Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost sibling, emotionally exhausted

lrp

• Members

I’m not sure where to start...My heart is broken. I feel so lost, like I’m living in a fog. She died 2 weeks ago, my big sister. Freakin’ breast cancer metastasized. It was in her lung, liver, even bones. She was hurting. It’s a nightmare, remembering how she declined, how this strong, beautiful, kind woman who took care of everyone was too frail and week to even sit up by herself.
I don’t understand it. I’m hurting so badly. We were extremely close. I was her little shadow when we were younger. Please help, just connect with me. My heart feels like it can’t take this. I want to stay curled up in my bed for days and never get up. I have to function for my 7-year-old daughter, but I’m hurting so badly! I’m emotionally and physically exhausted.

• Members

So sorry for your loss. I loss my sister to lymphoma two months ago, and the grief is deep. We talked on the phone every week and I really miss things like that. She lived in a different state and because of Covid I couldn't see her at all last year.  But we did talk often. She was my oldest sister and she traveled with me to Europe seven times. I've lost my traveling companion, too. And my best friend.

• Members

Valerie Lockhart, thank you so much for your encouragement and for taking the time to respond to my post with your comforting words.

Kay H. F., I am so very sorry you lost your sister, too.  Sounds like she was a great person.  I understand.  My sis and I talked at least weekly as well, and while we didn’t travel much together, there’s still this gaping hole there.  I’m sure you can relate.  Doesn’t feel right.  It’s NOT right.  I kinda also hate that the whole world doesn’t just stop and grieve with us; deadlines must still be met, errands must be run, bills must be paid, performance expectations are still high.  And in the meantime, in this moment, you’re feeling empty, like you have nothing to give.  Nothing to give, yet so pressured to give anyway.  Do you/did you experience these feelings?  Two months in, how do you even DEAL with that?

• Members

Irp, it's hard no matter how hard you try. I empathize with what you're feeling. I wish I had better answers for you and everyone else who has lost a sibling. There's a hole/void there and there are days I don't know what to do with that void. I know my sister would want me to keep moving forward and not wallow in grief, so I'm trying to do that for her as much as for myself.

Archived