Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

TV shows and mini series (cable, Netflix etc)

widower2

• Moderators

OK full up confession:  I was a huge "Once Upon a Time" fan, the first few seasons at least. I watched it on a lark expecting it to be lame couldn't have been more wrong. It had its faults and even a few cringe-worthy moments, but overall, really well done. I esp liked Rumpelstiltskin. After a few seasons it was clearly time for the show to end so I didn't see much after about Season 3 or 4, but it was a good run. 

• Like 1

• Members

I enjoyed “The Queen’s Gambit” too.  Very well acted.

”Imposters” is a good series to get lost in too.

• Like 1

• Members

I have enjoyed the first 2 seasons of His Dark Materials.  A series based on Phillip Pullman's trilogy - The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass.  

I hope they make season 3 so we get the final book.

A fantasy scifi tale.  It's PG so not too scary or violent.  Just right for me. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't know if it's still on Netflix, but the sci fi/crime series Continuum was pretty good...it gets kinda "grungy" and violent at times, but on the whole it was good I thought, and developed really well, ultimately it avoided the "good guys are perfect and bad guys are all bad" cliche and showed a more nuanced side of humanity that shows it's not always so simple. 

• Like 1

• Members

I want to see more seasons of Netflix’s Narcos and Ozarks.  Queen of the South is good also. I seem to like these cartel themes. That is, if they are well done like the aforementioned.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Breaking Bad on Netflix - I heard this was good, but after trying to watch it, quickly gave up. Very "grunge" and so did little for me, quickly gave up

• Like 1

• Members

My husband and I watched Breaking Bad from the beginning, week after week on AMC.  I recently decided to rewatch it and had to turn it off halfway through the first episode.  It is verrrry different on Netflix or Prime...it was much more harsh.  I thought the series was created for cable and didn’t realize there was a rated R version!  It was much more palatable on AMC and before my loss...

I am watching Modern Family on Hulu right now.  Silly and lighthearted.

• Like 1

• Members

Hmmm ... I may have to check out breaking bad on Netflix then.  Modern Family is funny:)

• Like 1

• Members

Just finished a miniseries on Netflix “Behind Her Eyes”. It is British, adult rated and somewhat unsettling.  

be warned but because it was so different I liked it.  

• Like 1

• Members

In the movie reviews thread I posted a recommendation for the series Lilyhammer on Netflix.  I should have posted here. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 3/7/2021 at 10:19 PM, SSC said:

I am watching Modern Family on Hulu right now.  Silly and lighthearted.

Is that the one with Patricia Heating? Always liked her; huge Everybody Loves Raymond fan. 

Also a local channel is running re-runs of Home Improvement and have been catching that; fun silly stuff. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

The Liberators. True story about a WW II US Army regiment consisting largely of Native Americans and Mexicans who served with great distinction throughout several campaigns. It's animated in an unusual way that looks very realistic. Very well done overall IMO.

• Like 1

• Members

Is The Liberators on Netflix?  I’ll have to check it out.  Right now I am watching “Dances with Wolves”...again..I find myself watching old movies and tv shows more and more often.  The nostalgia must be comforting.  

one of my favorite all time tv series was “Northern Exposure” I haven’t seen it on any streaming service but I bought the dvds when they came out.  It’s early 1990’s I think.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It is, and actually it's "The Liberator" (singular), pardon.

Watching more of "Our Planet," nature documentary series. Really well done, great camera work. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Watching "Spyware" on Netflix about the history of spying. It's OK if you're interested in that kind of thing.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not the biggest Star Trek geek around, but re-watching "Voyager" on Netflix now, some good stuff. 

Also catching re-runs of Big Bang Theory. It's on about when I normally eat dinner, so I go back n forth between the stove/micro/etc and the TV :) 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Cmon nobody else is watching any series on Netflix or elsewhere? 

Catching the "WW 2 in color" on Netflix now. I don't care about the color thing, but just like the recaps of key moments in the war. 

• Like 1

• Members

My husband was a huge WWII fan and I’ve watched many shows on this subject! 

I just finished the tv series Schitt$ Creek on Netflix.  Initially I thought it was going to be stupid but actually liked it.  Yes, it is silly and ridiculous but it was good for the laughs.

• Like 2

• Members

I have been enjoying watching the young Atlanta Hawks play some amazing basketball.  I watched all of the Knicks games, all but one of the 76ers and the first 4 of the Bucks.  All tied up at 2 - 2 in this series, with the Hawks star, Trae Young, not playing in game 4 due to an ankle sprain. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/29/2021 at 10:47 AM, SSC said:

My husband was a huge WWII fan and I’ve watched many shows on this subject! 

I just finished the tv series Schitt$ Creek on Netflix.  Initially I thought it was going to be stupid but actually liked it.  Yes, it is silly and ridiculous but it was good for the laughs.

I've heard about that but hadn't watched; I'll have to try it!

Don't bother with "Godless" though. Horrible western mini-series. 

Watching "Manifest" - this passenger airplane touches down and finds it's jumped 5 yrs into the future and the passengers' life stories unfold as they find their (ex) spouses remarried or whatever. Also there's a sci fi element in that some of them start hearing voices in their head which appear to be kind of clairvoyant...it's far from great, but kept me watching for several episodes at least. If you're into that kind of "drama" thing and/or like the sci fi twist, you might like it.

PS also there are some really good nature documentaries on Netflix. 

• Like 1

• Members

I watched quite a few seasons of Manifest and enjoyed them. 

There are several seasons that I haven't watched, but haven't made the effort to get back into it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

I didn't know there were so many-? Netflix has just two. 

Have you watched "Medici?" Wondering if it's any good. 

• Like 1

• Members

There is so much to watch on Netflix.

I've watched a lot of romantic comedies and series like Emily in Paris and new Bridgerton series.

I've also watched the documentary on Jeffrey Epstein and what happened in Colorado with Chris Watts. Those are very disturbing but I feel like we all have to be aware of people like that in our society.

• Members

Marseille and Cocaine Coast are excellent foreign series. Unauthorized Living as well. They all are on Netflix and are mafia crime like intermixed with politics.  Quite good and well written IMHO.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for these ideas! I have to say I tried an episode of Medici and didn't think much of it. They have come out with a flurry of historical things lately though, so still looking... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

And it is August. :(   Afraid I don't have any suggestions yet, but several things in the queue on Netflix to check. Will report back :) 

• Like 2

• Moderators

"The Lost Pirate Kingdom" is a nice recap IMO of the heyday of pirates from roughly the mid-17th century to the early 18th century...

• Like 2

• Members
6 hours ago, widower2 said:

The Lost Pirate Kingdom"

That was good. The Heist or Heist on Netflix is surprisingly excellent. It’s a docu series on 3 unique heists with their backstories.  It’s very well done.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I live in the South with no kids. Summer isn't over. :)

I'm watching the series "Frontier" on Netflix, starring the guy who played Acquaman (Joe Mimosa or some such). It's about late 18th century fur trapping around northern America and parts of Canada, focusing largely on the Hudson Bay Company. Warning if interested, it's often graphically violent, has a few sex scenes (little is actually shown, more implied) and vulgar...and I get that it may be how things were back then, but IMO most if not nearly all of it was unnecessary and didn't add anything to it. Still, I've managed to tolerate that and that aside, it's not amazing but watchable enough that I finished the first season (there are three). And I hear the second and third seasons are better...we'll see. 

On a much lighter note, still catching the occasional episode of various nature series, most which are really good. 

• Like 2

• Members

Thx Widower2, I will try Frontier if it isn’t too gory.  I can’t handle much gore anymore since my loss.

I’ve been watching Hulu lately.  Sometimes having a sitcom on in the background makes it feel less lonely in the house.  As of late it’s been Modern Family.

however, I am also watching 3 shows that have a new episode every week:

Masterchef- I’m a sucker for cooking shows

Nine Perfect Strangers- big name cast with an interesting story line

Only Murderers in the Building- Steve Martin, Salena Gomez and Martin Short.  Funny dark humor, a tad gory and swearing so be warned!

I recommend all three shows!

• Like 3

• Members
1 hour ago, SSC said:

Only Murderers in the Building- Steve Martin, Salena Gomez and Martin Short.  Funny dark humor, a tad gory and swearing so be warned!

That was pretty darn good.  I was pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, SSC said:

Thx Widower2, I will try Frontier if it isn’t too gory.  

Most of the time it's not, but when it is.......yikes. Be warned.

Only Murderers in the Building- Steve Martin, Salena Gomez and Martin Short.  Funny dark humor, a tad gory and swearing so be warned.

I can't picture them in something gory, and tbh not a big dark humor fan (Slingblade need I say more), but big Martin and Short fan, so will keep in mind :) 

• Like 1

• Members

If you are up to smart action mini-series, Money Heist is just back with new episodes on Netflix. Highly recommend.

Grace & Frankie was good in the first couple of seasons, at least for the ladies out there. Started the latest season (4 I think) and am not too impressed, the plot is starting to drag.

I think I mentioned Call the Midwife somewhere before but can't find that post, so forgive me if I am repeating myself. Highly recommend for a not too intense real life drama.

• Like 4

• Members

For those who like mafia like crime series - Ozark is by far the best I've seen in past few years, right up to Breaking Bad, but smarter and more real.

• Like 4

• Members

I am binge watching The Magicians on Nerflix.  Not great TV, but is light entertainment.  

Sort of the Harry Potter stories mixed with Narnia Tales but mid 20s to mid 30s characters, so a lot of sex mixed in. Not actually on screen much, just entangling the characters.  A fair amount of unnecessarily vulgar language if that bothers you. 

It is entertaining and the fantasy monsters are not scary to me for some reason.

I'm in season 4 now.

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 9/2/2021 at 6:31 PM, widower2 said:

I'm watching the series "Frontier" on Netflix, starring the guy who played Acquaman (Joe Mimosa or some such). It's about late 18th century fur trapping around northern America and parts of Canada, focusing largely on the Hudson Bay Company. Warning if interested, it's often graphically violent, has a few sex scenes (little is actually shown, more implied) and vulgar...and I get that it may be how things were back then, but IMO most if not nearly all of it was unnecessary and didn't add anything to it. Still, I've managed to tolerate that and that aside, it's not amazing but watchable enough that I finished the first season (there are three). And I hear the second and third seasons are better...we'll see. 

I saw. And they weren't. This just got worse and worse, I don't recommend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Members
On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Maria_PI said:

For those who like mafia like crime series - Ozark is by far the best I've seen in past few years, right up to Breaking Bad, but smarter and more real.

Totally agree, Ozark was excellent.   I’m watching Curb your Enthusiasm again. Larry David is a genius and funny as heck.

• Like 3

• Members

Started watching Frontier and just couldn’t finish the first episode.  Too much.  Now knowing the additional seasons are not worth watching I don’t feel so bad. Thx Widower2.

I never watched Gilmore Girls while it was on television in the early 2000’s…sooo…now I’m indulging.  It’s definitely a trip down memory lane and something not needed to concentrate on.  Nothing riveting.

I am happy to report that the Great British Baking Show will be starting up again on the 24th.  Yay!

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 9/13/2021 at 7:23 PM, steveb said:

Totally agree, Ozark was excellent.   I’m watching Curb your Enthusiasm again. Larry David is a genius and funny as heck.

Curb was a huge fav of hers and mine! Definitely something that you love or hate I think, it hits you or it doesn't. I need to watch more of that again :) 

• Members

I hear ya.  I first watched Curb Your Enthusiasm years ago while deployed to Bagram AB, Afghanistan.  It gave me a few laughs in an otherwise not so enjoyable deployment.