Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Unsupportive boyfriend while taking care of my terminal ill mother

amberella425

• Members
amberella425

I am 33 years old and a hospice nurse. I have been in a relationship for over a year and we live together with my two small children. My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer about 5 months ago. She opted for chemo and has been going every 2 weeks since thanksgiving and it has taken its toll on her. She is 53 and becoming so weak. Her labs are fragile and it’s a matter of time before I will have to move in with her I’m sure and care for her. My boyfriend has not been as supportive as I would like. He tells me “it’s not my fault your mom is sick”, “I don’t need your crazy”, and other horrible things. I don’t always talk to him about my fears because he doesn’t seem to understand or even want to. 

I’m starting to wonder if as I face this hell of my mom and her battle should I also deal with his hell simultaneously? I don’t think I deserve this and it’s a time when I need him most he acts so childish in a way. 

• Members

Dear amberella,

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis.  There is so much on your shoulders and it is only normal to want to talk to your boyfriend and lean on him for emotional support.  It's hard when people don't know what to say or do during these difficult times. His words were hurtful and unwarranted. I hope you'll find more support with other trusted friends or family members or through resources at the hospital.

Thinking of you and your mom. Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Archived