Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Hobbies general discussion

widower2

• Moderators

Hobbies (at least to me) can be a welcome diversion/discussion in these lonely times......what are yours? Ones you have or are considering?

I look forward to warmer weather and gardening :) 

• Like 1

• Members

I actually bought myself a starter kit for painting, I used to draw very well when I was young but never pursued it. Now I just have to find the inspiration and peace of mind, I already have some ideas. I also used to play the piano but that could be harder to go back to for a couple of reasons - I have to buy a piano, I know they now have those electronic ones much cheaper, but also I have to strain my brain to read music because I am not good at improvising. Maybe both some day... when I retire [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 1

• Moderators

Painting sounds fun - I'm no painter so that's out for me!

Electric pianos have come a LONG way in recent years...for a very modest price you can get one that sounds and feels surprisingly real. I'm window shopping myself in fact and have done a lot of research, so feel free to ask questions if you have any. They also have this thing that you can connect to your piano that lights up the keys you're supposed to play for a song that might be worth considering...I don't read music at all any more, I'm totally by ear and memory.

• Like 1

• Members

I am also looking forward to nice weather and gardening.  I have a very small yard and garden but I love the summertime and taking care of my plants.  I find nature a form of therapy and even spiritual.  I enjoy both flowers gardens and vegetables.  I started shopping for seeds and going to the nurseries just to feel like spring time isn’t so far away.  It is snowing here but I enjoy the anticipation of warm days to come and planning what I will plant.  Because of covid and now retiring early I’m hopeful to have the time to attempt sowing seeds indoors just to see what happens.  I can always buy small starters if my attempts don’t work out!

• Like 1

• Members

This is not exactly a hobby, but it takes up a lot of my time.  I am working with some other folks to try to get Florida to take out a dam on a river here in Florida.

It's the Ocklawaha River and the dam was built 50 years ago as part of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. ( Sort of like the Panama Canal)  The Canal project was deauthorized when they figured out construction of the canal would pollute the drinking water for much of Florida. But this dam had already been built.  The dam has done a lot of environmental damage over the past 50 years.  Now the dam needs millions of dollars of repairs, because it's 50 years old.  Rather than repair it, we want it removed. 

There is lots of politics involved, so it's not clear what will happen.

We just created a web site  GreatFloridaRiverway.com  to spread the word. 

Restoring a free flowing Ocklawaha was something my husband tried to do over much of his life.  He'd be really happy to see all the progress we are making pulling groups together in support of the Ocklawaha.

Keeps me occupied, that is for sure. 

Gail

• Like 3

• Members

That is awesome Gail!  What a noble cause and it’s a wonderful attachment to your husband.  Finding a passion or a hobby definitely helps distract us from the gnawing sadness and this dam project seems to fit the bill perfectly!  I’ll be interested to see how things progress for you.

@widower2is an electric piano the same as an electric keyboard?  If not, what is the difference?

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/2/2021 at 12:16 AM, Gail 8588 said:

This is not exactly a hobby, but it takes up a lot of my time.  I am working with some other folks to try to get Florida to take out a dam on a river here in Florida.

It's the Ocklawaha River and the dam was built 50 years ago as part of the Cross Florida Barge Canal. ( Sort of like the Panama Canal)  The Canal project was deauthorized when they figured out construction of the canal would pollute the drinking water for much of Florida. But this dam had already been built.  The dam has done a lot of environmental damage over the past 50 years.  Now the dam needs millions of dollars of repairs, because it's 50 years old.  Rather than repair it, we want it removed. 

There is lots of politics involved, so it's not clear what will happen.

We just created a web site  GreatFloridaRiverway.com  to spread the word. 

Restoring a free flowing Ocklawaha was something my husband tried to do over much of his life.  He'd be really happy to see all the progress we are making pulling groups together in support of the Ocklawaha.

Keeps me occupied, that is for sure. 

Gail

That is cool, good luck! I mean cmon how expensive can TNT be? :) 

• Moderators
On 2/3/2021 at 12:44 AM, SSC said:

is an electric piano the same as an electric keyboard?  If not, what is the difference?

None really. Both tend to be general terms. You may hear more specific terminology about the diff kinds though...i.e.:

• Digital piano - these are keyboards which are pretty basic in features but focus on being as close as possible to sounding and feeling like a "real" piano. Sometimes they even have a "cabinet" (wooden framing) about them similar to a real piano
  • Workstations - these have a lot more features; all kinds of diff sounds to choose from, from standard piano (although not as focused on sounding and feeling like a real piano, some still do) and organ sounds to other instruments to all kinds of electronic sounds too, all over the map, plus options to record your music, etc etc - good ones tend to be expensive  
  • Synthesizers - these focus mostly on "digital" or "electronic" sounds vs real instruments like a piano and have a lot of wild effects options. Also common for them to not have a full 88 keys, sometimes as few as 25, 49 etc 
  • MIDI controllers - these have no sounds of their own; you have to hook them up to a computer with the appropriate software to get the sounds. The advantage is they are a lot cheaper because of this
  • Like 1

• Members

My hobbies include drawing, oil painting, guitar, and watching old game shows. Only on the weekends, do I have enough free time to work on painting, so it takes me about 4-5 weeks to complete one. In November 2020, I decided that I would spend the next year painting a series of portraits of my mother. It will be the "Mom" series. I work 3rd shift at a crisis line and, when the phones aren't ringing, I practice drawing, so I complete about 150 of those a year. As they are more complicated than the styles of guitar with which I am most comfortable, I have been working on learning jazz and Western swing. My mom's beloved father was a Texan and she absolutely adored Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, so trying to play like Eldon Shamblin is a tribute to her. That I continue to watch old game shows is a surprise. During the five weeks of her illness, I would watch the Buzzr network, whenever she was asleep, just because it was mindless and the hosts, panelists, and contestants all seemed happy and like they were having a good time. I thought I would come to associate the game shows with my mother's final weeks and be unable to watch them again, but I still enjoy going home in the morning and watching "To Tell The Truth" and "What's My Line." I even sleep with Buzzr on.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What's My Line was a GREAT show...I caught re-runs on youtube. I mostly liked watching all these great celebs of the day come on at the end, and the panelists were great too.

• Members

Hi All, I started learning the Ukulele. I can't play any musical instrument and I can't sing so I thought it was about time I tried.
I used to watch TV with my mother but since she's been gone, TV just isn't the same without another person watching.

• Like 1

• Members

I need to get back into sight fishing for pompano and red fish off the beaches in the panhandle of Florida  I pour and tie my own pompano jigs.  My wife loved pompano  I used to be exhausted carrying my limit of pompano back to the parking lot in Navarre beach, but the smile from my wife afterwards made it all worthwhile  

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 2/6/2021 at 3:35 PM, tessa said:

Hi All, I started learning the Ukulele. I can't play any musical instrument and I can't sing so I thought it was about time I tried.
I used to watch TV with my mother but since she's been gone, TV just isn't the same without another person watching.

That's great enjoy! It's an interesting instrument, very unique sound.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:28 PM, steveb said:

I need to get back into sight fishing for pompano and red fish off the beaches in the panhandle of Florida  I pour and tie my own pompano jigs.  My wife loved pompano  I used to be exhausted carrying my limit of pompano back to the parking lot in Navarre beach, but the smile from my wife afterwards made it all worthwhile  

That sounds great too, always good to get out.  And thanks now I'm starving for seafood lol

• Members

Hi steveb,

Pompano is one of my mom's favorite fishes.

Thanks for sharing everyone. I am looking to for some new hobbies to try.

I like to try new bakeries and restaurants but I wish I had something like gardening or fishing or painting.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thought this thread was worth trying to revive........anyone else have things they've gotten into or revisited? Gardening/yard work remains a big one for me. Just getting out of the house and around nature is alone a big plus for me. 

• Like 1

• Members

For years I made great plans for the hobbies I would take up in retirement.  I wanted a "she shed" to do some furniture refinishing, which my mother did a lot of.  A wood working shop area with a lathe and a jigsaw.  These were tools my father had in his workshop where he made lots of things, including amazing toys for me and my brothers. I fantasized about having a pottery wheel and kiln.  The idea of working with my hands to renew old things or create new things had great appeal. 

After John died I had no interest in doing anything.  Now 6 plus years out, I still have not regained the urge to take up a hobby.  I am hoping that will come with a little more time. I think my vision of a "she shed" and wood working tools is probably history.  My vision always had John puttering around in there with me.  But I may take a stab at gardening next spring.

I'll keep you posted on that. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Wrapping up some yardwork for the year...trimmed the bushes for the last time (this year) and a few branches on trees. It's always good to get outside for awhile among nature for me.

• Members

I too find solace in the outdoors and in my garden/yard.  This summer I was given the opportunity to sell vegetables for a farmer at his small farmers market.  I have loved every minute of it!  The market is on his property so I not only get to hang out at a farm but also visit with people in my community who are so excited to buy his delicious produce.  Truly it is like a dream job where it doesn’t even feel like working.  I enjoy discussing gardening tips and learning more about how farming works on a semi-large scale.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

• Members

I lived at home without a car for two months starting at the end of August, so for fresh vegetables I depended on my vegetable garden.  

Luckily there were scads of cucumbers, two varieties:  Arkansas Little Leaf, and China Jade China Jade Cucumber Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com), which I mixed with vinegar, salt and pepper, let sit for a day, ate by the bowlful.   Plus some late-planted okra (Cowhorn), a couple kinds of peppers (Grenada Seasoning, Corbacci), green onions, parsley, arugula, tomatoes, really ... it was HEALTHY.  

I hope I'll keep up with the gardening.  Even now, late November, I have Pak Choy, 7-top turnip greens, and a couple kinds of lettuce growing out there, and protected the Pak Choy with a nice small greenhouse.  (really, with greenhouses, WIND is the great destroyer IMHO, so short is good!)  

I'm reading you-all's ideas with interest ... I don't have the energy I used to have, I've noticed ... BUT somehow I'm beginning.  ... Beginning.  Don't understand anything but keeping on keeping on.  I've got a lot of various colors of macrame cord, for starters I guess I should make at least one plant hanger since I've brought in a few plants.  It's just hard to psych yourself up to START.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Members
Boggled

and now it's March, 2024.  Late for starting seeds indoors (in six-packs) but yesterday I remembered to myself ... what kind of "dirt" do I use to start seeds?  oh yeah.   "Dirtless" seems to be the basic idea for seed starting mixtures ... but I've added dirt in the past and it still worked.  Gotta watch the pH.   If using peat moss, which is acidic, recommendation is to add "garden lime."  I didn't have any garden lime ... checked online holy moly, the online price of garden lime!  yikes!  but stores still have it at more reasonable price, will buy some next time I go to town to a physical store ... ... but oh yeah ... wood ashes are HIGHLY alkaline;  so, checking the wood stove, yep, I have wood ashes ... so, peat moss, perlite, dirt, and just a bit of wood ashes.  Packed the mixture into six-pack seed starting plastic-thingies.  As per "Gardening by the Moon," Planting Calendar - Gardening by the moon - Farmers' Almanac (farmersalmanac.com), yesterday and today are good for "vine crops."  Planted:  Seminole Pumpkin, Trifecta Melon, China Jade Cucumber, Tatume Squash, Arkansas Little Leaf Cucumber, ... and went ahead and planted two kinds of peppers though they aren't vines:  Corbacci and Grenada Seasoning.  

It does feel good to get back to digging in the dirt.   And digging!  I use a mattock.  Great for exercising the vagus nerve IMHO!   :)   so many weeds, chickweed, dead nettle, and plenty of unknown weeds! ... but under the takeover weeds is GOOD DIRT, way improved over time from the orange rocky stuff, now deep brown stuff.  I spread opened-out cardboard from boxes over a lot of the weedy parts ... save on digging out thriving weeds by preventing 'em from thriving.  

The vegetables came in handy last year!  Two particularly worthy ones are super-common:  parsley and green onions.  Parsley being biennial, will go to seed this year, but nice 4' bed of it means I'll still have plenty of parsley.  Planted a new-to-me kind of green onion seeds, called "White Spear" from Soiuthern Exposure.  

And the shelf I use next to my bed with grow lights above, and heating pad below, surrounded by bits of space blanket and bubble wrap, is still there from last year, the timer with lights and heating pad plugged in STILL WORKS ... this morning I woke to "lights on!" ... it all STILL WORKS.   The garden still works!  I still work!    So far, so good.  My crude homemade seed starting mix may or may not work.  We shall see.  The future awaits.  We can only do that which we can do.  Take guesses and act on 'em.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

• Moderators
widower2

I'm looking forward to doing a little gardening too. Just being outdoors is a good thing. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1