Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dad just died today he was 43 and I am 13

Hippoboy28

• Members

I woke up today and my dad was dead he was 43 and had a random heart attack I am 13 and I am super sad because the last thing interaction I had with him was that I couldn’t wait to get away from him and then went in my room and didn’t come out till the morning and then he was dead on the couch pls help me get better soon

• Members

Hippo boy,

The sudden loss of a parent or any loved one is heartbreaking. You were not to know what was going to happen to your Dad. Do not blame yourself that you needed to walk away that night. People have disagreements. It is human nature. 

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Lean on your family and extended family and friends and continue to come onto places like this to express yourself. We are here for you. 

• Members
On 2/15/2021 at 3:09 AM, Hippoboy28 said:

I woke up today and my dad was dead he was 43 and had a random heart attack I am 13 and I am super sad because the last thing interaction I had with him was that I couldn’t wait to get away from him and then went in my room and didn’t come out till the morning and then he was dead on the couch pls help me get better soon

Don’t ever blame your self, no one is perfect my friend, remember, we all make mistakes. I have a hard time with this as well and you have to be good to yourself and like a friend just told me today on here to give yourself grace.  Meaning forgive yourself for anything you feel you did wrong because you had done nothing wrong my friend.   I just lost my mom too a couple of weeks ago and it is the hardest thing to go through, talking helps and I am here for you, remember this is not your fault.

• Members
imissmydad55

Hey buddy. You're 20 years younger than me when I lost my dad.

I want you to know your last thoughts are normal for a 13 year old and you will mature in a few years and think about how silly it was to think that way. 

But you need to know its NORMAL right now.

Nothing will make this get better soon so do not try and rush anything. You only have one dad. Just try and be good to yourself and your mom and siblings if you have them.

I suggest you maybe find a counsellor to talk to about this. Good luck.

• Members
Healing2021

Hi, 

I was 15 when I lost my mom and just lost my dad a few weeks ago. My mom and I fought all the time. When she was in the hospital, I didn’t visit her. As a teenager I told myself I was a horrible daughter but as an adult, I realize I was just a teenager. Saying things like that are normal, at least in my household and the friends I know. Your dad knew you loved him, he was aware you were a kid and he loved you. 

All your feelings are normal, and you aren’t alone. Your dad knew you loved him, no matter what you last said or did. 

This is a lot for a 13 year old to handle. Please keep reaching out for support. Let yourself cry, and talk about it. Keep reaching out. The fact that you’ve posted this is such a huge, strong, mature step. You’ve got a journey ahead of you but looks like you have the skills. Keep reaching out. Group therapy has been helping me, to listen that other people have the same guilt. I hear it’s part of the “grieving process”. Even on here, finding and reading similar stories. You aren’t alone in this situation. Your feelings are normal. 

I’m thinking of you. 

Archived