Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My dad committed suicide

Mabela

• Members

Last week my dad committed suicide, and I haven't wanted to get out of bed since. I can't help thinking back to all the signs and opportunities to stop him. I wish I had hugged him more, told him I loved him more, anything to make him not want to do this. I don't want to be here without him. I just want him to come back.

• Members

Mabela,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I can only imagine how traumatic it must be to lose a loved one to suicide. Hopefully other people on this forum who can relate to this type of loss will reach out to you. I feel it must only add an extra layer of grief to such a significant loss already.

I wish everyday for one more hug or conversation with my beloved Dad. As your Dad’s passing was so sudden perhaps writing him a letter may help or talking aloud to him telling him how much you love him and how you wish he would have reached out to you. When my Mum passed suddenly writing her a letter really helped me so I had the chance to say all the things I needed to say to her and tell her I love her and thank her for being a wonderful Mum. 

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that you are not alone. Be kind to yourself. 

• Members

Hi Monty,

Thank you for your reply. I know it is not an easy topic to relate to, but I really appreciate your support. I think I will try the letter idea, because there is so much more I wish I had told him. I think it will help bring me closer to him and feel closure. Thank you for sharing your story with me. 

Mabela 

• Members

Hello Mabela,

I also lost my dad to suicide in September last year.

I wish I could give you some coping strategies but im still struggling to find them myself. 

I would love to tell you that it gets easier, but it doesn't. The waves of grief just become less often.

All the unanswered questions and what ifs you need to let go of, as hard as that is. There is absolutely nothing you could of done to help him and as awful as it is, it's what he wanted.

I'm really struggling myself to get my head around that also. If you want to speak to someone that understands please feel free to message me 

Archived