Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Are spousal support groups only for those who were married?

Rashell

• Members

I lost my boyfriend last week, my grief counselor told me to join some support groups and I would really like to go to a zoom meeting where everyone shares (like AA for grief) but I am having a hard time finding any. I found one called spousal support that I am signed up for this Saturday, but is this only for those who were married? Would it be okay for me to go to this meeting? Also if any of you know of any support groups (specifically for partner loss) that meet through zoom I would really appreciate it, been looking for the last couple days but am having a very hard time finding one.

• Members

First, I don't think your partner has to be a legal spouse.  It is about the relationship, not the title.  Second, check out Refuge in Grief.  This site led led me to a group that met last fall for eight weeks on Zoom.  I am so sorry for your loss.  I am going through the same and it is the worst experience of my life.

• Members

the grief support groups I went to for spouses were really "partners"--about the relationship not the legal definition 

• Moderators

No, absolutely not!  I lead a grief support group (non-Covid times as we can't meet by Zoom where I'm at) and welcome any relationship married or fiance, BF/GF.  It's the bond in the heart  we're dealing with, not the one on paper.  I'd have been just as devastated had my husband and I not yet gotten married!

Archived