-->
New Members - Check Your Spam/Junk Folder for Confirmation Email ×

Movie reviews

widower2

• Members
On 7/26/2021 at 9:24 AM, Gail 8588 said:

Not yet. I did watch Black Widow at home when it came out. 

Not a great movie, but has some silly fun stuff.  Not going to win any awards but it's fun light entertainment.   Lots of blowing stuff up. 

Exactly....

reader, I haven't gone to a theater in many years. In my neck of the woods, too many idiots that don't understand when a movie starts to shut up. :)

• Like 1

• Members

Hahaha!  I went to a movie theater last night.  First time in probably 2 years.  I very much dislike going to see movies for the same reason you stated @widower2.  If I do go I have to be in the back row and I refuse to go on the weekend.  I will also wait a few weeks so less people will be there!

I did see Disney’s Cruella.  I thought it was a great version of the animated 101 Dalmatians.

• Like 2

• Members

Haven't seen that but I heard it was good!

Black Widow - your basic superhero movie, not great but not bad either. Jokes were kinda lame IMO but lots of action, martial arts fights, stuff blowing up, etc etc. A light summer kind of movie. 

• Like 1

• Members

Hi SSC and widower2,

We are so alike.:-) I'm an introvert so I don't know if that is part of it, but I too cannot stand people checking their cell phones and talking during the movie.:-) 

If possible, I try to go during a quieter time if possible.:-)

There were so many big movies I was looking forward to seeing last year. I really want to see the new Tom Cruise movie Maverick.:-) It's supposed be out closer to Christmas now.

• Members
On 7/28/2021 at 10:34 PM, reader said:

Hi SSC and widower2,

We are so alike.:-) I'm an introvert so I don't know if that is part of it, but I too cannot stand people checking their cell phones and talking during the movie.:-) 

I don't think being an introvert is part of it. I think you're not an obnoxious idiot and they are is ALL of it. 

There were so many big movies I was looking forward to seeing last year. I really want to see the new Tom Cruise movie Maverick.:-) It's supposed be out closer to Christmas now

Wow first I heard of that. I'm very leery of sequels...hopefully it's good. 

Meanwhile I saw "Lone Star," what's called a "neo Western" film starring Kris Kristofferson and Chris Cooper. Basically a small Texas town in the 1980s ish and Cooper is a sheriff who investigates the disappearance of a sheriff who was a scumbag and whose corpse is found in the desert many years later. Kris K does really well in this film but it didn't work for me overall. Dragged a lot IMO.

• Like 1

• Members

Kong Skull Island - a King Kong reboot. Not without its flaws, for sure but hey it's a monster movie, you can't expect a "great movie." Some good action and effects. A decent enough light summer movie for what it is.

• Like 1

• Members

An odd, independent documentary on You Tube, that was actually very uplifting is a movie called 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead'.  It was done by an Australian business man, who due to rather horrible symptoms of his illness, took the extreme step of going on a 60 day juice fast (fruits and veggies), under close medical supervision. 

He is a very outgoing and amiable fellow who shares his journey with all those he meets. 

The documentary follows him and others who join him on the journey towards wellness, for a couple of years. 

He didn't seem to be selling anything. 

It was a very positive film and reminded you of in the goodness of people.  Something we all can benefit from. 

Gail 

• Like 2

• Members

The story line is certainly dark, but I enjoy musicals, so I recommend Phantom of the Opera (2004) free on YouTube. Full movie, no ads.

You can't really go wrong watching anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

As previously mentioned by others, there are lots of movies free on YouTube.   

• Like 2

• Members

Not a lot of action at the moment on this thread but since winter is just around the corner thought I’d ask for suggestions on everyone’s favorite all time movie?!

• Members

Reader,

Thanks for the clip of Thoroughly Modern Millie.  That was great.

I have seen it and loved it but I'll watch it again soon. 

I have watched Hamilton 5 or 6 times. Love it. I have Disney plus, because I can't watch scary, violent films - never could even with my sweetie.  I recently enjoyed Coco, a Disney animated film.

SSC - A silly movie that is one of my all time favorites is Galaxy Quest.  Just goofy, but sweet. 

Movies can sometimes be a good distraction for your grief ridden brain, though I really wasn't able to watch much of anything my first year. 

Gail

• Like 1

• Members

Hahaha!  I just watched Galaxy Quest last night!  I remember watching it from before but my SIL loves it and bought it to watch it with my daughter.  So we all watched it together.

I always love to watch “oldies but goodies” movies.  And I’m a sucker for a good rom/com too.

I love Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly, Emma with Anya Taylor-Joy, The Help, Hidden Figures, and the Color Purple just to name a few.

• Like 1

• Members

Forgot about this thread! Let's see, the latest...

Murder on the Orient Express (1974 version) - an all-star cast led by Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot in a classic murder mystery and well done IMO. I'm curious to see the newer remake now. 

News of the World - Tom Hanks stars in a western and it's also well done. Even if you're not a big western fan you might like this (esp if you like Hanks). 

Harvey - Classic James Stewart movie about his imaginary (?) tall rabbit friend. Quirky fun. 

• Like 1

• Members

Klaus - on Netflix, an animation of the origin of Santa Claus. Well done IMO.

Atlantis - another animation, Disney, about a young guy trying to find the lost city/continent. OKish :)  

• Like 1

• Members
widower2

Thanks same to you!

I just watched "Gone Girl," a legal/crime thriller starring George Clooney. eh. Not terrible but nothing great. If you're in the mood for such a thing it could be worth the watch, just keep expectations modest.

Before that was "The Fifth Element," an absolutely terrible sci fi movie IMO with Bruce Willis. 

• Members

Just saw Rooster Cogburn on TV. Long time since I saw it. Holds up very well...the plot isn't anything amazing, but the dialogue between John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn carries it.