if not, this will work, it's just taking up lots of valuable floor space.  I told my sister in-law that when I get to see my husband again, the 1st thing I'm going to do is punch him square in the face!!!  This has been soooo frustrating, despite getting to reap the rewards of hanging out on the beach and being in the water.  When I start to lose my patience and get sad, I also try to think of it this way.  It really isn't taking us 3 years to finish this thing.  We are only there 5 months out of the year, and not every weekend, or every weekday, so it's really not as long as I think.  Then I sigh and feel a bit better.

My son and his friend got the windows trimmed out.  I started to paint them, and they will need a 2nd coat.  I also thought I'd try to trim some of the seams with rope and glue since iron pipe and rope are my theme, and I am no good with power tools and wood working. It is still humid this week, so if this stuff is still up when I get there next, I will keep going.

I'll try to post again before closing it up for the season.

Window trim and 2 pieces of rope trim in 2 corners.  Test project, if it holds, I will do more.

Bay 9.9.23.jpg

Bay 9.9.23 2.jpg

Bay 9.9.23 3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators

Wow, sounds challenging!  You're doing a beautiful job!  BTW, my refrigerator has 11 CF and serves me fine, I just have to be super organized with it, but that's not a problem.

• Like 2

• Members

Yesterday was the last day of the season at the cottage property.  The owners live there all year, and if I needed something, they would likely let me in.  My son went down and took the air conditioners out and boarded up the openings.  Drained the water lines, put some anti-freeze in the commode. So thankful he made it down there, he's been so busy.

I was down the weekend before and packed up anything that would freeze, emptied the fridge, unplugged things, brought things inside from outside and I stripped the beds, even brought the pillows home.  They are on my bed now! Man is that comfy having lots of pillows to sleep with.  My sister-in-law and I were down on a late September day that I had off.  We caulked and painted the window trim.  It looks so much better.  Finished.  <<<(love that word!!).  We also glued some more rope up on the walls to cover the seams.  I was glad it stayed up.  

Next spring it will be done.  We are down to fixing up the upstairs (loft) ceiling in the back, more trim to be installed.  More rope.  A screen door for the back door.  I also decided I really don't need this stove.  Will ask them to take it back and use it somewhere else.  

Some photos.  One was a clip shot of a video I took of the water.  It was really cool out and windy, so the river was a little rough.  I can play it back and listen to the wind and waves when I need to this winter.

Bay 10.8.23 2.jpg

Bay 10.8.23 3.jpg

Bay 10.8.23.PNG

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

It is amazing how you, with the help of family and friends, have  transformed the shell of a cottage into a beautiful cozy retreat that your family will enjoy and cherish for years to come.  Everyone will think of the two of you as they enjoy this magical place. His vision and your determination made it happen.  Job well done! 

• Like 1

• Moderators

So neat to see what you are doing!