Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of sister

Michael82

• Members

In the last year and a half I have lost my big sister due to breast cancer. In that same year and a half I lost 3 cousins and most recently my grandmother. I don’t know how I can ever get over that. Five family members in such a short time. How does one move on? Does anybody have advise help me cope.

• Members

Hi Michael

I am so sorry for your losses. I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have lost so many people all around the same time.

I lost my dearest sister 2 years ago and I still feel the pain today. The pain will never go away. But it does get better. For me what helped was keeping busy and staying close to people. You need to keep your brain occupied as much as possible, and its important to speak to people instead of bottling things up.

Wishing you all the best

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my sister to lymphoma two months ago. She died on Christmas Day. I miss her terribly. We talked often and she was my best friend. I did talk to a bereavement counselor, which helped somewhat. I keep trying to do the suggested strategies but those don't always help. I would like to talk to her one more time, sigh.

• Members

I lost my sister last August to lung cancer. She was only 43 years old. She was my best friend. She was my person. I miss her so much. I think I am numb because I thought I wouldn’t be able to breath without my sister. 

• Members

It's hard and some days are better than others. I relate to everyone who has lost a sibling. I know that my sister would not want me to wallow in grief so I am trying hard to keep moving forward because I know that's what she would want.

• Members
On 3/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, Kay H. F. said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my sister to lymphoma two months ago. She died on Christmas Day. I miss her terribly. We talked often and she was my best friend. I did talk to a bereavement counselor, which helped somewhat. I keep trying to do the suggested strategies but those don't always help. I would like to talk to her one more time, sigh.

• Members

Thank you all that replied it helps to Know that there are people out there that care. I’m also sorry for everyone’s loss. Kimmy88 you’re right it does help to talk to people and Not keep things bottled up. I try to get out of the house as much as I can. As of late I’ve been going to my friends daughters horse riding lessons. it actually seems to be kind of therapeutic. Kay H. F. I feel the same way about my sister not wanting me to wallow in grief as well. I know she would want me to stay strong for my mother and father that are still having a rough time. Royalltt It does get a little easier in time. I think as long as we remember our loved ones by talking about them with friends and family they’re never gone.

• Members

Hi Kay HF

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear sister. I know how painful it is to lose a best friend and seeing the illness develop and take over is such a terrible experience. 

I'm glad to hear you went for counselling. Speaking about your pain and loss really really helps. I think it allows us to feel like we took our pain and traumas off our chests and heads and shared them with those who were willing to listen. 

I encourage you to keep going and trying the strategies you've found. They may not all help but your strength grows the more you stick around and fight through your grief. I am sure your sister would be proud of you.

• Members

Hi Michael82

I am glad to hear you have been keeping active and surrounding yourself with people. I think you are well on your way to healing. It really inspires the rest of us here to do the same. 

I couldn't agree more with what you said here:

On 3/5/2021 at 1:17 AM, Michael82 said:

remember our loved ones by talking about them with friends and family they’re never gone.

That cannot be any more true. It's something I've been thinking about for a couple of weeks now. I think it is important to 'eulogize' our loved ones. Even if it's just in conversation. There is something very powerful about that. 

Wishing you all the best

• Members

Hi Royalltt

It is as if you took the words out of my mouth when my sister died. I felt the exact same way.

I never thought I'd be able to live in a world without her. 

It's a strange experience we cannot put into words. The life of survivors is quite shocking. We lose a part of our beings and yet we get up everyday and live on. 

I hope you have come to find some form of comfort as the months have passed?

• Members
Jamie Joyce

Wow reading all of these comments is like looking into a mirror of my heart. I lost my sister Amanda who was my very best friend always in October to ovarian cancer. She was only 39 years old. She left behind my 3 amazing nieces. Right now because of covid I am unable to be in the same province as my entire family. I am so lost. I always considered myself a very resilient person but lately I am so sad and not the person I was before.

One thing I started was a daily mental health checklist. Everyday I do yoga, meditate, write 3 things I am grateful for , get outside and try to connect on a real level with at least one person. It doesn't take away the pain but it certainly helps me cope and connect with myself and others.

• Members

It sounds like everyone is trying hard with all the strategies. I really admire what everyone is doing. Some days my strategies help. Other days it seems like nothing goes well. I made it past my first birthday and Easter without my sister. I understand that the "firsts" are the hardest. But these so-called milestones are not easy. Thanks for the posts. Keep on keeping on.