Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Movie reviews

widower2

• Moderators
widower2

The Pig - Nick Cage stars as a forest recluse who hunts truffles with his pet pig and sells them to a "dealer," but then the pig is stolen and he tries to get it back with the help of his dealer. Occasionally after watching a movie, I'll look up how well received it was, and apparently most thought this movie was all that and a bag of chips and I don't get why. I like that it wasn't standard Hollywood fare with overly dramatic moments etc, but it took that to a fault...the movie was about as comatose as the main character throughout, it wasn't at all believable, it had its share of plot holes, and character development was also very lacking. I considered it a waste of time.

As always, take my opinion with a grain of salt :)  

• Like 1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• reader

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Gail 8588

I recently enjoyed watching The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel again.  I love the characters in that movie.  

• Like 1

• Members

This one is not for the faint of heart, but based on a true story. In fact, I found it so viscerally and internally unsettling that Cosi was affected and started pacing around, staring at “something,” and then came over to me and wouldn’t leave my side. That night, if she had snuggled any closer, she would have been inside my pjs with me. Even the next morning, she kept patting my head. She’s never done that before.

With that warning, I still recommend The Zone of Interest . It’s about the primary Commandant of Auschwitz and his family. They lived next to the camp and nearly all of the movie takes place in their home and gardens. The night scenes were filmed with night vision and no artificial lighting, so there is a surreal quality to them.

The banality of every day, the acceptance by the adults (I won’t say who I ended up being most disgusted by, but it wasn’t who I expected), and the routine within the family juxtaposed with never seeing inside the camp, mostly just hearing, while knowing anyway is disturbing, but that’s the point, I think.

This is not a movie for everyone, but it’s thought provoking and really well done.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yeah that's one I waffle on. It's one of those that even if it's a really good movie quality wise, it's so dark that I'd never watch it more than once (like Schindler's List). 

But onto a totally opposite kind of movie, I recommend the Lego Batman Movie. :)  If you're into that kind of thing anyway. Shamelessly silly for the most part, and yet some "poignant" moments as well.

• Like 1

• Members

I'll  go with the shamelessly silly.  

I don't  think I am capable of watching The Zone of Interest, or Schindler's List.   I just don't tolerate stress/tension/ suspense well. 

Thanks for the great description though. 

I unintentionally watched a documentary about the BeeGees last night.  ( It came on after a show I was watching.)  I was not a fan of the BeeGees but I thought the documentary about them was very interesting.  Once I had watched 10 minutes I was hooked to watch the whole show.   It is free on YouTube. The Story of the BeeGees.

• Like 2