Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Movie reviews

widower2

• Moderators

What movies have you seen lately? Did you like or not? Why?   

PS PLEASE DON'T POST "SPOILERS" EVEN FOR OLDER MOVIES :)

I'll start this off:

Knives Out - a fun and good IMO whodunit movie. If that kind of things interests you, I advise 

Cars 2 - A worthy sequel to an excellent animated movie series from Pixar if you are into that kind of thing. I think there's a Cars 3 I'll have to check.

Ad Astra - ugh. A terrible sci fi flick. Borrrring. Don't advise

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• widower2

• Gail 8588

• reader

• SSC

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Movies! That’s a good one. Where do I start... I am a binge-watcher so I prefer good international TV series, but The Queen’s Gambit broke all records, brilliantly made and beautiful. Also good to know that Grand Master Gary Kasparov consulted for the film so you know it’s as close to reality as possible. Highly recommend.

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 1

• Moderators

I thought TV shows and such deserved their own thread so I started one up, join in :) 

• Like 1

• Moderators

WALL-E:   Pixar does it again....a fun animated film. Recap: it follows a solitary robot on a future deserted Earth, left to clean up garbage. However, he is visited by an advanced probe sent by the starship (that dumps the garbage from where inhabitants now live) called EVE, with whom he falls in love and pursues across the galaxy.

• Members

I think I’ve seen every Disney movie! :rolleyes: I enjoyed WALL-E too!  I saw “Knives Out” in the theater and thought it was great.  I watched it again when it showed  up on Netflix.  Two recent movies I watched on Netflix are documentaries.  “Speed Cubers” and “Kiss the Ground”.  I recommend both just for learning something new! 

• Members

I watched Kiss the Ground also.   It's a little preachy, but has some very interesting information.  Gives a bit of hope that all is not lost. 

I think Paul Hawken, who put together Drawdown, which is the book the movie was based on, is a pretty smart guy.  Back in the 1990s he wrote 2 books that were way ahead of their time. Natural Capitalism and  The Ecology of Commerce. 

I'd recommend Kiss the Ground on Netflix.  

For just fun entertainment I loved Knives Out and The Queen's Gambit. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks I'll check these!

Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows - the follow up to the earlier Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr (who somehow morphed into like Al Pacino's brother what's up with that?). It's good but not as good as the first one IMO. The fight scenes are fun action but kind of silly in that kung fu movie way and I think would have been best mostly avoided.

• Members

If you have Netflix, “The Lie” is a good thriller type movie.  It deals with death so if this is a trigger, be warned!

• Like 1

• Members

I enjoyed watching The Dig, on Netflix.

Slow moving British film about an extraordinary archeological excavation just as WWII was beginning. It was a true story but with much artistic license on the romantic relationships of the characters, to make it more of a drama than a documentary.  It was a sweet movie.  I actually spent about 3 hours on the internet reading up about the archeological site after watching the film.  It was really fascinating.

• Like 1

• Moderators

American Sniper. True story about an American hero (and the greatest American sniper ever) in the aftermath of 9/11 who went overseas to fight the good fight as a Navy SEAL sniper. Also deals with death obviously and some violent scenes so be warned but well done. Clint Eastwood directs. 

• Members

I thought American Sniper was a terrific movie.  So tragic but the story line was absolutely riveting.  Great acting too.

I started watching “The Dig” and fell asleep during the beginning (I must be getting old).  My sister also recommended it so looks like I will give it another go!

• Members

I did warn you it was a "slow moving British film"   Drink a mug of  double caffeine tea when you try again.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Well cmon surely I'm not the only one watching movies in the middle of all this nasty weather!

Gosford Park - A classic English whodunit similar to "Knives Out" - and a good one IMO, worth it if you're up for such a thing.

• Moderators

Good Will Hunting - probably everyone knows about this one but recently saw again. Just great stuff by mostly three extremely talented people (Robin Williams, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon) and I think the greatest movie speech ever by Williams (at the park).

• Members

I am currently binging on the British series "Call the Midwife" and find it very inspiring. The characters are great and there is some real life drama, love, loss and even God in a very non-dogmatic way. The music with the British movies is always brilliant as well.

• Like 1

• Members

I really enjoyed  Call the Midwife too.   I am old enough that I lived through some of that too.  I have a cousin that was a thalidomide baby.  Lots of real life drama is portrayed very well in that series.  

• Like 1

• Members

Hi all,

I see the Oscar nominations just came out, has anyone watched any of the nominated movies? I feel so behind and don't feel like I've heard of any of the movies.

• Members

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Oscars. 

I do have a recommendation for a quirky, but well done TV series: Lilyhammer, on Netfix.

It is along the line of The Sopranos, but more light-hearted.  There is still a fair amount of violence as the series goes along, but it is more farse than other mofia shows. 

Steven Van Zandt, a really good musician, stars in the series but he also co-wrote and co-directed the series.  He also wrote much of the music.  So if you are a Van Zandt fan, his many talents shine through all aspects of this series.  You get the sense that he had a really good time creating these characters and bringing them to life. 

Would not meet today's standards for appropriate depictions of women, immigrants, government employees, men, anyone.  So if that bothers you, skip this one.   

Gail

• Like 1

• Moderators

On 3/17/2021 at 1:34 AM, Gail 8588 said:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Oscars. 

Me either, and purposely. Hollywood turns my stomach. 

On 3/17/2021 at 1:07 PM, Gail 8588 said:

Oops, I  should have posted this (Lilyhammer) in the other thread.  Sorry.

Yeah trying to keep TV and movies in a separate thread. Your fine will be in the mail.  ;)    

The Dig was good.

Has anyone seen the Tom Hanks western? Forget the name but heard it was good.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Greater - true story about University of Arkansas football player Brandon Burlsworth. Good movie IMO and thank God it wasn't overdone. Hollywood probably hates it because it includes (but doesn't hit you over the head with) a man with faith. Just a young man fighting aginst all odds to live out a dream and loaded with simple, honest, integrity and yes, God forbid, faith. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

When Harry Met Sally - best "rom com" ever. :) Hadn't seen in a long time, holds up so well. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

For rom coms, also "Forget Paris" - Crystal at his prime.

• Moderators

Two movies that aren't exactly cheery but good (quality) films, both about WW 2: The Pianist and The Zookeeper's Wife. Both on Netflix. 

• Members

I will check out The Zookeepers Wife, thanks.  I’ve seen the Pianist.

a friend of mine recommended documentaries The Hunt for the Skinwalker and The Secrets of the Skinwalker Ranch on Hulu. Another recommendation was The Tread on Netflix.

I tried watching The Tread but part of the narration is done with the actual recorded voice of the protagonist and I wasn’t able to hear everything he said.  I will try it again when I am able to concentrate more fully.  

The Tread is about a man who gets fed up with the politics of his small town and takes matters into his own hands with a homemade tank.  True story.

The Skinwalker are about unusual sightings, UFO stuff.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks will check those out.

Just saw Palm Springs, a "romcom" where two people are stuck in a day that keeps repeating (similar to Groundhog Day). However this is IMO a seedier, more juvenile story and I can't recommend it, although apparently it got high reviews. Far inferior to Groundhog Day. 

• Members

Groundhog Day is a “classic” and I love it.  Thx for the tip, I won’t bother watching Palm Springs.

I don’t care about the Oscars and I could care less about what anyone in that industry’s political POV is... however it was good to see Nomadland win awards.  It’s streaming on Hulu right now.  I highly recommend it.  Btw, I also think Hulu is a good deal at 6$ a month.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks! I just saw Green Zone, an Iraqi wartime action film based somewhat loosely on a true story, starring Matt Damon. It's good for what it is, but being a war film, it's pretty violent much of the time, so fair warning.

• Moderators

Theory of Everything - Biopic of Stephen Hawking. The movie itself is OKish, but the actor deserved the Academy Award he got for playing Hawking. On Netflix.

• Members

Thank you widower2 for your movie suggestions. I feel like I haven't seen a move in forever. I really need to sign up for Netflix.:-)

• Like 1

• Moderators

You're welcome...the Netflix UI is a mess and they don't seem to care, but they do have a great selection :)  For now at least it's worth the money.

• Members

The Woman in the Window will be on Netflix this Friday.  I read the book quite a few years ago and even tho I don’t remember much I know it was a good thrilling plot..  There are some big name actors in the film as well.  I will have my alone “date night” buy some take out and watch it at home.  I’ll let you all know if it’s worth watching!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Caught "The Spiderwick Chronicles" on Netflix. A fantasy flick about a family who moves into an old house and discovers various fantasy creatures. It's kinda OK IMO. 

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you @reader!  I looked at the list briefly and I thing I will check out “Run” on Netflix.

I watched The Woman in the Window over the weekend.  It is a good thriller but the violence is just too much for me anymore.  I recommend the movie but be warned!

• Moderators

Transsiberia - Woody Harrelson and Ben Kingsley star in a movie about a couple taking this long train ride from China to Russia, but get unintentionally involved with some shady characters. IMO a poor movie and not worth your time. 

• Moderators

Hachi: A Dog's Story on Netflix. True story about a dog who waits at the train station for his master to come home every day...and continues to do so after the master dies. I wanted a feel-good story like this and it has its moments, but frankly the script was weak and it's kinda bland. Still, if you're in the mood for something like this, you might find it worth your while. 

Also State of Play, starring Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe. A political crime thriller where a Congressman's asst dies...suicide or homicide? And if homicide, who and why? Excellent supporting cast including Helen Mirren and Jeff Daniels. Good film, a throwback to the crime thrillers of the 70s.

• Members

Thx.  I keep thinking about watching A Dog’s Story but I feel like it’ll just make me cry.  But maybe since I’ll be alone on Memorial Day I’ll grill out my own single burger and watch it.  Ya know, pity party..

also, Sate of Play is popping up on my suggestions and since you recommend it, I’ll give it a try.  thx!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Professor and the Madman: Mel Gibson and Sean Penn star in a story based on the real events that took place in coming up with the Oxford English Dicdtionary. Intense and "dark" at times, but a very good movie IMO. 

• Members

Intriguing, I don't associate developing a dictionary with "dark". 

I will check it out.  If it is very suspenseful, I probably won't make it through.  I don't do well with suspense. 

Appreciate the recommendation. 

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Gail 8588 said:

Intriguing, I don't associate developing a dictionary with "dark". 

:lol: That part isn't. As someone who has always been fascinated with language, in fact that was what attracted me to it. Other parts of it are though - basically this guy who helps build the dictionary does so from an insane asylum, so THAT part is dark, starkly so at times.

I will check it out.  If it is very suspenseful, I probably won't make it through.  I don't do well with suspense. 

I wouldn't say suspenseful exactly, again just parts of the poor crazy guy dealing with his craziness are rough. Forewarned. But it's also about friendship and fighting for something for the greater good. 

• Like 1

• Members

I have recently rediscovered YouTube, surprisingly. They have improved a lot in integrating everything you might want to see - news, documentaries, movies, music. All kinds of media in one place. And no monthly fee. There are pretty good older movies that you can watch free with ads, there are also movies for purchase/rent. You can also control what YouTube offers as “coming up next” by subscribing to channels you like. For those who have a smart TV that’s a good alternative to the paid services like Netflix and Amazon. Although I like to keep them all handy [emoji2370]
Recently watched The Contract and Flawless on YouTube, pretty good and don’t know how I have missed them back in the day. Subscribed and binging on Frontline and Timeline documentaries, just a whole new world there to explore.

Sent from my iPad using Grieving.com

• Like 1

• Moderators

Not movie related necessarily but there is a TON of stuff on Youtube, even just the free site. Sometimes I'll look up something there and something to the right will catch my eye and I'll watch that and it takes you down this wandering path...

• Like 1

• Members

Thank you for letting us know. I'm with you widower2 about the wandering path of YouTube. I go from wanting to learn French, to watching motivational videos to music videos.

• Moderators

Jack Reacher. Tom Cruise in a classic ex-military badass taking on the nasties. A twist or two which you're not quite sure of until the end too. I wouldn't call it great, but it's pretty good for that kind of action film.

• Like 1

• Members

Not yet. I did watch Black Widow at home when it came out. 

Not a great movie, but has some silly fun stuff.  Not going to win any awards but it's fun light entertainment.   Lots of blowing stuff up. 

• Like 1