Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

TV shows and mini series (cable, Netflix etc)

widower2

• Moderators

Netflix:

Midnight Mass. Unless you think mixing horror and religion is a good idea, I'd avoid. ugh.

I have heard The Last Kingdom is really good but haven't seen yet FWIW.

• Like 1

• Members

Here is my Netflix list:

Book of Henry, Manifest, Captain Fantastic, Lupin, The Intouchables, Collateral Beauty, Emily In Paris. I just started watching Maid. 

• Like 1

• Members

Has anyone watched Squid Game on Netflix?  It has got great reviews and my friend recommended it however…not sure how dark it is.

• Like 1

• Members

Hi SSC,

I haven't watched it myself but I have seen some clips on YouTube. Here is a brief answer I found on Google about the violence.

Parents need to know that the level of violence is very intense in Squid Game. Characters are systematically tortured and killed for the sadistic pleasure of a game master. Adults have sex, and there are threats of sexual violence: Women are grabbed by the hair and beaten.
  • Thanks 1

• Members

Hi guys,

Happy Thanksgiving! Wishing everyone a happy holiday. Thinking of you all.

Here are a few links for new stuff coming out for December.

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/whats-coming-to-netflix-in-december-2021-11-21/

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-prime-video-everything-coming-in-december-2021/

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-prime-video-everything-coming-in-december-2021/

Take care everyone.:-)

• Like 1

• Moderators

I've been watching a small mini-series called "Animal." Nothing flashy, just some good animal documentaries, if you're into that kind of thing. 

Also Seinfeld re-runs :) 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/15/2021 at 12:02 PM, SSC said:

Ahh!  Thx Reader.  I think I’ll pass then.  I’m not into sadistic torture.

Yeah. Amazing (to be kind) what passes for "entertainment" now. 

I've also been catching re-runs of "Unsolved Mysteries" on youtube. Sometimes I skip over murder cases, too dark, but some other interesting stuff like missing persons, unexplained this or thats etc. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

A Boy Called Christmas (Netflix) - a young Nicholas (surprise) and his quest to find his father and ultimately his future. I wouldn't call this great but great visuals and enough heart to be worth it IMO.

• Like 2

• Members
14 hours ago, reader said:

Wanted to drop in and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season!

Same to you reader, and everyone else here:)

• Like 2

• Members

Currently watching a British series called After Life, it's about a guy who loses his wife and soulmate to cancer and how he deals with life and relationships after that. A bit of sarcastic humor but I find it entertaining in a not too intense way. Thought it would be quite relevant for us here. It's on Netflix.

• Members

I believe Ozark starts tomorrow on Netflix. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 seasons. 

• Like 1

• Members

Thanks @steveb I’ve got several recommendations to watch this show.  I just might have to put this on my short list…

I just finished watching the series “Cheer”.  My daughter insisted I watch it and I absolutely had no desire to watch a show about cheerleading but….I got sucked in.  I found it intriguing as a human interest story but also I was so impressed by the athletic ability of these young people and to what lengths they will push themselves for their dream.  

• Like 1

• Members

I just binge watched 3 seasons of "Travelers" on Netflix.  I enjoyed this scifi drama.  The 3 seasons complete the story line.  There is room for another story line to begin, but could easily be done forever with these 3 seasons. 

• Like 1

• Members

Tinder swindler and Inventing Anna.  Two stories based on real events.  You can pretty much guess what Tinder Swindler is about.  More than anything I found it amazing how people feel so entitled and have no conscience and are willing to do anything to get what they want.  Inventing Anna was a little difficult for me to get into and to be honest I watched while doing other things.  In my opinion the series was too long, but anyway I too found it interesting because of the way people react toward money and status.  If anything, it made me feel better about my humble life :)

• Like 2

• Members

Tinder Swindler was very good. My daughter told me that it was really well done. Before that, I pretty much blew it off. It’s amazing that the guy is still scamming. 

• Like 1

• Members
8 hours ago, steveb said:

Tinder Swindler was very good. My daughter told me that it was really well done. Before that, I pretty much blew it off. It’s amazing that the guy is still scamming. 

Right? Unbelievable!! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/27/2022 at 11:00 AM, SSC said:

Tinder swindler and Inventing Anna.  Two stories based on real events.  You can pretty much guess what Tinder Swindler is about.  

No clue, had to look it up. :)  Are these on Netflix or-?

• Like 1

• Members

Yes, both are on Netflix.  You should watch Tinder Swindler…it’s the better of the two in my opinion.

• Like 2

• Members

I just watched Tinder Swindler.  I thought it was very well done.  It is very disappointing that he is still out there on social web sites looking for victims. 

• Like 1

• Members

I think the women were very brave to step forward and expose this swindler.  

Gail

• Like 2

• Members

I agree with you completely Gail. It’s crazy how many people he was able to fool. I feel heartbroken for all these women and all the money they lost. It takes incredible courage to come forward. I can’t believe he had the nerve to go on TV with his new girlfriend and defend himself.

• Like 1

• Members

We watch a lot of series...

A Discovery of Witches is awesome, as is The Endgame.

Others:

Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, FBI, Legacies, all the NCIS spinoffs, Ghosts, B Positive, 9-1-1 and 9-1-1 Lone Star  and so many more.  I think we have over 80 series set to record on our DVR

• Moderators

I've been enjoying "Penguin Town" on Netflix, a documentary about penguins who annually flock and all but take over a tiny town every year during mating season. 

• Like 1

• Members

I’ve been watching The Dropout on Hulu.  It’s a drama series on Elizabeth Holmes and her development of her healthcare technology and how it went horribly wrong.  I think The actress who plays Holmes, Amanda Seyfried does a fantastic job.  It’s been a great mini series so far.

• Like 1

• Members

I’ll have to check that out SSC.  Holmes was quite the scam artist. Talk about someone wasting their talent and intellect. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for that, I could be interested in the trivia.....

• Like 2

• Members

I watched the series Life after Death with Tyler Henry.  This is a show about Tyler Henry who is a medium and he goes to different people’s homes and does readings and also in the mix he is in the process of unraveling his own family mystery.  I myself found the whole series interesting because I am open to some people having certain “unique” gifts.  Now, do I believe there are frauds out there, of course.  Do I think this guy is?  ….….you tell me…

• Like 2

• Moderators

I discussed this at length in the "Psychic Medium" thread in the Partner area.......as I said there, I don't pretend to have the answers, but IMO I doubt there are people "in tune with the great beyond." 

Edit: I just watched the first episode, or I should say tried to. I also looked him up and saw how he has this TV series and is into reading for celebs including Michael Jackson's sister and he says he'll try to contact him. I'm sorry this guy just screams fraud to me. If there are people out there with those gifts, I doubt he is one of them. But again just IMO 

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 3/29/2022 at 7:10 AM, reader said:

Part of me wants to believe but I am very skeptical. 

That's the problem: we all want it to be true and people know how powerful that hope is and prey on it. 

• Like 3

• Members

Thanks reader, for posting this interview.  It gave me more insight on how mediums supposedly “read”.  I am an open minded person and I do believe people can have some abilities but being a “canvas and responding to feelings” is verrrry vague to me.  I also dislike the whole Hollywood aspect of it.  For me, this makes it appear fake and for the sake of becoming famous.  

• Like 2

• Members

I hear you widower2.  I hate how people's vulnerabilities are exploited during such a sad and difficult time in their lives. 

• Like 2

• Members
On 1/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, Gail 8588 said:

I just binge watched 3 seasons of "Travelers" on Netflix.  I enjoyed this scifi drama.  The 3 seasons complete the story line.  There is room for another story line to begin, but could easily be done forever with these 3 seasons. 

I did that too. I love sci fi and am a big fan of Eric McCormack. Not from Will and Grace as I didn’t watch that one, but from Perception.  He was absolutely brilliant in that, IMO. I thought he was excellent in Travelers as well.

• Like 1

• Members

If anyone here has Apple TV I highly recommend “Lessons in Chemistry”.  It’s an 8 part very well acted series based off a best selling book with the same title.  It’s about a woman in the 60’s trying to make it in the man’s world.  But really it’s about life.

• Like 2

• Moderators

This probably won't appeal to most, but I've been catching re-runs of an old, old TV western called "Tales of Wells Fargo." It's a by the numbers TV western show, mostly black and white. I liked the hero (Dale Robertson) and the shows generally are, at least for the time, IMO well done. And it rivals Twilight Zone for being king of "guest stars before they were stars" - ! No less than people like James Coburn, Eddie Albert, Lee Van Cleef, Steve McQueen, Ellen Corby, and oh btw some young guy named Jack Nicholson...the list goes on.... 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I haven't seen the holiday animated classics in years so I might revisit them (Rudolph, Frosty, etc). We just lived for those nights when I was a kid; there were no DVDs to buy or "streaming" or even VHS tapes, so if you didn't catch it on TV the night it came on, too bad, see ya next year! 

• Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

A channel I get is showing re-runs of MASH now....one of those shows I can always watch. It's like a fav comfortable pair of jeans. 

• Hugs 1